View Poll Results: Should we stop burning the poppy fields

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    26 53.06%
  • no

    16 32.65%
  • other

    7 14.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afghanistan

    Other.
    We have no business in Iraq or Afghanistan other than searching for bin Laden and this thugs.
    We have absolutely no business with their poppy fields.
    What is the matter with us ?

  2. #22
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    Since when
    Since we came to the same conclusion.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #23
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Funny - when it comes to the drug-wars that are immediately south of us, we do nothing on their side of the fence, and many question why we've done nothing and bark up the tree of "war on drugs" and "my daddy loved crack more than he loved me, now I'm a psycho."

    But when it comes to us interceding into a drug-trade that's stationed on the other side of the world, we are quick and apt to intervene and try to stop it somehow, and some question why we're doing it and if we should stop.

    Interesting.

    So the real question is - shouldn't we be intervening equally in Columbia and Mexico?

    I guess one view is certain - people don't mind what we do as long as it's not in our backyard, however vast the expanse of our back yard is.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 10-22-09 at 03:41 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #24
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Burning their fields are a huge joke. For one, we were suppose to be over there fighting terrorists - not destroying nature like we often do at home. Afghanistan's police force can take care of this if they think it is a problem. After all, it would make good training exercise and some effort on their part, right?

    More importantly, we seem to have trouble ridding our own soil from "drugs," so why expand our failed operations to other countries.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Burning their fields are a huge joke. For one, we were suppose to be over there fighting terrorists - not destroying nature like we often do at home. Afghanistan's police force can take care of this if they think it is a problem. After all, it would make good training exercise and some effort on their part, right?

    More importantly, we seem to have trouble ridding our own soil from "drugs," so why expand our failed operations to other countries.

    Three quarters of the world's opium comes from Afghanistan's poppy fields. Burning those fields may help in slowing down the flow of opium to the world.

    While burning those fields may piss off the Afghans but it prevents the flow of drugs. I do not especially like the idea of taking the away the livelihood of Afghan citizens; however, if doing so stems the flow of opium to the world while preventing the taliban from reaping profits with which to purchase arms ... well ... maybe it has more positives than negatives.

  6. #26
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    Can we at least do this how can we expect to achieve results when we are burning away their economy.
    In Afghanistan, finding viable alternative crops for farmers now growing opium poppies would seem to be a first order of business.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/op...m&st=cse&scp=2

    OBL 11/24/02

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    In Afghanistan, finding viable alternative crops for farmers now growing opium poppies would seem to be a first order of business.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/op...m&st=cse&scp=2
    A buddy of mine, a national guard officer, was selected for the newly formed "agricultural development teams".

    He's an agronomist and does soil research for the GOVT as a civilian job.

    He's mid-tour in Afghanistan right now. He claims that we are making a pretty concentrated effort to teach the farmers to grow something beside poppy. He said that they have to grow crops the old-school way, but it's actually going pretty well. He did say that we aren't burning poppies nor interdicting the business anymore b/c it angers too many of the farmers.

  8. #28
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Three quarters of the world's opium comes from Afghanistan's poppy fields. Burning those fields may help in slowing down the flow of opium to the world.

    While burning those fields may piss off the Afghans but it prevents the flow of drugs. I do not especially like the idea of taking the away the livelihood of Afghan citizens; however, if doing so stems the flow of opium to the world while preventing the taliban from reaping profits with which to purchase arms ... well ... maybe it has more positives than negatives.
    Personally, I see a largely peaceful, and stable republic as more important than trying to stem the drug trade which will go on with or without the Taliban. Allowing the trade, even subtlely, will divert this source of revenue away from the Taliban. It will also piss off fewer Afghans. Pissing off the The people is the antithesis of what any good counter-insurgency commander would do.

  9. #29
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Other.
    We have no business in Iraq or Afghanistan other than searching for bin Laden and this thugs.
    We have absolutely no business with their poppy fields.
    What is the matter with us ?
    Because part of the reason why Pakistan allowed you to use them as a staging base was to deal with the Opium problem
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  10. #30
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: Should we stop burning the poppy fields in Afganistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Three quarters of the world's opium comes from Afghanistan's poppy fields. Burning those fields may help in slowing down the flow of opium to the world.

    While burning those fields may piss off the Afghans but it prevents the flow of drugs. I do not especially like the idea of taking the away the livelihood of Afghan citizens; however, if doing so stems the flow of opium to the world while preventing the taliban from reaping profits with which to purchase arms ... well ... maybe it has more positives than negatives.
    Then you do what Thailand did - find something as easy to grow with the same or better return. Once you do that you have the farmers with you rather than against you.
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •