View Poll Results: Should getting a sex change be legal?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be legal

    96 80.67%
  • No, it should be illegal

    20 16.81%
  • I don't know

    3 2.52%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 195

Thread: Should getting a sex change be legal?

  1. #121
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yes that is because they either because they lack common sense or they let their pro-homosexual bigotry effect their opinion on this matter.
    I think the fact that you obviously haven't met any transgendered individuals, not to mention your ignorant views on homosexuality have an effect on your opinion in this matter. So yeah, I certainly wouldn't look to you to make a reasonable and informed assertion on this issue.

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    I could never understand how doctors could do this.

    If you have someone with a perfectly healthy and functioning physical body and has a mind telling them that they are the wrong sex it seems to me that the problem is not with the body but with the mind.

    It seems to me that you would then want to treat the mind with counseling, therapy, etc. and not alter the body.

    But doctors have decided to ignore the root-cause of the problem (the mind) and mutilate what is healthy and normal (the body).

    Apparently all of the money is in performing the surgery.
    The educational/entertaining TV stations (Discovery, NatGeo,History) did have a very interesting series on this phenomena of human development.
    Things go "wrong"..
    Thus we end up with one sex in the body and the opposite in the mind.
    That is the problem, NOT the mind.
    If the mind could be changed to agree with the body, great....
    But I do not see how that is possible..
    Go for the change, enjoy life.
    Ignore what lesser people "think".

  3. #123
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yes that is because they either because they lack common sense or they let their pro-homosexual bigotry effect their opinion on this matter.
    Oh yes, that's it, we are all dumb and reverse bigots. Yes, that makes alot more sense than just you are making inaccurate assumptions.

    I do like the "pro-homosexual bigot" line though, I might have to steal that.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    I don't think it should be illegal. However I do think at a certain point in the not too distant future it would behoove us as a society to start holding drs. who take advantage of the mentally ill accountable. Things like Michael Jackson's face should never happen. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it for money. There's a fine line between helping a person feel better about their body, make their body more workable for them, etc vs helping a mentally ill masochist mutilate themselves. There are ethics involved and seeing some of the stuff drs. have been paid to do to folks is more than enough evidence that the dollar is king and ethics have gone out the window.

  5. #125
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yes that is because they either because they lack common sense or they let their pro-homosexual bigotry effect their opinion on this matter.
    How do you expect to be taken seriously with rhetoric like this?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #126
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I'm thinking it's only obvious to you and the minority of people who think like you. Regardless, your assessment, no matter how well-informed you think it is, does not match up to having a degree and/or the expertise needed to diagnose someone as mentally ill. You are expressing your personal opinion, which still doesn't hold any water..
    Again you do not need a degree to state what is so blatantly obvious and if you feel that you do then all the degrees in the world are not going to help you obtain any common sense. Do you need to be a expert in space to know that the earth orbits the sun?


    And why is that so far fetched? Do you think genetics are perfect and that we all come out exactly how we are supposed to be? Something tells me you haven't met anybody who is transgendered because you are generalizing a lot here.



    And all of this, like the rest of your arguments, can be disregarded simply because you are working on the assumption that you are right about them being mentally ill. This assertion is based on nothing more than your personal opinion which....nope.. it still doesn't hold any water. Try again
    Again normal perfectly sane people do not feel or think that they are the wrong gender or the wrong species. So your argument that you need a degree to make this assumptions is a load of crap.It is common sense that these people are not sane.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Again you do not need a degree to state what is so blatantly obvious and if you feel that you do then all the degrees in the world are not going to help you obtain any common sense. Do you need to be a expert in space to know that the earth orbits the sun?
    Thank goodness some educated people figured out that one.

  8. #128
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oh yes, that's it, we are all dumb and reverse bigots. .
    There is no such thing as reverse racism or reverse bigotry. It is either or it is not, not reverse.

    Bigotry can be defined as narrow mindedness, bias or the intolerance of others beliefs. So yes this definition most certainly applies to the pro-homosexual crowd.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #129
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Again you do not need a degree to state what is so blatantly obvious and if you feel that you do then all the degrees in the world are not going to help you obtain any common sense. Do you need to be a expert in space to know that the earth orbits the sun?
    Again normal perfectly sane people do not feel or think that they are the wrong gender or the wrong species. So your argument that you need a degree to make this assumptions is a load of crap.It is common sense that these people are not sane.
    It's only blatantly obvious to you and your ilk. And yes, psychological disorders are complex enough that one would need expertise in order to make an accurate assessment as to whether transgendered people are mentally ill or not. And your comparison to the earth orbiting the sun is absurd. Why do we know this stuff? Because we learned it from the words of experts. It's not just common sense. If it was common sense people wouldn't have once thought that the Earth was the center of the universe.

  10. #130
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should getting a sex change be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post

    (I'm not necessarily saying this surgery should be illegal; I'm just saying I have some reservations about it being done in cases where there was no physical abnormality at birth.)
    I suppose so, but we let people do all kinds of stuff to their bodies as it is now. You can pierce pretty much anything now. You can tat pretty much anything. You can buy hormones that cause all kinds of changes. You can go to a plastic surgeon and turn yourself into whatever you want (there's a comedian know for that, he once turned his face into a blue elephant, I kid you not). So, it's kind of like, is this really anything drastically different?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •