View Poll Results: Does understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 5.88%
  • No

    16 94.12%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 75

Thread: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

  1. #51
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, I'm not going to pour out the insults the way you do
    Please learn English before replying.

    but are you seriously suggesting that if the enemy is killing more of your soldiers than you are of the enemy, you wouldn't see that a bad thing and make adjustments to your operations?
    In a COIN operation, body count alone isn't a good measure of anything. Furthermore, you just outright ignored (or failed to comprehend due to your inability to understand English) that there are examples in history were negative body count was in no way correlated to success or failure.

    And, again, for a force that has near limitless replacements, a negative body count that results in their opponent finding it increasingly harder to field troops, they are winning. If force A can replace units faster then force B, and it is cheaper per unit for force A, then force A should in pure operational terms, apply attrition to wear down force B barring other strategy.

    Thank God!, you never served in the military.
    Thank God you never ran a COIN operation.

    Still have no idea where Malaya is eh?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #52
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're not serious?!?...

    Epic Fail!
    In terms of understanding attrition on a cost basis, it does serve as a useful example, be it two extreme ones. Of course it does not address the human cost of conflict, but right now that isn't the subject of the discussion.

    The point was to highlight the issue of attrition, something you have just recently shown you have no understanding of.

    Ever hear of the Korean War? How about period in the Iraq-Iran war where Iraq sued for peace? Attrition at play. You insult me for allegedly not knowing, but you don't even have a grasp of the concepts.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 11-04-09 at 10:05 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #53
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    In terms of understanding attrition on a cost basis, it does serve as a useful example, be it two extreme ones. Of course it does not address the human cost of conflict, but right now that isn't the subject of the discussion.

    The point was to highlight the issue of attrition, something you have just recently shown you have no understanding of.

    Ever hear of the Korean War? How about period in the Iraq-Iran war where Iraq sued for peace? Attrition at play. You insult me for allegedly not knowing, but you don't even have a grasp of the concepts.
    yeah, I know, you got it all figured out. No point in even talking to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #54
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    yeah, I know, you got it all figured out. No point in even talking to you.
    Still can't find Malaya on the map eh?

    Saying I know nothing....and then proceeding to ignore my arguments which show you are wrong is hardly a good way of argumentation. But that may be due to your clinically proven inability to understand English. I do find it hysterical how you proceed to insult me on my alleged ignorance...and then you can't even attempt to refute me.

    "You're wrong!"
    "Why?"
    "uh........"

    While I realize you have problems with English, here's a link to a dictionary:
    Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

    Feel free to look up the terms we've been discussing so you can finally understand just what we are talking about.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Yes, that does happen. From my experience it was rare.

    So do you concede your original point?

    You said that when U.S. forces cause collateral damage they are terrorists, which, of course, is insane.
    Nope I don't. Cause as you just admitted it does happen. Even if it is rare. Those people obviously think that the US are the terrorists.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Just be glad some of the people who like to indulge in these more extreme examples of moral equivalence aren't writing our laws.

    If they did, a person whose foot slipped off the brakes causing his car to run over a person would receive the same sentence as one who tortured somebody to death.
    Umm actually I'm not argueing what the law says. That is clearly defined. I'm talking about how people can feel and think.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you seriously agreeing that a negative body count is no big deal? That you can deal with the enemy doing more damage to your combat power, than you're doing to his? Is that what you're suggesting, "Captain"?

    Please, tell me it isn't.
    That wasn't the argument I responded to. You are changing the subject. That's not what I said. I said that killing many enemy fighters isn't as critical to victory in a COIN environment than you would think. In fact, it's not really important at all.

    In Iraq and AFG, it is very common for COIN units to take more casualties than the insurgent force. Especially in Iraq, when units were plagued with IED attacks, taking multiple casualties at a time, and often, not killing or capturing any enemy during the attack. "Body Count" is a seriously antiquated term...I would include friendly injuries and enemy captured as well because they are taken out of the fight.

    Sarge, please don't put words in my mouth. Your "body count" premise shows how out of touch you are. As far as you should be concerned, I am a walking COIN library. I can answer any of your questions. If you aren't up to speed on the Contemporary Operating Environment, it's OK. Just ask the questions, I'll give you the answers.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Nope I don't. Cause as you just admitted it does happen. Even if it is rare. Those people obviously think that the US are the terrorists.
    OK, buddy; whatever you say.

    It's ok to just say that you are to proud to admit that you made a poor argument and was summarily destroyed in front of everyone.

    We all know anyway.

  9. #59
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    That wasn't the argument I responded to. You are changing the subject. That's not what I said. I said that killing many enemy fighters isn't as critical to victory in a COIN environment than you would think. In fact, it's not really important at all.

    In Iraq and AFG, it is very common for COIN units to take more casualties than the insurgent force. Especially in Iraq, when units were plagued with IED attacks, taking multiple casualties at a time, and often, not killing or capturing any enemy during the attack. "Body Count" is a seriously antiquated term...I would include friendly injuries and enemy captured as well because they are taken out of the fight.

    Sarge, please don't put words in my mouth. Your "body count" premise shows how out of touch you are. As far as you should be concerned, I am a walking COIN library. I can answer any of your questions. If you aren't up to speed on the Contemporary Operating Environment, it's OK. Just ask the questions, I'll give you the answers.
    That's because you responded to a comment made to another poster. Go back and read the posts, in their proper contexts, then try again.

    I can understand why you would ignore the posts of some posters, but to understand the proper context of my posts, you must read their's, which are the ones I was responding to.
    Last edited by apdst; 11-04-09 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #60
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Deos understanding your enemy make you a terrorist?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's because you responded to a comment made to another poster. Go back and read the posts, in their proper contexts, then try again.
    Except that when reading the thread, that isn't at all what happened. In fact, the very post you responded to you screwed it up by failing to understand what that poster was even talking about. This likely stems from your inability to comprehend the written English language.

    You still don't get that it's not about the body count, it's about a whole variety of factors.

    How sad. Something so relatively basic slips through your grasp.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •