Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

  1. #21
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    How is Ron Paul an extremist?
    Very few of the policies Ron Paul would implement as the President have mainstream support. These include:
    1) Going back to the gold standard
    2) Distestablishing the Federal Reserve
    3) Closing all overseas military bases
    4) U.S. withdrawal from the United Nations
    5) U.S. withdrawal from NATO
    6) The dissoultions of the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Commerce, the US Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Internal Revenue Service
    7) Repeal of the 17th Amendment
    8) Repeal of the 16th Amendment

    Those positions aren't very mainstream. If Ron Paul were to be elected, he could only enact 6 of those 8 policies, and doing so would be such a shock that it'll throw this country, and many other countries, into chaos for a time.

    That's why I don't think he'd be a good President. I think he's a decent Congressman, however, and have no problem with him continuing in that role.

  2. #22
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Jeb Bush.

    10char
    I don't know how Jeb Bush can get elected as a "small government conservative" when, as governor of Florida, he signed into a bill from the Florida legislature into law that affected only one person: Terri Schiavo.

  3. #23
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Paul Ryan.


  4. #24
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Very few of the policies Ron Paul would implement as the President have mainstream support. These include:
    1) Going back to the gold standard
    2) Distestablishing the Federal Reserve
    3) Closing all overseas military bases
    4) U.S. withdrawal from the United Nations
    5) U.S. withdrawal from NATO
    6) The dissoultions of the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Commerce, the US Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Internal Revenue Service
    7) Repeal of the 17th Amendment
    8) Repeal of the 16th Amendment

    Those positions aren't very mainstream. If Ron Paul were to be elected, he could only enact 6 of those 8 policies, and doing so would be such a shock that it'll throw this country, and many other countries, into chaos for a time.

    That's why I don't think he'd be a good President. I think he's a decent Congressman, however, and have no problem with him continuing in that role.
    Perhaps, but electing mainstream politicians has not proven very beneficial to the United States. Paul doesn't advocate completely relying on the gold standard and getting rid of the Federal Reserve should be a mainstream sentiment. However, I agree with you on the fact that it would be very difficult for him to get widespread support for his agenda. Though I think there could be a few instances where he could seriously embarass Obama. Of course, if Fox News controls the debate he probably won't get an invitation, similar to the last Presidential election. Then again... if it is against Obama... Fox News would have any Republican's back
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  5. #25
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Out of all the Republicans who might run for president in 2012, which do you think would perform best against Obama in a standard format debate?
    Is there a poll here somewhere?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #26
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Is there a poll here somewhere?
    No it's just put in the poll area to fool us. Newt would do a decent job. Paul would as well though his delivery when he talks has that "exasperated" whiny tone to it so it's difficult for listeners (including myself) to get past that -even when he makes very good points. Romney I think would also do very well - if healthcare is the only issue to be worried about, that won't be a problem.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Pardon my Naiveté

    When someone says Obama is 'stupid' as in unintelligent... I go:

    "....are they a psychotic fundamentalist?"

    As if we weren't talking about the same person. I dont know of anything that has ever qualified Obama as being dumb. Does anyone have examples?

    Good ones?

  8. #28
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Out of all the Republicans who might run for president in 2012, which do you think would perform best against Obama in a standard format debate?
    By best, do you mean getting the facts straight and disproving arguments/positions or making the most appealing logical fallacies?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #29
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Ron Paul. Doesn't carry the baggage the other Republicans carry and is overall a smart guy.
    Yeah, the only baggage he has is that 99% of the country thinks he's somebody's crazy uncle.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-24-10 at 09:43 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #30
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Who would do best against Obama in a debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Romney-he's much smarter than Obama, has had more government experience and he has two things Obama doesn't have-
    1) successful business experience
    2) He got into Harvard Law based on his record, not his race
    You're so hypocritical. Without any evidence you say Obama got into Harvard because of his race but will ignore the son of a rich politician getting into Harvard when it suits you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •