View Poll Results: what do you assume ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • i assume the person is lying

    7 25.00%
  • i assume the person is saying the truth

    6 21.43%
  • i make no assumptions. i simply acknowledge that i don't know one way or the other.

    15 53.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: are you a trusting person ?

  1. #11
    Professor Lita456's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Joisey
    Last Seen
    03-20-10 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,273

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT View Post
    let me give you a few examples of a situation where you can either assume the person is saying the truth or that he is lying:

    example 1: a guy approaches a girl in the bar, the girl asks him what college did he attend and what he does for a living. he replies that he graduated from Harvard and is a lawyer. do you assume he is saying the truth or do you assume he is lying ?

    Lying....he just wants to get down her pants, and goes with the ole stigma, that woman are just with men for their money.

    example 2: a bunch of guys are hanging out with a bunch of girls then one girl asks one guy in front of everybody else - how big is your dick ? the guy answers 8 inches. do you assume he is exaggerating or do you assume that he read the number off a ruler ?

    Telling the truth, if he were lying he'd say something like 9 or 10.

    example 3: a politician who has seven houses says that he deeply cares about the needs of an average worker. do you assume he is lying or saying the truth ?

    Liar - all politicians lie.

    example 4: a girl starts crying telling her boyfriend " you never want to spend time with me, you don't care about me " and the guy replies " i am sorry i had so much work i didn't have any time to see you, i love you ". do you assume he is lying or saying the truth ?

    don't answer to any particular example just in general in cases such as the ones i describe ...
    4. Liar - doesn't take much to pick up the phone.
    Justice for Caylee
    I am a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties AKA Pro Peesha Whispering Spotted Horn

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    in the real world, nope

  3. #13
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    I picked the truth, but it really does depend. Most of the time, unless I have evidence or intuition that a person is lying, I will trust them to be telling me the truth. Most people can get away with telling me a lie, as long as it is believable and they haven't lied to me before about something similar.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Last Seen
    12-23-09 @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    616

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    i used to believe everybody but everybody was lying to me.

    at the same time i was always telling the truth but nobody would ever believe me.

    finally i am catching up. i am still telling the truth but at least i don't trust anybody any more.

    the average relationship lasts 2 weeks. this is when all the one night stands and all the 50 year relationships are averaged. most girls will not find out much about you in 2 weeks so you can tell them whatever you want.

    even worse - if the girl does find out that everything you told her was a lie she is not going to leave you just because of that. she will stay with you if she likes you.

    there is really not much point in saying the truth and and people who are afraid to lie are usually afraid to come up to a girl in the bar too. that's why girls never believe anything you say because statistically everything they hear is a lie.

    thats why you need to have a Bimmer. girls are really excited to see it! they think i will spend money on them - HAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! !

    i would rather pay a prostitute

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Last Seen
    12-23-09 @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    616

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    i used to trust a person unless he has lied to me before.

    now i distrust people unless i have known them for many years and they have NEVER lied to me.

    i find it funny that people EXPECT me to believe them when they tell me something.

    WHY ?

    it all ties into the way the government exercises its mind control over the population. they are trying to create a society where all lies are trusted - and their success is quite remarkable.

    little kids are taught in school that they " need to learn how to trust others " ...

    what a load of bull !

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT View Post
    example 1: a guy approaches a girl in the bar, the girl asks him what college did he attend and what he does for a living. he replies that he graduated from Harvard and is a lawyer. do you assume he is saying the truth or do you assume he is lying ?
    Depends where we are. If it's here in DC, I'd probably believe him. If I was back home in Dayton, Ohio, I'd be less likely to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT
    example 2: a bunch of guys are hanging out with a bunch of girls then one girl asks one guy in front of everybody else - how big is your dick ? the guy answers 8 inches. do you assume he is exaggerating or do you assume that he read the number off a ruler ?
    He's almost certainly lying.

    Quote Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT
    example 3: a politician who has seven houses says that he deeply cares about the needs of an average worker. do you assume he is lying or saying the truth ?
    I would believe him. Most people get into politics for honorable reasons. I don't see any conflict between being wealthy and caring about those who aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT
    example 4: a girl starts crying telling her boyfriend " you never want to spend time with me, you don't care about me " and the guy replies " i am sorry i had so much work i didn't have any time to see you, i love you ". do you assume he is lying or saying the truth ?
    Ehh...depends on their relationship.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    I answered in the context of Canada... so I answered that I generally assume that people are telling the truth. I've noticed, for me, that if I have faith in the honesty of others, then I'll tend to attract honest people into my life. The liars then stand out like a sore thumb. Different countries have a different level of common trust. In Asia I would trust no one.

  8. #18
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    Being a very cynical person I believe that trust is only earned. In majority of bar environments, everyone is full of ****.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #19
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT View Post
    i used to believe everybody but everybody was lying to me.

    at the same time i was always telling the truth but nobody would ever believe me.

    finally i am catching up. i am still telling the truth but at least i don't trust anybody any more.

    the average relationship lasts 2 weeks. this is when all the one night stands and all the 50 year relationships are averaged. most girls will not find out much about you in 2 weeks so you can tell them whatever you want.

    even worse - if the girl does find out that everything you told her was a lie she is not going to leave you just because of that. she will stay with you if she likes you.

    there is really not much point in saying the truth and and people who are afraid to lie are usually afraid to come up to a girl in the bar too. that's why girls never believe anything you say because statistically everything they hear is a lie.

    thats why you need to have a Bimmer. girls are really excited to see it! they think i will spend money on them - HAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! !

    i would rather pay a prostitute
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: are you a trusting person ?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post


    I think that's pretty cute.
    Then again, I've been accused of having very bad taste.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •