View Poll Results: Is the argument presented in the OP fair?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is entirely fair

    22 40.00%
  • No, it is an unfair attack on Obama

    32 58.18%
  • I don't know

    1 1.82%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 110

Thread: Is This a Fair Complaint

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    When it's on their time in a non-official capacity. No.

    Same as above.

    Same as above.

    No. As that is 1 unofficial time and 2 it builds a repor(sp?) with those Senators which could help get something good passed through the Senate.
    But hold on. Didn't you say this in regards to him deciding to stay up an additional hour, thus taking time out of his "unofficial tiem", to do work he missed while doing the olympic things?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    If he's going to stay up that extra hour then he could have informed himself of another issue.
    Didn't you also say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    See that's the thing. No matter how you swing it he could have been working on something more important. There are only so many hours in a day to work on something. I would rather him be working on something more important than working on the bid for some games that I will never watch.
    Couldn't during all those "unofficial" times he could've been working on something officially? I mean, isn't there only "so many hours in a day" to do work? You're saying he's allowed to do frivilous stuff in his "off time", but if he does real work as an "overtime" type thing to make up for some slightly less needed, but still technically, work thing he did earlier that he's "wasting" time?

    Your logic just doesn't make sense to me.

    He can do what he wants during his free time, unless its work related, in which case it must be judged on how useful and needed it is, even though its work related which immedietely puts it at a higher priority work wise than any non-work stuff he'd be doing in his unofficial time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    Yes and no. Yes because I believe that a Presidents time should be used for more important matters. No because doing such does increase morality.
    I'm guessing you mean increases moral rather than morality as I'm unsure how inviting sports players to the white house after winning a championship improves "Morality".

    And, if that's the case...

    Is it not a boost to the morale to have the Olympics, an event occuring every 4 years that the entire world watches and puts your country on display, hosted here in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I think the president should devote the same level of time to his job as the soldiers in the field have to devote to their jobs, until the war has been decided. Wolf down his chow, get back work, miss out on his afternoon nap, long hours ad short sleep, no vacations, etc. So, yeah, I have a problem with the president doing all those things.
    You joined recently so I'll have to take your word for it and ask you this.

    Were you equally critical of Bush since he invited every sports team that won a major championship in the United States to the white house, routinely went out mountain biking, and did numerous other things that I described above and those I didn't, all while we had a war going on for the past 8 years. Did you go on message boards speaking about his judgement and his commitment and other things to the troops, or did you remain silent in judging him on those issues?

  2. #62
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You joined recently so I'll have to take your word for it and ask you this.

    Were you equally critical of Bush since he invited every sports team that won a major championship in the United States to the white house, routinely went out mountain biking, and did numerous other things that I described above and those I didn't, all while we had a war going on for the past 8 years. Did you go on message boards speaking about his judgement and his commitment and other things to the troops, or did you remain silent in judging him on those issues?
    Yes, I've always felt that the president, whomever he may be, should live as the soldiers do while troops are on the battlefield, under his orders. I was very critical of Bush for giving in to the political will of the Libbos and took a candy ass approach to war fighting and ignoring the the division and brigade level commanders that were hard chargers and wanted to wage total war.

    I recommend reading On The Hunt, by Colonel David Hunt. He shares alot of my views.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #63
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    On the flip side...

    Wasn't one of the issues some liberals tended to use to go after Bush working from the Ranch, or not going to katrina right after, or finish reading to the kids rather than run out immedietely to go deal with 9/11 issues, or the fact that he spoke in a weird accent and got words wrong, is the fact that even if all those things aren't really "wrong" that they give a "negative perception" and that perception, regardless of whether its a true perception or not, is bad and makes America look bad and insults those he's ignoring/offending?

    If that's the case, isn't it the same thing here? That regardless of whether it really basically ruined 2 hours of work time for him that could've been spent jogging back in DC, its the PERCEPTION that he's presenting that he's dropping everything to go pitch for his city to get the Olympics while people are dieing in Afghanistan, the health care debate still rages on with no seeming end in sight, stimulous doesn't seem to be doing much stimulation, and unemployement is still looking bad.

    I don't actually think this, but could that be a "fair" thing to feel?
    Irrelevant to what I am asking. Yes, Bush got attacked unfairly(I will let you make your own guesses whether I was one to do so, since I cannot prove either way), but I am asking about this case. Is it fair to tie going to lobby for the Olympics and not making a decision on sending troops to Afghanistan? If the question was "is it fair to complain about this since others complained about Bush's vacations, you might have a point, though I would point out that stupidity should not excuse stupidity.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    But hold on. Didn't you say this in regards to him deciding to stay up an additional hour, thus taking time out of his "unofficial tiem", to do work he missed while doing the olympic things?



    Didn't you also say?



    Couldn't during all those "unofficial" times he could've been working on something officially? I mean, isn't there only "so many hours in a day" to do work? You're saying he's allowed to do frivilous stuff in his "off time", but if he does real work as an "overtime" type thing to make up for some slightly less needed, but still technically, work thing he did earlier that he's "wasting" time?

    Your logic just doesn't make sense to me.
    You don't understand my logic and yet you summarize it quite neatly in your next paragraph.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    He can do what he wants during his free time, unless its work related, in which case it must be judged on how useful and needed it is, even though its work related which immedietely puts it at a higher priority work wise than any non-work stuff he'd be doing in his unofficial time.
    His bid for the Olympics was considered an official trip. So it should indeed be critisized or not. In this case I believe that it should be critisized as there are more important things to be doing in his official capacity than asking for some games to come to the US, games which I personally will never watch or have anything to do with.



    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm guessing you mean increases moral rather than morality as I'm unsure how inviting sports players to the white house after winning a championship improves "Morality".

    And, if that's the case...

    Is it not a boost to the morale to have the Olympics, an event occuring every 4 years that the entire world watches and puts your country on display, hosted here in the U.S.?
    Yes sorry, moral. And yes it would boost moral to have the Olympic come to the US. However there are others that could have went instead of Obama. For example the Mayor of Chicago (or any other mayor for their respective cities). Others that could have gone is Bill Clinton, or Obama's wife by herself. These are people that do not have near as much on their plate as does Obama. Yet they still would have been just as qualified as Obama for this situation.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Is it fair to tie going to lobby for the Olympics and not making a decision on sending troops to Afghanistan?
    Being as the Afghanistan war is more important...yes.

    Let's put it this way.

    Spouse A and B has 2 kids. Spouse B has a bad cold as does Kid B. Spouse A has a choice of weather to stay home and take care of Spouse B and Kid B or to take Kid A to a baseball game.

    Which do you think Spouse A should do?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #66
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Being as the Afghanistan war is more important...yes.

    Let's put it this way.

    Spouse A and B has 2 kids. Spouse B has a bad cold as does Kid B. Spouse A has a choice of weather to stay home and take care of Spouse B and Kid B or to take Kid A to a baseball game.

    Which do you think Spouse A should do?
    Unfair comparison. Obama did not even lose 1 day to this, an hour or 2 most likely, which he can easily make up.

    If he gets the same amount done whether he goes or not, how is he not handling his obligations?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Unfair comparison. Obama did not even lose 1 day to this, an hour or 2 most likely, which he can easily make up.

    If he gets the same amount done whether he goes or not, how is he not handling his obligations?
    Ok so throw in a babysitter or mother/in law that won't be there for a couple of hours (or one hour) to help/take over. The comparison is valid.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #68
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Ok so throw in a babysitter or mother/in law that won't be there for a couple of hours (or one hour) to help. The comparison is valid.
    If he is on flextime, as Obama is, then it is no big deal. If he works the same number of hours, nothing is lost. You could even argue that he is working more hours.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If he is on flextime, as Obama is, then it is no big deal. If he works the same number of hours, nothing is lost. You could even argue that he is working more hours.
    There is no flex time here. We've got 1-2 hours that is set. Does he take care of his sick wife/child or does he go off and do something that is not as important?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #70
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is This a Fair Complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    There is no flex time here. We've got 1-2 hours that is set. Does he take care of his sick wife/child or does he go off and do something that is not as important?
    Then it is not a comparable situation. Obama's work hours are whatever hours he works.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •