View Poll Results: What is your politics?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • social conservative, economic conservative, aggressive foreign policy

    2 5.56%
  • social conservative, economic conservative, internationalist foreign policy

    3 8.33%
  • social liberal, economic conservative, aggressive foreign policy

    8 22.22%
  • social liberal, economic conservative, internationalist foreign policy

    7 19.44%
  • social conservative, economic liberal, aggressive foreign policy

    3 8.33%
  • social conservative, economic liberal, internationalist foreign policy

    1 2.78%
  • social liberal, economic liberal, aggressive foreign policy

    2 5.56%
  • social liberal, economic liberal, internationalist foreign policy

    10 27.78%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62

Thread: What is your politics?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Not really. The BNs are still relatively ethnic. Particularly the police. When I was an advisor to the IA, my BN was about 40% Kurd, 15% Turkomen and the rest Arab. However, because of the geographical location, most of the non-Kurds were "Kurdified", if you get my drift. My BN was an exception, most are exclusively ethnic.
    I am very interested in this topic. I have heard the police are quite ethnic. The IA I thought otherwise. Your unit sounds like it is a good mix - not the same mix as the country (60% Shia, 20% Sunni, 20% Kurd), but mixed nonetheless. In BNs more ethnic, what is the mix in effective leadership positions? (Junior NCO, Senior NCO, Officers) Are they assigned to locales with the same ethnicity? Do they act sectarian to the local populations?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    introduce an NCO corps
    Uhhhhh...I wouldn't put to much stock in that
    Another item I am interested in. You have a front row seat. Are Iraqi NCOs demostrating improved leadership at all? How are they getting better? How are they falling short?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    We allowed the power-grabbers to get into position to further their respective ethnic causes and steal money. They are and always have been completely corrupt. I wouldn't call it a democracy.
    Sounds like our government...messy isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    The Shia's are running the show and the Kurds are going to get theirs. The Sunnis? I'll let you use your imagination. Iranian influence should be an extreme concern. I've got some contacts in the know....their observations aren't good their predictions are scary.
    Kurds will get theirs for sure. I have seen, from afar, what I believe to be actions independent of Tehran. Like the Basra mission against Sadr forces. I worry about the lack of reconciliation between Shia and Sunni. I am very interested in this too. What do your contacts tell you?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Aw, come on; I got plenty of NCOs in my unit that old.
    Dude, I am 5'8" and weigh 240 now. As a civilian would be good if they don't have weight restrictions....do they?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    We need civilian interpreters with clearances. You would be perfect. I'd recommend pursuing it. Teach yourself Arabic on Rosetta Stone and then contact the State Dept. I'm serious. American terps with clearances are gold.
    I'll look into this. I have almost bought the Rosetta Stone - Arabic like 4 times now. I took 3 semesters of it in Seattle. Cool language.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Sabah al-noor, sayydi.
    shukran jazeelan!


    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    As does yours. I hope that I didn't offend you. At least your a Hawk that has put on the uniform. Unlike Wolfowitz, Perle and Cheney.
    You didn't offend me. I was a little shocked, since I have only heard that before from anti-war activists. I think it is not a fair requirement, that to be a Hawk you have to either have served or be serving. When we go to war, we need public support and good public support happens when you believe in the mission. This requires Hawks that are not serving. I like what Wolfowitz, Perle and Cheney have done. I like what Bush has done. I think it is damn smart. We won't really know for years.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Kirkuk is going to be ugly, but the Kurds are going to get theirs, trust me on that one. Been there many times. I have written several papers on Kirkuk for my masters. Predictive analysis mostly. I would like for you to read them.
    I think both Kirkuk and Open Lists are going to be ugly. Open Lists because it threatens the power structure that has formed from these groups. That is what may breakup some of this corruption - I said some mind you.

    I would really like to read your papers.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I am very interested in this topic. I have heard the police are quite ethnic. The IA I thought otherwise. Your unit sounds like it is a good mix - not the same mix as the country (60% Shia, 20% Sunni, 20% Kurd), but mixed nonetheless. In BNs more ethnic, what is the mix in effective leadership positions? (Junior NCO, Senior NCO, Officers) Are they assigned to locales with the same ethnicity? Do they act sectarian to the local populations?
    Well, in my BN, the Commander was a Kurd; but was the kind of Kurd that could work with Arabs. In a mixed area, the ethnic lines get blurred. He was an Arabic speaker, business guy. Never military until after the invasion. Not even Pesh. But people respected him in the AO. We had Shias for an XO and OPS officer. One was much better than the other. They were both Gulf vets and Iran vets. Both were pretty tough. The XO was clearly there for the power...the OPS officer was great. Worked more than any Arab I've ever encountered. He "got it"...IMO.
    Basically, the NCOs were just treated like the jundees (soldiers), except for a few that had officer potential but didn't have the bribe money for a commission from MOD or OCS. It was HARD to get the team and squad leaders to take charge and accept responsibility. Don't get me wrong, some of the company commanders and platoon leaders were garbage, also. It's weird because Iraqis kind of put their studs on staff, instead of on the line sometimes. There were some good dudes in the line companies, but unfortunately, sometimes it's about who you know and not what you can do. We fought SO HARD to get a couple of guys to Officer School, but they didn't have the money or the connections. Sad.

    Another item I am interested in. You have a front row seat. Are Iraqi NCOs demostrating improved leadership at all? How are they getting better? How are they falling short?
    It's been two years, but people don't change that much. I heard that the NCO corps is improving; I sure hope so. They are the biggest challenge in the Iraqi Army. The Iraqi culture is kind of aristocratic, to where the officers make ALL the decisions. I hope we can change that.

    Sounds like our government...messy isn't it?
    Except our governments aren't ordering hits on people.

    Kurds will get theirs for sure. I have seen, from afar, what I believe to be actions independent of Tehran. Like the Basra mission against Sadr forces. I worry about the lack of reconciliation between Shia and Sunni. I am very interested in this too. What do your contacts tell you?
    The Kurds are going to come out of this as the winners, but I don't think they will ever declare indepedence, which they basically have now. They tell me that the creeping Iranian influence is scary. PM me and I'll foward you some emails that I've gotten from them.

    Dude, I am 5'8" and weigh 240 now. As a civilian would be good if they don't have weight restrictions....do they?
    Not for civilians. We had a 60 year old man from Dallas that spoke Arabic, persian, turkish and Kurdish. He was a force multiplier.

    I'll look into this. I have almost bought the Rosetta Stone - Arabic like 4 times now. I took 3 semesters of it in Seattle. Cool language.
    Yeah, it is. I picked it up over there after getting about 8 weeks worth of class here in the states. Easier to read and write than you think.

    shukran jazeelan!
    Al'afu

    You didn't offend me. I was a little shocked, since I have only heard that before from anti-war activists. I think it is not a fair requirement, that to be a Hawk you have to either have served or be serving.
    No, but it helps your cred, in my eyes. Career politicians that are hawks just rub me the wrong way. John McCain sending me to war? At least I respect him and know he's asking me to do something that he has done himself.

    When we go to war, we need public support and good public support happens when you believe in the mission.
    Unless said war is unjust (Walzer definition) and not for defense of the nation. In that case, I hope the public doesn't support it. Then the troops never have to deal with it.

    This requires Hawks that are not serving. I like what Wolfowitz, Perle and Cheney have done.
    I don't. I totally resent them and always will. Not only did they unnecessarily invade a country, but they didn't plan it worth a damn and then were to arrogant to admit they made any mistakes or acknowledge the hardships it put on us. It took a retired General and a West Point professor to come up with The Surge to save their butt.

    I like what Bush has done. I think it is damn smart.
    Oddly, I don't hold Bush responsible. I'm not sure he could envision what happened. And I kind of view him as aloof through the whole thing. I'm most disappointed in Powell. He could have stopped this. He knew it was wrong, but was the good Soldier, saluted, and did the King's bidding. He has to look at himself in the mirror at night. I hope it hurts.

    We won't really know for years.
    No, we won't. You might be right. I doubt it. Arabs are Arabs.

    I think both Kirkuk and Open Lists are going to be ugly. Open Lists because it threatens the power structure that has formed from these groups. That is what may breakup some of this corruption - I said some mind you.
    Yeah, the Kurds are just as corrupt, but since they don't kill Americans, I tend to like them better. Kirkuk is a powderkeg. It will be one of the last places we pull out of.

    I would really like to read your papers.
    I have them on an external hard drive somewhere. I'll try to dig them up for you.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Except our governments aren't ordering hits on people.
    Well, their version of democracy is going to look a little different than ours. I don't know whether that would be considered a deal breaker or not - probably. We may scream and shout and vandalize and other actions in the heat of political controversy, but at least we aren't killing candidates or people of the opposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Unless said war is unjust (Walzer definition) and not for defense of the nation. In that case, I hope the public doesn't support it. Then the troops never have to deal with it.
    Is this Michael Walzer? I found a couple of books by him: "Arguing about War" and "Just and Unjust Wars". Which would you recommend to me?

    You think Iraq was unjust, even with WMD suspicions and that building a democracy isn't justification enough, right?

    I look forward to reading the book you recommend and see if my view changes. That would be a blow to me, after 7 years of supporting this.


    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    I don't. I totally resent them and always will. Not only did they unnecessarily invade a country, but they didn't plan it worth a damn and then were to arrogant to admit they made any mistakes or acknowledge the hardships it put on us. It took a retired General and a West Point professor to come up with The Surge to save their butt.
    You aren't going to like what I am getting ready to say. I think that the lack of planning was planned. How's that for fancy dancing! I mean that their objective was to install a real democracy. They had to hide this from Iran. They had to tear down the existing structures supporting Sunni power. So they did not install a Sunni strongman. The disbanded the Iraqi Army and rebuilt it. They let the insurgency turn into a civil war, although I don't see how they planned for that. Aww, hell that's probably giving them WAY to much credit. I can picture Rumsfeld saying "There's no insurgency...". Ok, never mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Arabs are Arabs.
    Well, they did it in the 12th century, I believe...

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: What is your politics?

    There's not sufficient range here, as the categories of "economic conservative" and "economic liberal" don't really account for non-capitalists.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Well, their version of democracy is going to look a little different than ours. I don't know whether that would be considered a deal breaker or not - probably. We may scream and shout and vandalize and other actions in the heat of political controversy, but at least we aren't killing candidates or people of the opposition.
    Yeah, disheartening to witness.

    Is this Michael Walzer? I found a couple of books by him: "Arguing about War" and "Just and Unjust Wars". Which would you recommend to me?
    Just and Unjust Wars in particular. He's the modern day Thomas Aquinas, IMO

    You think Iraq was unjust, even with WMD suspicions and that building a democracy isn't justification enough, right?
    Yes. National Defense! Was Iraq a threat to Americans? Hardly. There were more grave threats to take care of at the time.

    I look forward to reading the book you recommend and see if my view changes. That would be a blow to me, after 7 years of supporting this.
    It's a tough read, but a good one. I hope you see it my way.


    You aren't going to like what I am getting ready to say. I think that the lack of planning was planned. How's that for fancy dancing! I mean that their objective was to install a real democracy. They had to hide this from Iran. They had to tear down the existing structures supporting Sunni power. So they did not install a Sunni strongman. The disbanded the Iraqi Army and rebuilt it. They let the insurgency turn into a civil war, although I don't see how they planned for that. Aww, hell that's probably giving them WAY to much credit. I can picture Rumsfeld saying "There's no insurgency...". Ok, never mind.
    If this is true, all the more reason to hate them.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Just and Unjust Wars in particular. He's the modern day Thomas Aquinas, IMO
    I've just ordered it.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Yes. National Defense! Was Iraq a threat to Americans? Hardly. There were more grave threats to take care of at the time.
    I agree Iraq was not a threat, but a potential threat, based on WMD and links to terrorists. Turns out not so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    It's a tough read, but a good one. I hope you see it my way.
    It'll go on the pile, maybe on the top. It would be hard to admit a change of mind, but I am open to the possibility.


    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    If this is true, all the more reason to hate them.
    Disbanding the army and bringing Shia to power I can see for creating a power-sharing government. The idea that they let the insurgency happen is way out there, and I don't think it's true. They wouldn't put you guys in harms way like that.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    There's not sufficient range here, as the categories of "economic conservative" and "economic liberal" don't really account for non-capitalists.
    Sorry about that, there just weren't enough options - the limit is 10 I believe. I was also short on the foreign policy choices with many interested in a non-interventionist option. It may be that separate polls for each of social/economic/foreign policy would be in order. I don't know what the options should be for each of them, however.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Sorry about that, there just weren't enough options - the limit is 10 I believe. I was also short on the foreign policy choices with many interested in a non-interventionist option. It may be that separate polls for each of social/economic/foreign policy would be in order. I don't know what the options should be for each of them, however.
    I'd briefly considered using "leftist," but there's too much variation there also, since liberalism and socialism are worlds apart. Liberals, if they do commend "socialism," will commend European social democracy and existing social programs in the U.S. due to the common misconception that those elements constitute "socialist programs."

    However, they're hostile to actual socialism. You'll hear many of the same talking points about the public ownership and management of the means of production from liberals as you will from conservatives, all of them relating to the ill-informed sentiment that there's a "utopian" aspect of this that fails to consider "human nature." There's always some degree of ambiguity involved with such a claim (as well as a consistent failure to acknowledge successful implementations of socialism that are cited), but it seems to be associated with the common misconception that socialism eliminates remunerational differences and naively assumes that individuals will exert themselves "for the common good." As this is untrue and completely unrelated to any socialist economic theory, it's perhaps the weakest of the many asinine anti-socialist talking points available.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    I'd briefly considered using "leftist," but there's too much variation there also, since liberalism and socialism are worlds apart. Liberals, if they do commend "socialism," will commend European social democracy and existing social programs in the U.S. due to the common misconception that those elements constitute "socialist programs."
    Keep in mind that the main thrust was to show differences between peoples social, economic and foreign policy views, it is hard for me to say "economic social democrat", since I believe social democrats encampass social policy as well. But I can do it.

    Ok, so how about the following:
    - economic social democrat (was economic liberal)
    - economic capitalist (was economic conservative)
    - economic socialist

    those names work? need others?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    However, they're hostile to actual socialism. You'll hear many of the same talking points about the public ownership and management of the means of production from liberals as you will from conservatives, all of them relating to the ill-informed sentiment that there's a "utopian" aspect of this that fails to consider "human nature." There's always some degree of ambiguity involved with such a claim (as well as a consistent failure to acknowledge successful implementations of socialism that are cited), but it seems to be associated with the common misconception that socialism eliminates remunerational differences and naively assumes that individuals will exert themselves "for the common good." As this is untrue and completely unrelated to any socialist economic theory, it's perhaps the weakest of the many asinine anti-socialist talking points available.
    I thought this to be the case as well to a degree. Could you briefly explain what socialism does in these aspects?

    Also, since we are on the topic, how does the elimination of money work out? I was thinking the other day, that a socialist country, that uses no money, may have to interact with other countries with money. How do they do this?

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: What is your politics?

    Answer:

    Libertarian.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •