View Poll Results: Do you want the United States to decriminalize all drugs?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    32 53.33%
  • No

    22 36.67%
  • Other

    6 10.00%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 150

Thread: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

  1. #71
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And again, there is no firearm equivalent to chemical dependency.

    If a firearm is lawfully used as directed by the manufacturer, either an animal dies for dinner or a criminal is stopped.
    That's not the point, and you know it. You're deliberately ignoring the point.

    If meth were lawfully used as directed by the manufacturer, the user would become chemically addicted and (as with almost any other legal addiction) begin neglecting responsibilities with the sole drive and purpose of acquiring their next fix. Children and family would be forgotten (sometimes even sold), the user would not be able to hold down a job or pay bills.
    Oh. You mean like being addicted to playing video games like WoW, then? I mean, people DO actually neglect their responsibilities, forget about their children and find it difficult, if not impossible, to hold down a job due to addictions to things like video games. Or gambling. Or... adrenaline sports.

    Firearms do not do that.
    Drugs don't do that either. Neither do video games. Or gambling. The PEOPLE do that.

    Yes, chemical addiction does drive people to crime.
    No. It CAN drive people to WANT to commit crime, however, much like being poor can drive people to want to commit crime. Or peer pressure. What is your point? The PEOPLE are not forced to do a goddamn thing.

    Ahh so the problem is that you need a basic education of the severity of various drugs.

    Drug addiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Caffeine and nicotine simply do not compare to meth.
    Oh, my bad. I thought you said "chemical dependence". Isn't that what you said? I could have SWORN that was what you said.

    Oh wait!!!

    Chemical dependence is a pro-active negative force in the family
    That IS what you said!

    Care to rephrase what you said and apply it ONLY to meth? Because as a former cocaine AND crack addict, I can guarandamntee you that it didn't MAKE me do jack ****ing ****. It didn't even compel me to. Nor did it drive me to. Neither did pot, or acid, or shrooms, or heroin.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 10-14-09 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If the perpetrator is also the victim, then why should it be illegal?
    The state has a compelling interest in keeping it's citizens from becoming victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Our society does not typically make crimes out of actions that could indirectly harm families (e.g. drinking, adultery, making bad investments, being unemployed, etc).
    I won't insult your intelligence by citing all the various dunk&disorderly/DUI laws.

    You might be interested to learn, however, that in my state, not only is adultery illegal, but the husband/wife can directly sue the person their spouse committed adultery with.

    I wonder, once Obama's UHC is passed and insurance is mandated, how will the unemployed pay the fine for having no money to buy a policy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Furthermore, the DEA and criminal sentences for drug crimes harm plenty of families too, so it's not even clear that drug use harms families more than the war on drugs itself does.
    I am not a part of any conversation involving the failed government program named "the war on drugs".

    As a Conservative I'm predisposed to objecting to government programs to begin with, so to point out any such program as a failure only invites a smug "I told you so".
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-14-09 at 07:18 PM.

  3. #73
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The state has a compelling interest in keeping it's citizens from becoming victims.
    From themselves? How can you support nanny statism here, and then say down below that you're a conservative who opposes government programs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I won't insult your intelligence by citing all the various dunk&disorderly/DUI laws.
    Those laws are not intended to protect the families of the people drinking, so I don't see how they're relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You might be interested to learn, however, that in my state, not only is adultery illegal, but the husband/wife can directly sue the person their spouse committed adultery with.
    But is that actually enforced, or is it just on the books? What state is that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I am not a part of any conversation involving the failed government program named "the war on drugs".

    As a Conservative I'm predisposed to objecting to government programs to begin with, so to point out any such program as a failure only invites a smug "I told you so".
    Then what DO you suggest the government do about drugs, if not decriminalize them and not fight them?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #74
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    It's not Uncle Sam's job to stop you from your own stupidity.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    From themselves?
    Much the same way a mentaly insane person is strapped to a bed, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How can you support nanny statism here, and then say down below that you're a conservative who opposes government programs?
    Well that's an easy answer: There are more options than nanny-statism and total anarchy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Those laws are not intended to protect the families of the people drinking, so I don't see how they're relevant.
    They are intended to protect everyone from those who drink. Everyone would include the family.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    But is that actually enforced, or is it just on the books? What state is that?
    South Dakota.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Then what DO you suggest the government do about drugs, if not decriminalize them and not fight them?
    Keep them criminalized and fight them.

    That doesn't mean this has anything to do with the one specific failed government program titled "war on drugs".
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-15-09 at 02:45 AM.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    It's not Uncle Sam's job to stop you from your own stupidity.
    To some degree, yes, it actually is.

    If you are a danger to yourself or others, the local authority needs to step in and protect you, even from yourself.

    That is a valid state interest.

    The one who's wrong is you for wanting to harm yourself, not the state for trying to keep you safe.
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-15-09 at 02:47 AM.

  7. #77
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    There is no firearm equivalent to chemical dependency.



    I win.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #78
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The one who's wrong is you for wanting to harm yourself, not the state for trying to keep you safe.
    Do you deem all illegal substances "harmful," or just certain ones?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #79
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There's a black market for murder too, if you really want to you can go out and hire an assassin to kill someone. Should we just give up on our "war on murder"?
    Murder is not a behavior that can be described of as addictive (unless of course you are a ****ing psyco).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #80
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Mexico Decriminalizes All Drugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's like saying we should get rid of laws against murder. It's prohibition. If people want to kill, it is their right to kill. We can apply that to every type of law. To go down that road is anarchy.
    Except that killing is not a victimless crime. Drug usage happens to be a victimless crime.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •