View Poll Results: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The rule against weapons on campus needs to be enforced! What sort of message does that send?

    3 4.84%
  • He should have gotten less time since it wasn't a very deadly weapon and his intent was not violent

    3 4.84%
  • I'm not sure about this one...

    0 0%
  • He should have had a warning.

    7 11.29%
  • What is wrong with school official these days? Seriously, this is ridiculous!

    49 79.03%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 148

Thread: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car?

  1. #101
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    my question after skimming this article is, why was it known on campus that he had a knife in his car?

  2. #102
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    my question after skimming this article is, why was it known on campus that he had a knife in his car?
    Careless whispers most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #103
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Careless whispers most likely.
    seeing as how he made it known and wasn't just a victim of a random search, I have no sympathy.

    but that's not unusual.

  4. #104
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    seeing as how he made it known and wasn't just a victim of a random search, I have no sympathy.

    but that's not unusual.
    I don't think it was necessarily him doing the whisperings. A good friend could have told a teacher thru normal conversation.

    It doesn't seem like the eagle scout was flaunting the weapon at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #105
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I don't think it was necessarily him doing the whisperings. A good friend could have told a teacher thru normal conversation.

    It doesn't seem like the eagle scout was flaunting the weapon at all.
    if that was the case I'm sure they would have mentioned it in the article, which was certainly painting him in the most flattering light possible. I don't think he was flaunting it either but he obviously mentioned it at some point, to enough people that he admittedly didn't know who turned him in.

    any moron knows getting caught with a weapon at a high school in this day and age is a serious business. any time you carry concealed in a public place or keep a weapon in your car, you don't go broadcasting it unless you're an attention whore with a political agenda.

    excuse me for being skeptical but that ACORN debacle has made me look twice now at pesky kids, especially conservative ones.

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Scissors and baseball bats are very rarely used as weapons. People get stabbed at or around school comparatively often.
    The baseball bat was AL Capone's favorite weapon of "punishment". The terrorists used box openers. Anything can be a weapon....this is common sense.

    We need school board and school administrators will some gumption and intellect. We also need to reform and improve things - NOW.
    That we have gangs in schools is not good. These scum should be chain-ganged for 20 years...
    Then we must work to find out why there are gangs..
    And , lastly, this silly "zero tolerance", which is really "zero thinking", must go.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    if that was the case I'm sure they would have mentioned it in the article, which was certainly painting him in the most flattering light possible. I don't think he was flaunting it either but he obviously mentioned it at some point, to enough people that he admittedly didn't know who turned him in.

    any moron knows getting caught with a weapon at a high school in this day and age is a serious business. any time you carry concealed in a public place or keep a weapon in your car, you don't go broadcasting it unless you're an attention whore with a political agenda. I think he was naive, and trusting...Not a good thing in todays age..

    excuse me for being skeptical but that ACORN debacle has made me look twice now at pesky kids, especially conservative ones.
    Some of things that occur today are sickeningly ugly....all the silliness and stupidity, lack of ethics and good judgment. And the media, I only trust them to lie and or hide the truth..

  8. #108
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but you have to choose your poison.



    But bringing any sort of knife to school would be inappropriate regardless. If we are looking at a normal day at school for the average student, never will they ever need a pocket knife. So why bring one? Can you show me a scenario in which a student may need to use a pocket knife during school?

    And while pocket knives are not designed to be used as weapons, they can be. As well as scissors, pencils and what have you. But scissors and pencils have a place on campus and in the classroom, and therefore it is reasonable to have these tools on campus since it is necessary in most classes. What activity would a pocket knife be used on campus, where a pair scissors could not achieve? What class would necessitate a pocket knife?

    I don't see a reason to bring a pocket knife to school, at all. It shouldn't be on campus anyway, it serves no purpose. It only brings in an unneeded risk.
    Did you even bother to read the context of why it was locked in his car? You did not, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about scenarios that have to do with needing a pocket knife at school. This is all bull**** smoke and mirrors to derail common sense.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    The sad thing about this story is a Honor student who is trying to get into West Point may not be able because of this BS by the School. A bloody pocket knife please, so what about all of the knifes in Home Ech. or the Kitchen lets not forget about the nice stuff in the Shop Rooms or the Archery items and javallen in the track and field stuff that the school has on the school grounds.

  10. #110
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Should this Eagle Scout have been suspended for keeping 2" pocketknife in his car

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    The sad thing about this story is a Honor student who is trying to get into West Point may not be able because of this BS by the School. A bloody pocket knife please, so what about all of the knifes in Home Ech. or the Kitchen lets not forget about the nice stuff in the Shop Rooms or the Archery items and javallen in the track and field stuff that the school has on the school grounds.
    That's to much common sense. Get out of here with that.

    If it keeps the children safe, it's OK to screw over a few people.

    Zero tolerance is a useful tool. Or does it make you a tool?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •