View Poll Results: Which of these registration requirements violate your rights?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The requirement to register... to vote

    3 7.89%
  • ... to have an abortion

    18 47.37%
  • ... to attend a political rally

    28 73.68%
  • ... to send a letter to the editor

    26 68.42%
  • ... to publish a letter to the editor

    25 65.79%
  • ... to buy a gun

    18 47.37%
  • ... to post a blog

    25 65.79%
  • ... to go to church

    26 68.42%
  • ... none of the above

    5 13.16%
  • ... all of the above

    5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 141

Thread: Does registration infringe on your right to...

  1. #121
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, the constitution -specifically- mentions the rights in reference to a well regulated militia. Funny how most gun-advocates entirely ignore the first 13 words of the second amendment, isn't it?
    I see you iognored the rest of my post. I'll assume its because you have no counter, ad as such, my argument stands.

    As for your comment above -- this question has been settled and your argument to that end has been negated.

  2. #122
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, the constitution -specifically- mentions the rights in reference to a well regulated militia. Funny how most gun-advocates entirely ignore the first 13 words of the second amendment, isn't it?
    How is that by now, people aren't embarrassed to trudge out this old trope? People who don't know any better, I guess.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #123
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    How is that by now, people aren't embarrassed to trudge out this old trope? People who don't know any better, I guess.
    What, has the second amendment been re-written? Quick, someone inform the National Archives so they can get to work with the white-out!
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #124
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    What, has the second amendment been re-written? Quick, someone inform the National Archives so they can get to work with the white-out!
    Continuing with this particlar line of inanity only sodomizes your credibility.

  5. #125
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    The requirement to register... to vote
    I think this is a legitimate registration because of the possibility of voter fraud as well as the logistical issues that would come up for organizing a national election.
    ... to have an abortion/... to buy a gun
    Nope, I think the government should be able to keep track of these based on the potential for abuse of either. Do we really want people running around with AK-47s unchecked?
    ... to attend a political rally
    I think this is unneeded, as long as you also hold that the government has a right to stop them if they turn out violent.
    ... to send a letter to the editor/... to publish a letter to the editor
    I don't really understand these too well. I think you'd need to register to send a letter to the editor based on logistical factors and also, isn't the point of publishing sort of to take credit for it?
    ... to go to church
    While I'm not religious, I don't see any reason the government needs to see if you're going to a religious place and where it is. It just seems like potential abuse.

  6. #126
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
    ... to have an abortion/... to buy a gun
    Nope, I think the government should be able to keep track of these based on the potential for abuse of either. Do we really want people running around with AK-47s unchecked?
    All rights carry the 'potential' for abuse, and as such, by your arguments, all rights can be similarly limited.

    After all, all men are potential rapists and all womern are potential prostitutes.

    ... to send a letter to the editor/... to publish a letter to the editor
    I don't really understand these too well. I think you'd need to register to send a letter to the editor based on logistical factors and also, isn't the point of publishing sort of to take credit for it?
    Yes, but that is different than being required to tell the rgovernment you're going it before you -can- do it.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Continuing with this particlar line of inanity only sodomizes your credibility.
    Hey, if that's what you're into, ask the Catholics if they can spare some altarboys. Otherwise, this is just a cheap dodge.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #128
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    All rights carry the 'potential' for abuse, and as such, by your arguments, all rights can be similarly limited.

    After all, all men are potential rapists and all womern are potential prostitutes.


    Yes, but that is different than being required to tell the rgovernment you're going it before you -can- do it.
    As for the editor thing, I was a unsure of what exactly you meant by register. I thought you meant like registering for an account or something to send a letter to an editor, specifically an online account was what first popped into my head.

    About the gun/abortion thing though,
    So should nothing be limited?
    All rights have a potential for abuse, that's quite true. Freedom of Speech, for example, does have limitations on slander. I'm not for banning gun ownership, especially handguns, but there is a limit to what people need or don't need to defend themselves. I won't accept that it's necessary for everyone to have a machine gun or for people to hide said guns from the government if it's abundantly clear they won't be taken away, like in America.

    Registration is needed for regulation, which I think there is a need for both with guns or abortions. I certainly wouldn't want people coming in for abortions weeks before the baby is due... don't get it in the first place.
    Last edited by Lord Voldemort; 10-16-09 at 07:25 PM.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, the constitution -specifically- mentions the rights in reference to a well regulated militia. Funny how most gun-advocates entirely ignore the first 13 words of the second amendment, isn't it?
    And it's funny how you ignore this:

    The Right of the People

  10. #130
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And it's funny how you ignore this:

    The Right of the People
    Yes, read it in the context in which it was written. At the time it was written, every able-bodied white male was required to come to the national (or even local defense) because we didn't have a standing army. The men were the army. They were required to own a firearm that they could use in said defense. That's why the amendment was written in the first place, to ensure that we would have a stand-up army should we need one. It guaranteed the rights of the well-regulated militia which was made up of the people.

    Now it's true that the Supreme Court has ruled that it applies to all Americans, primarily because declaring otherwise would be a politically untenable position to take. It's not like closing the barn doors after the horse has escaped, it's like trying to close the barn doors after the horse has left, come back with a bazooka and blown the barn to kingdom come. Trying to confiscate millions of firearms is impossible, therefore they extended the right to most Americans. Not all. Felons cannot own arms. Minors cannot legally own arms. No one can own illegal arms. All of these represent restrictions on the ability to bear arms and for the most part, no one complains about them. Registration, IMO, is a restriction which can be placed on firearm ownership, like it or not, and in fact is beneficial to society.

    Like it or not, the 2nd amendment has *NEVER* been seen as absolute. Deal with it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •