View Poll Results: Which of these registration requirements violate your rights?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The requirement to register... to vote

    3 7.89%
  • ... to have an abortion

    18 47.37%
  • ... to attend a political rally

    28 73.68%
  • ... to send a letter to the editor

    26 68.42%
  • ... to publish a letter to the editor

    25 65.79%
  • ... to buy a gun

    18 47.37%
  • ... to post a blog

    25 65.79%
  • ... to go to church

    26 68.42%
  • ... none of the above

    5 13.16%
  • ... all of the above

    5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 141

Thread: Does registration infringe on your right to...

  1. #21
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Aside from the fact that the claim in your quote (from a biased, anti-gun source) is factually wrong...

    So, you dont have a counter to my argument?
    You cannot show that the nature of the right to arms -requires- that the governemnt knows who has a gun and that it is not possible to legitimately exercise that right w/o said registration?

    Then on what do you base your assertion that "registration in no way violates your right to bear arms."?

    Tell me:
    How do you argue against the position that registration in no way violates your right to an abortion?
    why is the claim in my quote "wrong"? and why are you bringing up abortion?

    my counter to your argument is that registration in no way prohibits you from keeping a gun. the constitution does not prohibit a registration requirement.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why is the claim in my quote "wrong"? and why are you bringing up abortion?

    my counter to your argument is that registration in no way prohibits you from keeping a gun. the constitution does not prohibit a registration requirement.
    2nd and 4th.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why is the claim in my quote "wrong"?
    Because that us not what the SCotUS said in Heller.

    and why are you bringing up abortion?
    I'm applying yout logic to another issue and seeing if you are consistent.

    my counter to your argument is that registration in no way prohibits you from keeping a gun. the constitution does not prohibit a registration requirement.
    I've explained how your argument is wrong, in clear. specific terms.
    Your counter is nothing more than you saying "nuh-uhhh!!"

    As such, your counter does nothing to negate my argument, leaving your claim unsupported.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 10-14-09 at 12:36 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Because that us not what the SCotUS said in Heller.


    I'm applying yout logic to another issue and seeing if you are consistent.


    I've explained how your argument is wrong, in specific terms.
    Your counter is nothing more than you saying "nuh-uhhh!!"

    Actually, you and Ikari have nothing to your arguments. It's like Orly Taitz filings. To make a constitutional argument, you must have something to argue with. You are both basically saying, because I say so.


    Where is your argument, legal argument rooted in law and case citations, that registrations are not constitutional?

    You have none. No right, other than freedom of thought is absolute, and the state has the right to require registrations - even for constitutionally protected rights.


    Even more absurd is the notion that you have a constitutionally protected right to purchase ammunition. You don't. Most of the founders made their own. Where's the strict constitutionalist argument now? Out the window it seems, because it's convenient.

  5. #25
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Actually, you and Ikari have nothing to your arguments. It's like Orly Taitz filings. To make a constitutional argument, you must have something to argue with. You are both basically saying, because I say so.
    This is, of course, absolutely incorrect, as we have both provided sound arguments.
    Disagree?
    Then provide a counter to the argument I made.

    Even more absurd is the notion that you have a constitutionally protected right to purchase ammunition. You don't.
    As noted before, ammunition is as protected by the 2nd as words are by the first.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Actually, you and Ikari have nothing to your arguments. It's like Orly Taitz filings. To make a constitutional argument, you must have something to argue with. You are both basically saying, because I say so.
    Actually, I posted exactly how the 4th is applicable. You're just deflecting away to not have to deal with the debate. Yeah, that's helpful.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is, of course, absolutely incorrect, as we have both provided sound arguments.
    Disagree?
    Then provide a counter to the argument I made.


    As noted before, ammunition is as protected by the 2nd as words are by the first.

    No, you haven't. Neither of you have. Contemporaneous to the writing of the constitution, the new country actually had registration laws. This is a big problem for strict constructionists, because they look at original intent, and contemporaneous meanings of words.

    And, you made no argument for the constitutionally protected right to purchase ammunition. It is not inherent ... because common practice was not to purchase ammunition at the time of the writing of the document.




    (snip ... ) Justice Antonin Scalia's majority opinion in Heller noted that, because the plaintiffs "conceded at oral argument" that they do not "have a problem with... licensing," the court would "not address the licensing requirement." The appeals court in that case did, however, and suggested that registration was just fine: "Reasonable restrictions also might be thought consistent with a 'well regulated militia.' The registration of firearms gives the government information as to how many people would be armed for militia service if called up."

    At this point it's probably helpful to look at the actual text of the Second Amendment, which reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

    In legal circles, there's a never-ending (more like all-consuming) debate about how to interpret such language. To oversimplify: Some conservative justices, including Scalia, tend to look to the original meaning of the words in ordinary use at the time it was written. Others argue for the concept of a "living Constitution," meaning the Constitution is dynamic and should evolve over time to reflect evolving social values.

    You can figure out for yourself which school of thought ended up on which side in last year's 5-4 Heller decision.

    The problem for gun rights advocates is that, if you look at the language and custom at the time the Second Amendment was written, laws like the Militia Act of 1792 pop up. It required men between the ages of 18 and 45 to register themselves for militia service, and specified they have certain weapons such as a "good rifle." Similarly, a report from Philadelphia in 1823 showed that there were 12,678 rifles in private hands, indicating some records of who owned what.

    "Systems akin to registration were quite common at the time of the framing of the Constitution and the time of the ratification of the Bill of Rights," says Dennis Henigan, vice president for law and policy at the Brady Campaign and author of the new book Lethal Logic. "Even before that the state militia statutes had the same kind of requirements, so they can track how well the militia was armed."

    Sorry, Mandatory Gun Registration Is Constitutional - Taking Liberties - CBS News

  8. #28
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Actually, I posted exactly how the 4th is applicable. You're just deflecting away to not have to deal with the debate. Yeah, that's helpful.
    I saw your post, and it was just .... it was nothing.

  9. #29
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Because that us not what the SCotUS said in Heller.


    I'm applying yout logic to another issue and seeing if you are consistent.


    I've explained how your argument is wrong, in clear. specific terms.
    Your counter is nothing more than you saying "nuh-uhhh!!"

    As such, your counter does nothing to negate my argument, leaving your claim unsupported.
    you haven't proved anything, sorry. registration in no way prohibits you from exercising your right to bear arms.

    "like most rights, the second amendment right is not unlimited".....the district must permit heller to register his handgun"........heller conceded at oral argument that the dc licensing law is permissable."

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #30
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    No, you haven't. Neither of you have.
    As I have already asked:
    Please provide a counter to the argument I made.

    And, you made no argument for the constitutionally protected right to purchase ammunition.
    As noted before, ammunition is as protected by the 2nd as words are by the first, as each is as necessary to the exercise of one right as to the other.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •