View Poll Results: Which of these registration requirements violate your rights?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The requirement to register... to vote

    3 7.89%
  • ... to have an abortion

    18 47.37%
  • ... to attend a political rally

    28 73.68%
  • ... to send a letter to the editor

    26 68.42%
  • ... to publish a letter to the editor

    25 65.79%
  • ... to buy a gun

    18 47.37%
  • ... to post a blog

    25 65.79%
  • ... to go to church

    26 68.42%
  • ... none of the above

    5 13.16%
  • ... all of the above

    5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 141

Thread: Does registration infringe on your right to...

  1. #111
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Does the 2nd amendment allow the government to force you to register with said governent before you buy a gun?
    No, nor does it forbid it. In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to say on the subject. It also doesn't mention nuclear weapons. What's your point?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #112
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, nor does it forbid it. In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to say on the subject. It also doesn't mention nuclear weapons. What's your point?
    I'm sorry -- I didnt see your answer to the other two questons.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry -- I didnt see your answer to the other two questons.
    Because they're off-topic for what we were discussing. Does the government require you to register for those things? No. Could it? Yes, within reason. You have 'freedom to associate' concerns, certainly, but there are restrictions on that as well. Cities have restricted the rights of gang members to congregate for the purpose of planning or committing crimes as well, so I suppose it's possible to do it for other things. It would just be a public relations nightmare.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #114
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because they're off-topic for what we were discussing.
    You will find both of those things included in the poll options, and so, both are on toipic.

    Does the government require you to register for those things? No. Could it? Yes, within reason.
    You REALLY think that the goverment forcing you to register with it before you could go to a political rally and/or church does not violate the 1st amendment?

    Really?

  5. #115
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So does having a gun in public.
    No it doesn't. A holstered, concealed gun does not present a danger. Hell open carry doesn't present a danger. As I said, if someone is threateningly brandishing a gun, then yes. Till that point, no.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #116
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You will find both of those things included in the poll options, and so, both are on toipic.
    That's not what we, as individuals, were discussing. On-topic for the thread and on-topic for any individual discussion within the thread are not necessarily the same thing.

    You REALLY think that the goverment forcing you to register with it before you could go to a political rally and/or church does not violate the 1st amendment?

    Really?
    So long as registration was free and easy to do, then no, it does not. Freedom of association, like it or not, is not universal, any more than freedom of speech is. Look at decisions like Runyon vs. McCrary for limitations to the freedom of associations. Like it or not, nothing in the Constitution is absolute or unrestricted.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #117
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's not what we, as individuals, were discussing. On-topic for the thread and on-topic for any individual discussion within the thread are not necessarily the same thing.
    That still doesnt make them off topic -- they were included for comparative purposes and to see if you are consistent.

    So long as registration was free and easy to do, then no, it does not.
    I'm sure that the first woman that has to register herself with the government before she can have an abortion will disagree with you.

    And, while I -do- compliment you on your consistency, the argument that the requirement to register yourself with the government before you exercise your rights, when said rgistration is not an interent part of that right, creates an infringement and therefore violates the constitution still stands.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sure that the first woman that has to register herself with the government before she can have an abortion will disagree with you.
    She might not like it, but so long as said registration, as I said, is free and easy and does not stop her in any way from exercising said right, I've got no problem with it. In fact, every medical procedure anyone ever has done goes into their permanent medical records, a form of registration already.

    And, while I -do- compliment you on your consistency, the argument that the requirement to register yourself with the government before you exercise your rights, when said rgistration is not an interent part of that right, creates an infringement and therefore violates the constitution still stands.
    It's not an inherent part of the right, nor is it inherently excluded from the right. Where the rights are spelled out, it does not specifically exclude registration, therefore you cannot say that it is explicitly restricted.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #119
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    She might not like it, but so long as said registration, as I said, is free and easy and does not stop her in any way from exercising said right, I've got no problem with it. In fact, every medical procedure anyone ever has done goes into their permanent medical records, a form of registration already.
    I assure you that if there were ever any attempt to require such a registration, there woudl be innumerable, completely sound, arguments levied against it.

    "Permanent medical records" are not kept by the government, and so are not comparable.

    It's not an inherent part of the right, nor is it inherently excluded from the right. Where the rights are spelled out, it does not specifically exclude registration, therefore you cannot say that it is explicitly restricted.
    The point is that if you restrain the exercise of a right that when said restraint is not derived from an inherent part of that right -- that is, something that -must- be done in order to exercise the right, not because of some legislative requirement but because of the nature of the right itself -- then you're infringing that right by creating an arbitrary impediment to its exercise.

    The constitution -specifically- restrains the government from infringing the right to arms.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The constitution -specifically- restrains the government from infringing the right to arms.
    Actually, the constitution -specifically- mentions the rights in reference to a well regulated militia. Funny how most gun-advocates entirely ignore the first 13 words of the second amendment, isn't it?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •