View Poll Results: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there should be nothing wrong with stating the truth

    50 66.67%
  • There must compromise language that won't offend

    8 10.67%
  • No way, it would offend Muslims

    5 6.67%
  • other, please explain

    12 16.00%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 143

Thread: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

  1. #121
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    See those of you arguing against me here are doing so because of PC "values". Note the quotation marks in the word values there. I personally believe that PC'ness is nothing more than an attempt to cater to everyone by modifying their speech. I believe that it inhibits the truth. I believe that it hurts more than it helps.

    This is why you think that I don't "understand" your points of view. I do. I just don't agree with it. I see being blunt as the right thing to do because it lets people know where you stand and doesn't attempt to hide the truth behind thinly vieled politeness.

    Remember what Lincoln said? If not look to my signature.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #122
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    After 9/11, innocent people of the Muslim faith have been victims involved in hate crimes. This is only one reason why they should care. We've been though this already.
    Again, we are talking about speech. Not hate crimes.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #123
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    See those of you arguing against me here are doing so because of PC "values". Note the quotation marks in the word values there. I personally believe that PC'ness is nothing more than an attempt to cater to everyone by modifying their speech. I believe that it inhibits the truth. I believe that it hurts more than it helps.
    No, you didn't say it inhibited the truth when we were talking about the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. You were even able to infer all sorts of things on your own. The Vietnam Veterans' Memorial didn't seem to be an issue of "PC" according to what you said. Why is it an issue here? Why is it an issue now?

    This is why you think that I don't "understand" your points of view. I do. I just don't agree with it. I see being blunt as the right thing to do because it lets people know where you stand and doesn't attempt to hide the truth behind thinly vieled politeness.
    The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial didn't hide the truth according to you. But the boy's memorial is hiding the truth?

    If the words "Murdered by Muslim Terrorists" were omitted, do you honestly think that people would be confused about where your stand on the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  4. #124
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Again, we are talking about speech. Not hate crimes.
    I see you've forgotten what we talked about already. Do you not remember when I said that this type of "speech" fuels the extremists? This is absolutely a reason why everyone should care, whether the statement is about them or not. Extremists in this country brings the entire country down.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #125
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    No, you didn't say it inhibited the truth when we were talking about the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. You were even able to infer all sorts of things on your own. The Vietnam Veterans' Memorial didn't seem to be an issue of "PC" according to what you said. Why is it an issue here? Why is it an issue now?
    I provided more than one defination of PC'ness in that post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial didn't hide the truth according to you. But the boy's memorial is hiding the truth?


    If the words "Murdered by Muslim Terrorists" were omitted, do you honestly think that people would be confused about where your stand on the issue?
    Where did I say that it is hiding the truth? You seem to keep forgetting that I am not argueing against the words "<insert name> died on 9/11" Please stop infering that I am. Arguing for something doesn't always mean that you are arguing against something.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #126
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I see you've forgotten what we talked about already. Do you not remember when I said that this type of "speech" fuels the extremists? This is absolutely a reason why everyone should care, whether the statement is about them or not. Extremists in this country brings the entire country down.
    And I see that you forgot my response your points.

    And while it might "fuel the fringe extremists" it can also have the effect of fueling people against the fringe extremists. And since there are more non-extremeists it could very well overwhelm them to the point of canceling out any fuel that they gather from this.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #127
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And I see that you forgot my response your points.
    If your memory hasn't failed you, then you already know what my response to that was.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #128
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I provided more than one defination of PC'ness in that post.
    And your definition is not consistent, since you don't apply it judiciously. Rather makes it pointless.

    Where did I say that it is hiding the truth? You seem to keep forgetting that I am not argueing against the words "<insert name> died on 9/11" Please stop infering that I am. Arguing for something doesn't always mean that you are arguing against something.
    So if we omit "Murdered by Muslim Terrorists" its not hiding the truth? Then why does it matter if the inscription was omitted?
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 10-30-09 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  9. #129
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    If your memory hasn't failed you, then you already know what my response to that was.
    Your response was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Simple solution is to not include the plaque and avoid the problem altogether. Why go thru the hassle?
    It's not a simple solution to what the father wants. You're basing your arguement around "it will offend people" and because of that crime will ensue. Not a valid arguement as those that were harmed after 9/11 was in response what happened on 9/11. We have since moved past that stage. Do you really think that regular muslims will be harmed at the simple erection of this memorial if it says what the father wants it to? Some how I doubt it very seriously. When was the last time a muslim was harmed because of what happened on 9/11?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    And your definition is not consistent, since you don't apply it judiciously. Rather makes it pointless.
    There are lots of words and phrases that have multiple meanings and each one is applied to the context that it belongs to. For example "Gay". It has two different meanings. That is what I did. How I apply each one is consistant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    So if we omit "Murdered by Muslim Terrorists" its not hiding the truth? Then why does it matter if the inscription was omitted?
    It may not matter to you. It does to the father. Try looking at it from his point of view. Since it is about his son I think that we should respect his wishes. Since either phrase is the truth and it should not offend anyone but the terrorists what is the problem?

    Ugh. I can see this whole arguement going round and round and round. How about we just agree to disagree on this?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #130
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should inscription 'Murdered by Muslim Terrorists' be allowed on Memorial Plaque?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    No given the chance I would rather be telling the truth instead of hiding it. And I do have a choice. As is evidenced by the fact that I support the father in what he wants quite openly.
    No one is "hiding" the truth. Hyperbole is not bolstering your argument.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •