View Poll Results: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 47.67%
  • No

    40 46.51%
  • Other/Don't know

    5 5.81%
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 310

Thread: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
    I think he just means that in his opinion it would be superior if government did not give any specific privileges to couples because marriage has traditionally been in religion for the vast majority of religions.
    Right, and that's an opinion only the grossly ignorant hold.

    Give every child rearing couple access to marriage.

    Deny all childless couples marriage.

    How is that not equal?
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-18-09 at 04:05 PM.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Equal protection of the law is a constitutional right. Marriage is a form of protection the law offers, so it is constitutionally required that it be applied equally regardless of sexual orientation.
    What about minority housing grants?

  3. #83
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What about minority housing grants?
    Am I correct that your argument is that housing grants targetting minorities violate equal protection, therefore we shouldn't apply equal protection in the case of gay marriage either?

    If so, that logic is flawed. If we are violating the constitution in one case, that doesn't mean we should just throw away the whole thing, it means we should aim to correct the case where we are violating it.

    But, what minority housing grants are you referring to? I'm not aware of any government program that gives housing grants on the basis of race. Can you name the specific program or provide a link to a governmental site detailing it?

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Am I correct that your argument is that housing grants targetting minorities violate equal protection, therefore we shouldn't apply equal protection in the case of gay marriage either?

    If so, that logic is flawed. If we are violating the constitution in one case, that doesn't mean we should just throw away the whole thing, it means we should aim to correct the case where we are violating it.

    But, what minority housing grants are you referring to? I'm not aware of any government program that gives housing grants on the basis of race. Can you name the specific program or provide a link to a governmental site detailing it?
    UNCF came to mind. Not my point though so I'll let him argue it.

  5. #85
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    UNCF came to mind. Not my point though so I'll let him argue it.
    The United Negro College Fund isn't a government program, so, how does that relate to the equal protection clause?

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The United Negro College Fund isn't a government program, so, how does that relate to the equal protection clause?
    They receive government funding.

    Or are you ok with, say, the Boy Scouts discriminating while receiving government funding?

  7. #87
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    381

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    It is funny how whenever liberals want something immoral, they claim it to be a precious constitutional right...even though the Constitution doesn't bestow rights, it is simply a check on governmental power.
    Last edited by K-1; 10-18-09 at 05:57 PM.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Abortion and interracial marriage are still an issues, you'll be waiting a long time.
    Rightly so....

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    It is funny how whenever liberals want something immoral, they claim it to be a precious constitutional right...even though the Constitution doesn't bestow rights, it is simply a check on governmental power.
    I enjoy how the left typically confuses the right to marry with the right to freely associate.

    This confusion is where all the "legislate who we can love" arguments come from.

  10. #90
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27

    fyi Re: Is Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    It is funny how whenever liberals want something immoral, they claim it to be a precious constitutional right...even though the Constitution doesn't bestow rights, it is simply a check on governmental power.
    How about saying it this way?
    Is the government's refusal on recognizing gay marriage a valid exercise of government power? I don't see how this changes the nature of the debate, the issue at hand is pretty much the same.
    Last edited by Lord Voldemort; 10-18-09 at 06:07 PM.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •