View Poll Results: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The rule against weapons on campus needs to be enforced! What sort of message does that send?

    3 4.84%
  • He should have gotten less time since it wasn't a very deadly weapon and his intent was not violent

    3 4.84%
  • I'm not sure about this one...

    0 0%
  • He should have had a warning.

    7 11.29%
  • What is wrong with school official these days? Seriously, this is ridiculous!

    49 79.03%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 148

Thread: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car?

  1. #51
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I don't think that's the issue, I think a just outcome is the purpose. The policy is for safety, and since the Scout clearly demonstrated a concern for safety, he fulfilled the intent of the policy.
    I'm not saying I disagree with you because I don't think the punishment was appropriate either.

    However, I do think that some form of punishment must be given. Five days suspension was too much. One day suspension would have been enough, if suspension was the minimum for such a violation. If the minimum was detention, then I believe detention would have been sufficient in this case.

    There needs to be some sort of punishment because the eagle scout did violate a rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  2. #52
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Students may be subject to disciplinary action....
    3. Possessing a weapon. Authorized law enforcement officials are the only persons permitted to have a weapon in their possession while on school property or at a school function.
    4. Displaying what appears to be a weapon.
    5. Threatening to use any weapon.
    There is no requirement to be punished by the school. What is a weapon is not specifically defined, however law enforcement personnel carry fire arms. Apparently the scout didn't not consider a 2" pocket knife to be a weapon in the traditional sense likely envision in school policy. And increase from 5 days to 20 days is not only unjust, it's unreasonable under any perspective.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #53
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    They are worried about a little knife in a car, because "a student could possibily get stabbed."

    But think about it.... Who needs a knife to stab another student when someone can sharpen a pentech? I am willing to bet there are many pencil stabbings every year. Man, i cannot wait until it is illegal to bring a pen and pencil to school I predict it will happen before i am 50....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #54
    Student LowRevs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Downeast in NC
    Last Seen
    07-12-12 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    272

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    How about the 8yo?

    If the pocket knife was a danger how about the tire irons and the gasoline.

    Our entire education system has gone to liberal lala land. It's no wonder they make such magnificent decisions on the education of our children.

    HOME SCHOOL for the good of your children and your country people!
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.--Thomas Jefferson

  5. #55
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by LowRevs View Post
    How about the 8yo?

    If the pocket knife was a danger how about the tire irons and the gasoline.

    Our entire education system has gone to liberal lala land. It's no wonder they make such magnificent decisions on the education of our children.

    HOME SCHOOL for the good of your children and your country people!
    Taking it even one step further, how about vehicles themselves Something tells me that when a student is about to go ape****, anything can be used as a weapon.

    Offensive linemen from Lakeland Florida should be banned from school because they could kill a teacher with one hand.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #56
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There is no requirement to be punished by the school.
    Of course there is! If a student breaks a rule, and if caught by any authority on campus, the student will suffer the consequences. You can't expect nothing to happen when rules are broken? What would be the purpose of having the rules in the first place??

    What is a weapon is not specifically defined, however law enforcement personnel carry fire arms. Apparently the scout didn't not consider a 2" pocket knife to be a weapon in the traditional sense likely envision in school policy. And increase from 5 days to 20 days is not only unjust, it's unreasonable under any perspective.
    The student would not be the appropriate one to interpret what a "weapon" is. The definition of "weapon" is and should be written within the school policy, and knives are considered weapons in most, if not all, school districts.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  7. #57
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    It was probably a good idea to have a survival kit and a knife. No survival kit is complete without something that one could use to cut something. The ruling was incredibly idiotic. Zero tolerance is just another insulation against frivolous lawsuits as stated before, another reason why we need lawsuit reform. There is no excuse for lack of common sense when punishing someone.

  8. #58
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    One size fits all policies like zero tolerance merely create more problems than they solve by treating every situation the same when they clearly often are not. It isn't fair, because it completely ignores the realities of each situation.

  9. #59
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Only a few years out of highschool myself, I can say that nothing bred more contempt for authority that zero-tolerance policies. By making completely innocent and reasonable actions worthy of punishment, everyone acts like a criminal. Knowing that good intention and common sense aren't a defense makes everyone afraid. Let us suppose your mom made some pie for the school bake sale, and thoughtfully included a serving knife to cut the pie. When you bring it to school, you just broke the rules. How can even a kid who wants to follow the rules defend against that?

  10. #60
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Of course there is! If a student breaks a rule, and if caught by any authority on campus, the student will suffer the consequences. You can't expect nothing to happen when rules are broken? What would be the purpose of having the rules in the first place??
    The problem is that rules are utterly stupid unfair and unreasonable. While perhaps not the fault of those who are required to carry them out, it is utterly the fault of the morally bankrupt idiot who created them in the first place. This eagle scout did nothing wrong, and deserves no punishment. The system needs to be changed so it doesn't happen again.


    The student would not be the appropriate one to interpret what a "weapon" is. The definition of "weapon" is and should be written within the school policy, and knives are considered weapons in most, if not all, school districts.
    Except that not all knives are weapons. A pocket knife, dinner knife or butter knife is a tool not a weapon. They are not designed for hurting people, and are very inefficient means of causing harm. Having a policy in which students are punished for possessing them is unacceptable.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •