View Poll Results: Does understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 5.88%
  • No

    16 94.12%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 75 of 75

Thread: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    I have no idea what you are talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    You don't.
    I don't what?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    The approach has to be changed..
    I agree. To what?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    And there are similarities with Vietnam - where evidently nothing has been learned..
    Such as?

  2. #72
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Which serves to eliminate the insurgency via eliminating its support. As I have stated before (and as Apdst crudely insulted me on without understanding) that by removing the water from the fish, an insurgency dies. Economic development and security removes reasons to support an insurgency and as the FARC have known for years, without support of the locals, there can be no insurgency.

    The notion that killing is key is pretty asinine.

    Here's Afghanistan Math:
    If there are 10 terrorists and you kill 2, how many do you have left?

    A) 8
    B) 0, as none want to fight anymore
    C) 50 as you pissed off all of their friends and family who now want to kill you

    Ignoring the basis for COIN, as Apdst has done repeatability here in favor of killing rather then development is why we'll be in Afghanistan forever. Unless you want to kill everyone, which I don't put past some people here, the focus really should be on security and development. Not seek and destroy.

    When in combat, you can't not kill the enemy and expect to win. Your unit's integrity will fall apart and become totally combat ineffective.


    What we disagree with is your position that it is the primary goal and how a COIN operation is judged.
    I never said that. Perhaps it's you that needs to learn to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #73
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When in combat, you can't not kill the enemy and expect to win.
    You still don't get it.

    You don't need to kill your enemy necessarily. You just need them to stop fighting you. That can be accomplished in many ways as Iraq and Malaya showed. Is killing necessary sometimes? Absolutely, especially for certain types of insurgents. It is necessary to kill all of your enemies? No. But it is not the primary goal of a COIN operation. Perhaps if you bothered to read (or understand) what you allegedly have claimed to have read, you'd understand that. I'd ask you to show in the literature of COIN something that supports your argument, but I know you haven't read a single thing. You are talking out of your rear and it is obvious to everyone.

    Your unit's integrity will fall apart and become totally combat ineffective.
    Tell that to the British who succeed beyond their dreams in Malaya (still having trouble finding that on the map aren't you? ).

    It is still hysterical how you say I don't have a clue yet everything I've said is echoed in the manuals and literature you claim you support.

    There is a reason why I back Bhkad on this despite disagreeing with mostly everything else. He understands what COIN is. It is not about killing your enemy as a primary goal. You still haven't understood that basic concept despite your claims that you have argued what the COIN manuals from the Army state. I suspect you haven't even bothered to read a single thing on COIN given your insistence upon killing.

    I never said that. Perhaps it's you that needs to learn to read.
    Sure you didn't. You just only discussed killing to the point you deliberately ignored all discussion about the other points of COIN. In fact, you insulted me for even mentioning the other aspects of COIN. Sure you never argued that. You just deliberately pretended all other aspects of COIN didn't matter. Sure you never argued that, you just treated everyone who argued that killing wasn't the primary goal of COIN as an idiot.

    Pretend all you want you never argued that. Too bad you can't go back and edit your posts to support the claim you are making here.

    You haven't shown you even know what the letters in COIN mean.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    You still don't get it.

    You don't need to kill your enemy necessarily. You just need them to stop fighting you. That can be accomplished in many ways as Iraq and Malaya showed. Is killing necessary sometimes? Absolutely, especially for certain types of insurgents. It is necessary to kill all of your enemies? No. But it is not the primary goal of a COIN operation. Perhaps if you bothered to read (or understand) what you allegedly have claimed to have read, you'd understand that. I'd ask you to show in the literature of COIN something that supports your argument, but I know you haven't read a single thing. You are talking out of your rear and it is obvious to everyone.



    Tell that to the British who succeed beyond their dreams in Malaya (still having trouble finding that on the map aren't you? ).

    It is still hysterical how you say I don't have a clue yet everything I've said is echoed in the manuals and literature you claim you support.

    There is a reason why I back Bhkad on this despite disagreeing with mostly everything else. He understands what COIN is. It is not about killing your enemy as a primary goal. You still haven't understood that basic concept despite your claims that you have argued what the COIN manuals from the Army state. I suspect you haven't even bothered to read a single thing on COIN given your insistence upon killing.



    Sure you didn't. You just only discussed killing to the point you deliberately ignored all discussion about the other points of COIN. In fact, you insulted me for even mentioning the other aspects of COIN. Sure you never argued that. You just deliberately pretended all other aspects of COIN didn't matter. Sure you never argued that, you just treated everyone who argued that killing wasn't the primary goal of COIN as an idiot.

    Pretend all you want you never argued that. Too bad you can't go back and edit your posts to support the claim you are making here.

    You haven't shown you even know what the letters in COIN mean.
    And, the quickest way to make them stop fighting you, is to take way their combat power. The quickest way to take away their combat power, is to kill them. Do you understand what combat power is? Prolly not, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, the quickest way to make them stop fighting you, is to take way their combat power. The quickest way to take away their combat power, is to kill them. Do you understand what combat power is? Prolly not, huh?
    I guess you do think we can kill our way of this.

    Tell me, can you kill someone you can't find? You still have no idea what the fish-water concept is do you?

    You know, if you actually answered any of those, I wouldn't treat you so badly. You pretend you understand, utterly fail to show you understand and then constantly run away from challenges to show you understand anything in this subject.

    So much for your reading any of the alleged literature you claim to be supporting. Well, you being dishonest isn't exactly shocking news.

    It is hysterical how you think you are arguing what people like Nagl and Petreaus are when your whole argument is killing. Total failure to even understand their primary points. You clearly did not read a single thing about COIN.

    Can you even name a single piece of literature you claim to be supporting?

    Can you define COIN for me?

    I'm betting not.

    Run Away! Run Away! Don't prove you understand anything! In fact arguing the OPPOSITE of what COIN experts have been saying proves you understand them!

    LOL.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •