Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    99% of the people you know ≠ 99% of the country.
    How many votes did he get in the last election? 10,000? 100,000? Would you say more than a million?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    THE LSAT and undergraduate GPA are still the best predictors of how one will do in law school. SInce you obviously have no personal experience with applying to or getting into top law schools you are spewing BS based on your desire to defend Obama and ignore the fact that most blacks who are accepted into top law schools would not be accepted if they were white or Asian and had the same score.

    http://lawreview.uchicago.edu/issues...hstein75-2.pdf

    Nearly two-thirds
    of black law studentsóincluding nearly all of the less qualified students
    who would bear the brunt of any mismatch effectsówould not
    have attended law school at all without affirmative action. Preferences
    are even more important at the most selective law schools, where black
    enrollment would decline by 90 percent under race-blind admission

    oops
    Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative. The most general structure of this argument is:

    1. Source A says that p is true.
    2. Source A is authoritative.
    3. Therefore, p is true.

    You have yet to provide any evidence that Obama actually benefited from affirmative action. Until you do? Nothing more than penis envy.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #53
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How many votes did he get in the last election? 10,000? 100,000? Would you say more than a million?
    It's funny how you engage in appeal to popularity in this post, yet attempt to call out another poster on appeal to authority in the very next post.

  4. #54
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative. The most general structure of this argument is:

    1. Source A says that p is true.
    2. Source A is authoritative.
    3. Therefore, p is true.

    You have yet to provide any evidence that Obama actually benefited from affirmative action. Until you do? Nothing more than penis envy.
    on the penis envy. .. you've gone to far. :P

    But for him to say Obama benefited from affirmative action.. that is a testament to the effectiveness of the program. Props to Obama for overcoming the odds as a minority.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    It's funny how you engage in appeal to popularity in this post, yet attempt to call out another poster on appeal to authority in the very next post.
    Here is what I said:

    Yeah, the only baggage he has is that 99% of the country thinks he's somebody's crazy uncle.
    Now look up what an appeal to popularity is. Wait, don't - I'll explain it to you: An appeal to popularity would be something like this:

    Yeah, the only baggage he has is that he is somebody's crazy uncle because 99% of the country believe he is.
    Now, I know it seems inconceivable to you that your Messiah avec les cheveux blancs would be somebody's crazy uncle(I'm not sure, does he have brothers?) but face it kid, he's unelectable because of the kind of **** he spews and how the overwhelming majority of the country sees him regardless of whether you are on the left or right.

    I mean if I was at a family party and Ron Paul was my crazy uncle and he was in the back screaming about how we need to stop eating healthy food, I'd avoid him too. On a normal basis he may not sound crazy but when he gets them grits in him....
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-25-10 at 01:10 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #56
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    on the penis envy. .. you've gone to far. :P

    But for him to say Obama benefited from affirmative action.. that is a testament to the effectiveness of the program. Props to Obama for overcoming the odds as a minority.
    What else would you call it when the only possible way that a black man could be more successful than you is if he was given a helping hand?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #57
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Here is what I said:
    Yeah, the only baggage he has is that 99% of the country thinks he's somebody's crazy uncle.
    You referred to the wrong post, champ. Readin' iz hared!

    Seriously, you should not post without adult supervision.

  8. #58
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How many votes did he get in the last election? 10,000? 100,000? Would you say more than a million?
    Ron Paul received 0 votes in the last Presidential election. And you haven't explained what makes Ron Paul a crazy uncle. I don't think any of his policies are crazy.
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  9. #59
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Ron Paul received 0 votes in the last Presidential election. And you haven't explained what makes Ron Paul a crazy uncle. I don't think any of his policies are crazy.
    I have a feeling it will involve something completely logical and rational like alleged penis size.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    You referred to the wrong post, champ. Readin' iz hared!

    Seriously, you should not post without adult supervision.
    Holy crap, this is more serious than I thought....

    Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Exceptions

    Appeal to belief is valid only when the question is whether the belief exists. Appeal to popularity is therefore valid only when the questions are whether the belief is widespread and to what degree. I.e., ad populum only proves that a belief is popular, not that it is true. In some domains, however, it is popularity rather than other strengths that makes a choice the preferred one.

    Democracy is based on appeal to popularity. As a means of determining the truth of beliefs, it is fallacious (see consensus reality and wikiality). Democracy does not obviate this; it merely makes the fallacy irrelevant as correctness is defined by popularity in its case (possibly subject to constitutional restrictions).

    Argumentum ad populum explains how some democracies (e.g. Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy) have fallen victim to the tyranny of the majority.
    In other words, you have failed basic reading comprehension. If I say, the majority of the country is in disagreement with Ron Paul's ideas and thus will not vote for him. This is VERIFIED by the number of people who for him.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-25-10 at 01:20 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •