View Poll Results: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal In Most States?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    11 19.64%
  • No.

    45 80.36%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    As a crime prostitution is not victimless.

    It's illegality creates a dark underbelly that is rife with victims, whether it be human smuggling, a pimp beating up his hoe, a john beating up his hoe, an std being brought home to an unsuspecting spouse, taxpayers, or hell even the government for non reported income.

    These victims are not from a consensual act between 2 adults, these victims are because that act is illegal.
    If I'm understanding your argument, you are saying that the fact that is still is a crime is what creates a victim?
    So if we legalize it, that would end the creation of any victims? (if that's your point...I would agree)

  2. #12
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    If I'm understanding your argument, you are saying that the fact that is still is a crime is what creates a victim?
    So if we legalize it, that would end the creation of any victims? (if that's your point...I would agree)
    Yes, when we make a victimless act a criminal act it ceases to be victimless. It is its criminality that is victimizing.

    Making it criminal creates the victims, not the act.

    to split hairs even further, the term "victimless crime" is horrendous.. it makes the assumption that an act is a crime, and even when used in the context of making it legal the act still remains a "crime".
    Last edited by marduc; 10-13-09 at 06:32 AM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Last Seen
    12-23-09 @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    616

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    No.

    What can possibly be moral or logical justification for outlawing the point of life - sex ?

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    As a crime prostitution is not victimless.

    It's illegality creates a dark underbelly that is rife with victims, whether it be human smuggling, a pimp beating up his hoe, a john beating up his hoe, an std being brought home to an unsuspecting spouse, taxpayers, or hell even the government for non reported income.

    These victims are not from a consensual act between 2 adults, these victims are because that act is illegal.
    Just a point here but if prostitution were to become legal then regulations could be set up to where such things as mentioned here would not happen.

    For example:

    If legal then a "john" would be stupid to beat up his "hoe" as the reason that they do so now is because prostitution is illegal...so the "hoe" won't go to the police for fear of being arrested herself.

    Human smuggling is mainly used by criminals because of rich guy's "tastes". IE 10 year old girls or "virgin" chinese etc etc. So doubt that would stop. But then again human smuggling is a whole nother catagory in itself.

    STD's could be made to be checked for regularly if someone is in this field of work. IF made legal. As it stands there is more of a chance of contracting an std from a prostitute because they don't have regular check-ups.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    I'm assuming we'll hear some religious arguments (about not corrupting our children or some such other BS...imo) in favor of keeping it illegal, but I seriously can't think of a single logical argument for doing so. (not to mention the fact that trying to outlaw something as basic a need as sex would be like having Congress make gravity illegal..........& then trying to enforce their new law outlawing it)
    Last edited by Devil505; 10-13-09 at 07:23 AM.

  6. #16
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Just a point here but if prostitution were to become legal then regulations could be set up to where such things as mentioned here would not happen.

    For example ...
    exactly my point.

    These things happen because it is illegal.

    just like drugs,

    The act itself is mostly harmless relative to a prohibition which is disastrous.
    Last edited by marduc; 10-13-09 at 07:40 AM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  7. #17
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I can see absolutely no good reason to not legalize/Tax & regulate it.
    Since we all know it's a victimless crime & impossible to end legislatively, why not legalize it?
    it's not a victimless crime, but possibly should be legal.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    It should be legalized, but not legitimized.

    Let me explain.

    I don't think the act should necessarily be illegal. IE the act of exchanging goods (cash) for service (well...um "service"). I don't mind certain. I don't mind a bit of regulation in regards to where said things can be advertised or offered.

    By legitimized however is I mean I don't think it should be an out there in your face lets promote it as a possible path of employement type of thing. Its ultimately still an adult only entertainment venue. I wouldn't want to see it legalized and then in some way glamorized or pushed as a mainstream thing. Not saying pass legislation against such, but I would hope (and think) it'll be treated like sex shops, strip clubs, etc in regards to general community acceptance and forms of advertising/pervasiveness in the culture than something more "legitimate".

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Interesting.. Three responders say that prostitution should remain illegal, yet they have nothing to say.
    America, lets enter the 20th century and leave the 16th century.
    Tax and regulate prostitution, as the civilized countries do.
    Follow the example and leadership of Nevada.

  10. #20
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Prostitution Remain Illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It should be legalized, but not legitimized.

    Let me explain.

    I don't think the act should necessarily be illegal. IE the act of exchanging goods (cash) for service (well...um "service"). I don't mind certain. I don't mind a bit of regulation in regards to where said things can be advertised or offered.

    By legitimized however is I mean I don't think it should be an out there in your face lets promote it as a possible path of employement type of thing. Its ultimately still an adult only entertainment venue. I wouldn't want to see it legalized and then in some way glamorized or pushed as a mainstream thing. Not saying pass legislation against such, but I would hope (and think) it'll be treated like sex shops, strip clubs, etc in regards to general community acceptance and forms of advertising/pervasiveness in the culture than something more "legitimate".
    i completely agree, how weird is that?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •