View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #401
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I understand how it is. I don't understand why.
    Because anything dealing with her is over. Everything else falls within proper realm of judicial powers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Only if the victim requests that that it be so. Once the victim takes the creep's side, it seems to me that it may as well be a victimless crime.
    The victim has no say in running. When someone runs, the "victim" isn't the person. It's the State. The State has the power granted by the authority and sovereignty of the People. Running and fleeing the country is against the State, not the person.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #402
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Because anything dealing with her is over. Everything else falls within proper realm of judicial powers.
    Ok. I get that. I still don't see who benefits.

    The victim has no say in running. When someone runs, the "victim" isn't the person. It's the State. The State has the power granted by the authority and sovereignty of the People. Running and fleeing the country is against the State, not the person.
    That's fine. I don't really mind him being tried for fleeing the country, and I won't mind seeing the creep go to jail.

    My whole point was the nonsensicalness of seeking 'justice' for someone who didn't want it.

  3. #403
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Translation: "Democrats are idiots." What a surprise.
    Idiots happens to be YOUR word; the word I had in mind was naive or wallowing in uininformed ignorance for the most part.

    By the way, who did you vote for again?


  4. #404
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Ok. I get that. I still don't see who benefits.
    It's a tricky line to walk. Because on one hand, maybe no one (individual) really benefits. But on the other hand, the government has a duty to us to uphold our sovereignty and authority.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    That's fine. I don't really mind him being tried for fleeing the country, and I won't mind seeing the creep go to jail.

    My whole point was the nonsensicalness of seeking 'justice' for someone who didn't want it.
    The justice part was the original trial/plea deal. Now it's just state power and such. But I don't quite take so kindly to my sovereignty being trashed upon by some pedophile scum.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #405
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fair enough, but there is evidence galore about what went down. The only contention can come in on the mothers side. Did she know what was going to happen and offer up her daughter or not. But the drugs, the non-consensual sex, the ages; those are all facts.
    To expand on this, I went back and reread some posts to quote and such. I found that I had misread some of what you had written. That's my fault, I should have been more careful before resorting to emotional outburst. So I apologize to Bodhisattva for that one.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #406
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    It's a tricky line to walk. Because on one hand, maybe no one (individual) really benefits. But on the other hand, the government has a duty to us to uphold our sovereignty and authority.
    Maybe. I tend to think that the government's duty is to protect whoever it can without overstepping its bounds, and to seek justice for those it fails to protect.

    The justice part was the original trial/plea deal. Now it's just state power and such. But I don't quite take so kindly to my sovereignty being trashed upon by some pedophile scum.
    I disagree. The justice part is the sentencing and carrying out of the sentence. The trial/plea was the "figuring out what really happened" part.

  7. #407
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fair enough, but there is evidence galore about what went down. The only contention can come in on the mothers side. Did she know what was going to happen and offer up her daughter or not. But the drugs, the non-consensual sex, the ages; those are all facts.
    quaaludes... that is a serious drug and simply alcohol. Yeah, found what I was looking for. Never said he was not a pedophile or a creep, he is both.

    To those that keep arguing that we should just let this go... what? The state acts regardless of the personal feelings of those involved since they are upholding laws and not backing peoples opinions. It matters not how long ago it was, for he was convicted already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #408
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    To expand on this, I went back and reread some posts to quote and such. I found that I had misread some of what you had written. That's my fault, I should have been more careful before resorting to emotional outburst. So I apologize to Bodhisattva for that one.
    Thanks... all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #409
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I think you may be a bit misinformed. Rape victims already can drop charges prior to the trial. Why they can drop them prior to the trial but not after the trial yet before sentencing baffles me.
    If they are adult rape yes. For child rape no.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #410
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    If they are adult rape yes. For child rape no.
    Yes. If victim has reached the age of majority, they can drop the charges for sexual misconduct committed against them before they reached the age of majority.

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •