Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Are you glad or not?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    So, are they going to have the Summer Olympics in their summer or during the Northern Hemisphere summer?

  2. #12
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    I'm not sure the weather there, but I would imagine that it would be during an actual summer as they are the summer games.

    For me, I don't really care all that much. I think Chicago dodged a bullet in terms of money to be spent and new levels of corruption (don't think there are land deals going on and there isn't corruption). I mean, if they did get them I'm sure the city itself would be happy. Just don't send anyone to the south side. But in the end, it doesn't matter too much. The Olympics are a money pit and people only marginally care about them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #13
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,205

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not sure the weather there, but I would imagine that it would be during an actual summer as they are the summer games.

    For me, I don't really care all that much. I think Chicago dodged a bullet in terms of money to be spent and new levels of corruption (don't think there are land deals going on and there isn't corruption). I mean, if they did get them I'm sure the city itself would be happy. Just don't send anyone to the south side. But in the end, it doesn't matter too much. The Olympics are a money pit and people only marginally care about them.
    Olympics offer ****loads of jobs to the host city's population.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #14
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Olympics offer ****loads of jobs to the host city's population.
    Some very temporary jobs, yes.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Some very temporary jobs, yes.
    That have to be paid for, up front, years in advance of any possible earnings.

  6. #16
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Dodged an expensive bullet.

    I heard one argument for having the olympics in Chicago was that Chicago has already demolished low-income housing like Cabrini-Green and so the necessary "face-lift" would be less costly.

    Lula, on the other hand, has pledged that some of the Olympic construction would become low-income housing post Olympics. I am rooting for Brazil

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    I heard one argument for having the olympics in Chicago was that Chicago has already demolished low-income housing like Cabrini-Green and so the necessary "face-lift" would be less costly.
    What's interesting about demolishing low income housing is that it doesn't demolish the low income. It just forces them out into new areas.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    What's interesting about demolishing low income housing is that it doesn't demolish the low income. It just forces them out into new areas.
    Chicago already did this once too. They moved a bunch of people out of Chicago and into the rest of Illinois to make room for a golf course. Major of Bloomington somehow ended up with a sweet deal on some great property in Chicago and by coincidence many of the housing vouchers Chicago gave to its poor people to get the hell out moved them to Bloomington, IL.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Chicago already did this once too. They moved a bunch of people out of Chicago and into the rest of Illinois to make room for a golf course. Major of Bloomington somehow ended up with a sweet deal on some great property in Chicago and by coincidence many of the housing vouchers Chicago gave to its poor people to get the hell out moved them to Bloomington, IL.
    And then, Bloomington's gang violence rates shot skyhigh.

    SCORE! Excellent plan.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are you glad or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    And then, Bloomington's gang violence rates shot skyhigh.

    SCORE! Excellent plan.
    Yup. My parents still live there, and their suburb was next to a new low income housing complex. A few weeks after the whole Chicago thing moving their poor people out, my parents home was robbed (thankfully they were out of town, so they couldn't have gotten hurt). First time pretty much ever. It's great that Chicago is exporting their crime to rural Illinois. Shows how great a government that city has.

    Don't get me wrong, I do love Chicago. Huge Cubs and Bears fan, the city itself is great. Awesome culture (museums, aquariums, parks, etc), the people are pretty cool, it's just a nice place (if you're not driving). But the government...the government is amongst the worst in the entire Republic. Corrupt all the way through, and the Olympics...there would have been a lot of rich people in Chicago who would become slightly richer because of it. Though most people would just have to pony up taxpayer dollars to fund that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •