View Poll Results: Which of these registration requirements violate your rights?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The requirement to register... to vote

    3 7.89%
  • ... to have an abortion

    18 47.37%
  • ... to attend a political rally

    28 73.68%
  • ... to send a letter to the editor

    26 68.42%
  • ... to publish a letter to the editor

    25 65.79%
  • ... to buy a gun

    18 47.37%
  • ... to post a blog

    25 65.79%
  • ... to go to church

    26 68.42%
  • ... none of the above

    5 13.16%
  • ... all of the above

    5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 141

Thread: Does registration infringe on your right to...

  1. #101
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    Federal sales taxes beyond what are specifically allowed within the constitution are certainly infringements.
    Not according to Harshaw and Goobieman, but given their recent postings, consistency is not strong with those two.

    You don't pay a sales tax if you purchase from a private individual. You must when you purchase from a licensed dealer because, like many other areas, the government has encroached.
    First, that's tax evasion, you must legally pay sale taxes if you purchase from a private individual. Now, that doesn't stop people from not paying sale taxes though.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #102
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Neither is a sale tax. A sales tax is government coming into the transaction and placing artificial barriers that interfere with the normal transaction. If that sale tax is high enough, it can bar, prevent or delay the purchase. How does that not infringe?
    If it's intended to prevent purchase of the item, then it does.

    If it's just a standard tax which applies to sales of all kinds, then it doesn't.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #103
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Except that sale taxes are not actually related to the real price of the firearm. They are an artificial add on that in no way represents the true value/cost/profit to the seller/buyer.

    By your reasoning, a sale tax of $1 billion on a $5 item is not an infringement, even if it effectively bans people from owning things.

    If sale tax made the purchase out of your reach for the time being, isn't that a delay? Doesn't that prevent you from owning it?

    You fail to realize I am merely using Goobieman's definition of anything that prevents or delays. If you do not like that definition, take it up with him.
    I'm sure Goobieman would disagree that it's what he's saying, but I'll leave it up to him. As for the rest of this, see my post immediately above.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #104
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    If it's intended to prevent purchase of the item, then it does.

    If it's just a standard tax which applies to sales of all kinds, then it doesn't.
    Because...

    Intention is irrelevant. What matters is what it actually causes.

    Again, if the sale tax causes a delay, prevention or effective ban, how does that not equate to an infringement independent of the intention?

    Frankly speaking, you people don't like the fact that I've taken Goobieman's exceedingly vague definition and used it against you.

    I'm sure Goobieman would disagree that it's what he's saying, but I'll leave it up to him. As for the rest of this, see my post immediately above.
    Of course he would, but it is irrelevant. The definition he is using results in that outcome. Let this be a lesson: define your key words.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #105
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because...

    Intention is irrelevant. What matters is what it actually causes.

    Again, if the sale tax causes a delay, prevention or effective ban, how does that not equate to an infringement independent of the intention?
    If you don't intend to prevent or delay a sale, you don't put on a tax which would do so.

    If you do -- if you put, say, a 5000% tax on the purchase of firearms -- the intent and infringement are both obvious.


    Frankly speaking, you people don't like the fact that I've taken Goobieman's exceedingly vague definition and used it against you.
    Frankly speaking, you're coming off as a pedantic adolescent.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #106
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    First, that's tax evasion, you must legally pay sale taxes if you purchase from a private individual. Now, that doesn't stop people from not paying sale taxes though.
    aren't these taxes placed on the party who sold the item--ie. usually they pay out but adjust prices to consumers to cover the costs? Since when does a private individual, (not a private business), have to provide itemized reports of every personal sale to the government--other than the income tax, which isn't the sales tax?
    Last edited by other; 10-14-09 at 10:45 PM.

  7. #107
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not according to Harshaw and Goobieman, but given their recent postings, consistency is not strong with those two.


    You can point out an inconsistency?



    First, that's tax evasion, you must legally pay sale taxes if you purchase from a private individual. Now, that doesn't stop people from not paying sale taxes though.
    You don't pay sales tax if you're not making a retail purchase.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #108
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So does having a gun in public.
    Simple possession of a gun in public puts people in no more danger than simple possession of a penis.

  9. #109
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Therefore, having to pay for the gun is an infringement. By the Constitution, all firearms should be free. Again, how insane do you want to go?
    You clearly do not understad the issue sufficiently enough to have this comversation.

    The 2nd protects the right from infringement through government action.
    If I have a gun and you want it, my requiring you to buy it from me does not violate the Constitution because I am not the government.

    AND, even if the government did require you to purchase the firearm, this requirement does not infringe your right to arms because -purchasing- the arms in question is an inherent part of the exercise of that right.

    Thus, your argument fails.

    Not that you understand why.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 10-15-09 at 11:42 AM.

  10. #110
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does registration infringe on your right to...

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    You fail to realize I am merely using Goobieman's definition of anything that prevents or delays. If you do not like that definition, take it up with him.
    Strawman. I havent argued anything even remotely close to that.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •