View Poll Results: Which of these registration requirements violate your rights?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The requirement to register... to vote

    3 7.89%
  • ... to have an abortion

    18 47.37%
  • ... to attend a political rally

    28 73.68%
  • ... to send a letter to the editor

    26 68.42%
  • ... to publish a letter to the editor

    25 65.79%
  • ... to buy a gun

    18 47.37%
  • ... to post a blog

    25 65.79%
  • ... to go to church

    26 68.42%
  • ... none of the above

    5 13.16%
  • ... all of the above

    5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 141

Thread: Does registration infringe on your right to...

  1. #131
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,615

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    I said yes to everything but voting since it is the only activity that causes harm if you do it more than once for the given period. (I won't get into the abortion debate as causing harm)

    thus registration is rational in the sense that safeguards prevent people from voting more than once and in the right precinct



  2. #132
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,534

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yes, read it in the context in which it was written. At the time it was written, every able-bodied white male was required to come to the national (or even local defense) because we didn't have a standing army. The men were the army. They were required to own a firearm that they could use in said defense. That's why the amendment was written in the first place, to ensure that we would have a stand-up army should we need one. It guaranteed the rights of the well-regulated militia which was made up of the people.
    And?

    It still protects what it protects.

    If you want to make the argument that the purpose of it no longer applies, it doesn't mean the right isn't still protected.

    Your argument may be fine for repealing the amendment (which, frankly, it isn't), but it means absolutely bupkis to what the amendment protects. As long as it's in the Constitution, it still protects it.

    "Deal with it."


    Now it's true that the Supreme Court has ruled that it applies to all Americans, primarily because declaring otherwise would be a politically untenable position to take.
    No, they did so because it was legally correct.



    Like it or not, the 2nd amendment has *NEVER* been seen as absolute. Deal with it.
    Another trope you should be embarrassed to trot out. No one argued that it is. Deal with THAT.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #133
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Hey, if that's what you're into, ask the Catholics if they can spare some altarboys. Otherwise, this is just a cheap dodge.
    No, its not.

    Your line of reasoning is unsound because, as everyone who pays attention to these things knows, the right to arms is held by the individual, regardless of any connection he might have to any militia, well-regulated or otherwise.

  4. #134
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
    About the gun/abortion thing though,
    So should nothing be limited?
    All rights have a potential for abuse, that's quite true. Freedom of Speech, for example, does have limitations on slander.
    Yes, that's correct -- but the limitation here is on the act itself, not the potential for committing the act. Your right to free speech isnt limited because you -might- commit an act of slander.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, they did so because it was legally correct.
    At one time, slavery was "legally correct" according to the courts. Just because they rule a particular way doesn't make it "correct" just factually true.

    Another trope you should be embarrassed to trot out. No one argued that it is. Deal with THAT.
    If you're not arguing that it is then what's the problem? Since the right to own firearms is not absolute, society has a right to put whatever roadblocks between the gun and the potential owner that it sees fit so long as it does not restrict ownership entirely. That means it can, and does, require you to register your firearms.

    So what are you arguing about?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #136
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If you're not arguing that it is then what's the problem? Since the right to own firearms is not absolute, society has a right to put whatever roadblocks between the gun and the potential owner that it sees fit so long as it does not restrict ownership entirely.
    This is a fallacy, as "infringe" includes restrictions that fall short of 'restricting ownership entirely'.

    That means it can, and does, require you to register your firearms.
    Not without infriinging on the right and therefore violating the Constittion.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is a fallacy, as "infringe" includes restrictions that fall short of 'restricting ownership entirely'.
    You seem to be picking and choosing which "infringements" you'll accept and which you won't. You don't seem to be bothered by restricting ownership entirely for convicted felons, you just don't happen to like this particular "infringement" so you're arguing against it.

    Not without infriinging on the right and therefore violating the Constittion.
    The Constitution doesn't mention restricting the type of firearm, thus not allowing anyone who wants to own a nuclear weapon to do so is "infringing on the right" and is in violation of the Constitition. Do you seriously want to change that?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #138
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,534

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    At one time, slavery was "legally correct" according to the courts. Just because they rule a particular way doesn't make it "correct" just factually true.
    At the time, it was in fact legally correct, too. An amendment enacted after a civil war changed that.

    As I said, argue for changing the Constitution all you want. But as it stands, it says what it says and it protects what it protects.


    If you're not arguing that it is then what's the problem? Since the right to own firearms is not absolute, society has a right to put whatever roadblocks between the gun and the potential owner that it sees fit so long as it does not restrict ownership entirely.
    That's idiotic.

    A protected right doesn't mean "the crumbs the government decides to let fall to the floor."


    So what are you arguing about?
    Start with strict scrutiny, the same level of protection given to the rest of the Bill of Rights.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #139
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You seem to be picking and choosing which "infringements" you'll accept and which you won't.
    Unsupportable, as I have done no such thing.

    And so, my statement stands -- "infringe" includes restrictions that fall short of 'restricting ownership entirely'.

    You don't seem to be bothered by restricting ownership entirely for convicted felons, you just don't happen to like this particular "infringement" so you're arguing against it.
    False premise.
    That's because this isn't an infringement, as felons do not have the right to own firearms, their right to do so having been stripped thru due process.

    The Constitution doesn't mention restricting the type of firearm, thus not allowing anyone who wants to own a nuclear weapon to do so is "infringing on the right" and is in violation of the Constitition.
    Red herring.
    "Arms", as the term is used in the 2nd, does not include nuclear weapons, and therefore NONE of restrictions on their ownership violates the 2nd.

    HOWever, ALL firearms DO fall under that term...

    And this my statement stands, that governments can, and do, require you to register your firearms -- but not without infriinging on the right and therefore violating the Constittion
    Last edited by Goobieman; 10-19-09 at 12:25 PM.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    "Arms", as the term is used in the 2nd, does not include nuclear weapons, and therefore NONE of restrictions on their ownership violates the 2nd.
    Says who? Certainly at the time the Constitution was written, "arms" referred to all manner of cannons, etc. all of which are illegal to own today. The most extreme weapons they had at the time were legal to own. Why has the situation changed?

    You're just doing a lot of very convenient reading.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •