View Poll Results: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 56.41%
  • No

    14 35.90%
  • Other

    3 7.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

  1. #11
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not imagine anything would be gained by getting rid of the 17th amendment. The constitution is too valuable to change for minor reasons, and that is what this is.
    This is only true if you can show that the change is for a "minor reason".

  2. #12
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is only true if you can show that the change is for a "minor reason".
    Since I don't see this change as accomplishing anything, then I think I can safely say that if I am right, this would be a minor change.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #13
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Since I don't see this change as accomplishing anything, then I think I can safely say that if I am right, this would be a minor change.
    Oh. So your argument is entirely subjective.
    10-4.

  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Oh. So your argument is entirely subjective.
    10-4.
    Considering the thread is asking people's opinion on something, that should be a given.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #15
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Since I don't see this change as accomplishing anything, then I think I can safely say that if I am right, this would be a minor change.
    since you consider it a minor change than it will not be missed by eliminating it and returning o The Actual Constitution as written. since the Constitution should not be messed with over minor things

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  6. #16
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    I'm more in favor of abolishing the Senate. Prominent members of the Senate represent a population that is less than a large in other states.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  7. #17
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Considering the thread is asking people's opinion on something, that should be a given.
    That's fine -- but then, your mere opinion is no more compelling than the opposite.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That's fine -- but then, your mere opinion is no more compelling than the opposite.
    That is obvious and true of any one's opinion on these boards.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Think about the subpar quality of many of the appointed senators...
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  10. #20
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    10-24-09 @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3

    Re: Should the 17th Amendment be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Think about the subpar quality of many of the appointed senators...
    Think about the subpar quality of most of the elected senators.

    I'd rather have senators pandering to a state legislature, than have them running a perpetual re-election campaign.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •