View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #391
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,955

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You can make as many excuses for pedophiles you want. Doesn't change the fact. He gave a minor drugs, he had sex with her, she testified it was against her wishes. 40 some old year guy had sex with drugged up 13 year old. That's the facts. I don't care what you can come up with to excuse this man's pedophilia. He did the crime, he was arrested, he plead guilty, he fled the country. Deal with the facts, not your preconceived notion of pedophilia and rape.
    You are not hearing me at all and making ridiculous assumptions about what I am talking about. Your attempt to smear me about making excuses for pedophiles is disgusting and pathetic. It doesn't say much about you as a person, one that I thought better of prior to this crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #392
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are not hearing me at all and making ridiculous assumptions about what I am talking about. Your attempt to smear me about making excuses for pedophiles is disgusting and pathetic. It doesn't say much about you as a person, one that I thought better of prior to this crap.
    No, it's you who are not hearing. You keep saying she looked this way and that way. But the facts of the case are very clear. People want to avoid the facts of the case to put forth their own interpretation. There are court documents, police reports, etc. on this case. The girl was on drugs, Polanski gave them to her. The girl was underage by a lot. The girl said no. That's it. Furthermore, he plead guilty to a lesser charge and was going to be given time served. He fled instead. That's it. I mean, it doesn't matter if a 16 year old gets caught up with a 14 year old, or any of that. I understand that currently (not as they were in the 70's) laws are overboard and with the lists and automatic sentencing we've taken the system well to far to the other side. But this has nothing to do with this. This is a man who thumbed his nose at our sovereignty and ran from punishment. That's that. There's no excuse for what Polanski did, none at all. It doesn't matter. The man was in his 40's, he knew better. Hell, I ain't even that old yet and I know not to get caught up in that situation. It's a bad choice and illegal. He threw the dice and rolled a 1. Epic fail. We can try to displace blame as much as we want; but in the end of the day Polanski made a choice, the action of that choice was and still is illegal, he was caught and brought to justice, he plead guilty to lesser charges and was to be given time served, he fled the country to France where we knew he wouldn't be extradited.

    Time caught up with him, that's all.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #393
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    We waste way more money on well worse stuff. I'm not that disturbed about us keeping open a warrant and if we get information on the criminal, acting on the warrant. Doesn't cost that much, and is proper action in most cases.

    If this were a significant percentage of our GDP, I'd probably agree with you. But it's sub percent and thus I don't care. If we want to bitch about money, there's plenty to bitch about. But I want something which makes a difference.
    I'm not claiming that this is the worst expenditure known to man, but as I see it, our duty is to the victim. Once the victim switches sides, any further effort or expenditure is counterproductive to the whole aim of justice.

    You're still not listening on this case. There's nothing to dismiss. Had this never made it to court in the first place, maybe I'd be inclined to agree with out. But that's not reality. Reality is that he went to trial and plead guilty. That part of the case is now over, he had to be sentenced (his plea was time served) and then he ran before that. That's where we're at. Now he committed further crime by fleeing.
    We are clearly having communication difficulties here. I really feel like I am listening, but I must not be communicating well. The trial is over, he plead guilty, he ran away before sentencing. That part of the case is over. I agree with all that, and I don't recall ever disagreeing. Processing him and sentencing him and carrying out the sentence are all parts of the case that aren't over though, and could be abandoned.

    Again, not listening. The victim is out of this equation now. Now it's all the State.
    Still listening. I agree that the victim is out of the equation now. I just don't see what interest the state should have once the victim removed from the equation. Isn't the whole point to seek justice for the victim?

    Because it's the first time I heard you bring up money. It's previously been that the victim doesn't want charges brought up, so charges shouldn't be brought up. But the victim has very little to do with this anymore.
    Well, the two are related. If the victim has no interest in seeing him sentenced, why waste money on it? If she wanted to see him pay for what he did, we would have a legitimate interest in helping her get justice. If she doesn't want our help, why should we be involved further? It seems like a waste to me.

    All that said, if Polanski got hit by a bus, I wouldn't shed any tears for him. Aside from being a perverted creep, he's a talentless director.

  4. #394
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    For safety and equality reasons we cannot let a rape victim drop charges. No matter what.

    If we allowed a rape victim to drop charges then we would have to let them all drop the charges (equality). This would lead to those that don't care about laws to try and coerce the victims into dropping the charges. (Safety) Rape is too serious of a crime to let this happen. Particularly child rape. Hell it's such a major no no that child rapists have to be put in a different section of prison just to keep them away from everyone else...cause even a murderer would string up a child rapist.
    I think you may be a bit misinformed. Rape victims already can drop charges prior to the trial. Why they can drop them prior to the trial but not after the trial yet before sentencing baffles me.

  5. #395
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I'm not claiming that this is the worst expenditure known to man, but as I see it, our duty is to the victim. Once the victim switches sides, any further effort or expenditure is counterproductive to the whole aim of justice.
    You're not listening. The victim no longer has say, she's out of the picture. This is now about the sovereignty of our judicial system and their ability to punish people after due process of law. You think that if someone runs, that should be it? Oh well, **** it? There isn't much money being spent, this is actually legitimate purpose of the government (for once), that's it. The victim no longer applies. This is all up to our court system, if they feel they should pursue it then fine. If there was something fundamentally wrong with what the government was doing, I'd probably be more inclined to agree with you. But this is legitimately their power. I don't think we should ignore people thumbing their nose at our sovereignty, nor do I believe we should reward running from our courts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    We are clearly having communication difficulties here. I really feel like I am listening, but I must not be communicating well. The trial is over, he plead guilty, he ran away before sentencing. That part of the case is over. I agree with all that, and I don't recall ever disagreeing. Processing him and sentencing him and carrying out the sentence are all parts of the case that aren't over though, and could be abandoned.
    But you base that abandonment on the basis of what the victim wants. The victim is out of the picture now. Besides, we do this all the time, for instance domestic abuse. This is now all about our court system and our law. The wishes of the victim are irrelevant now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Still listening. I agree that the victim is out of the equation now. I just don't see what interest the state should have once the victim removed from the equation. Isn't the whole point to seek justice for the victim?
    No, it's theoretical point is to enforce punishment of law breaking; the law of which is based on the rights and liberties of the individual. But laws aren't always of that base and I'll agree with getting rid of bad laws or limiting what the courts can punish for them. But the courts enforce punishment of law breaking. The courts operate on our authority and our sovereignty. Running from it, pretending to be a victim; that's just insulting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Well, the two are related. If the victim has no interest in seeing him sentenced, why waste money on it?
    Because that is the JOB of the judicial branch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    If she wanted to see him pay for what he did, we would have a legitimate interest in helping her get justice. If she doesn't want our help, why should we be involved further? It seems like a waste to me.
    It's not a waste. First off, not a lot of resources go towards this. Second, it's their job. Third, the victim has no say in the case anymore. Continually bringing her up does nothing for your point. She's not a factor anymore. The courts still have to do their job.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #396
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Again, I have no desire to educate you on your quest for understanding.


    Congratulations.
    Dogma worship.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  7. #397
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    I'm not even sure how to address such nuttery.

    Let's try this... say Random Dude A murders Random Dude B. Are you seriously suggesting that, because the victim is dead and cannot "seek justice," the murder should not be considered a crime and the murderer should not be prosecuted? Seriously?
    Obviously it is reasonable to assume that any wronged party would want justice until they state otherwise. If by some miraculous means a murder victim rose from the dead to drop charges against their murderer, then yes, I think the charges should be dropped. As I understand it, assault charges and attempted murder charges can be dropped by the victim.

    So, now you're suggesting that true justice belongs only to some. That goes against our entire judicial and legislative history. Hell, it goes against everything our country was founded upon and stands for. WTF?
    Yeah, 'true justice' only belongs to those who don't specifically request not to have it. Why should 'true justice' be forced down the victims' throats?

    How is holding Polanski responsible for his crime "a detriment" to the wronged party? Freaking SOCIETY is wronged when criminals are not held responsible for their actions. What planet do you live on?
    I live on a planet where the actual victim is the wronged party, and their interests should be taken under heavy consideration.

    Suppose my sister had a drug problem and in a drug induced rage she stabbed me with a knife while I was trying to help her. I wouldn't want her to go to jail for trying to kill me, I would want her to get help getting clean so I could have my sister back. Thus I would drop any assault or attempted murder charges.

    Sending my little sister to jail for trying to kill me anyway wouldn't be any kind of real justice. It would hurt me at least as much as the actual stabbing.

    So we should just toss out any pretense of justice, all together. Brilliant argument.
    Justice for who? The victim whose interests you are ignoring?

  8. #398
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,955

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, it's you who are not hearing. You keep saying she looked this way and that way. But the facts of the case are very clear. People want to avoid the facts of the case to put forth their own interpretation. There are court documents, police reports, etc. on this case. The girl was on drugs, Polanski gave them to her. The girl was underage by a lot. The girl said no. That's it. Furthermore, he plead guilty to a lesser charge and was going to be given time served. He fled instead. That's it. I mean, it doesn't matter if a 16 year old gets caught up with a 14 year old, or any of that. I understand that currently (not as they were in the 70's) laws are overboard and with the lists and automatic sentencing we've taken the system well to far to the other side. But this has nothing to do with this. This is a man who thumbed his nose at our sovereignty and ran from punishment. That's that. There's no excuse for what Polanski did, none at all. It doesn't matter. The man was in his 40's, he knew better. Hell, I ain't even that old yet and I know not to get caught up in that situation. It's a bad choice and illegal. He threw the dice and rolled a 1. Epic fail. We can try to displace blame as much as we want; but in the end of the day Polanski made a choice, the action of that choice was and still is illegal, he was caught and brought to justice, he plead guilty to lesser charges and was to be given time served, he fled the country to France where we knew he wouldn't be extradited.

    Time caught up with him, that's all.
    This answer demonstrates that you are, in fact, not hearing me at all. I am not attempting to displace blame. I did not say that she looked this way or that (indicating that she was part of the problem or partly to blame). I am asking for more detail. I am asking for clear and concise facts. I am asking for people to also attempt to understand that things are not always as black and white as they might appear in situations like this. Nobody has shown how she was drugged or what the drugs were either. There is a lot of running around with pitchforks and torches and shouting down people attempting to see this clearly though. There is a lot of hatred regarding him, and that is fine.

    You still accused me of something as ****ty as making excuses for pedophiles, indicating that I am some piece of crap apologist and that is pretty ****ing stupid and childish.

    You keep shouting out that he did this and she did that and have fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #399
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    You're not listening. The victim no longer has say, she's out of the picture.
    I understand how it is. I don't understand why.

    You think that if someone runs, that should be it? Oh well, **** it?
    Only if the victim requests that that it be so. Once the victim takes the creep's side, it seems to me that it may as well be a victimless crime.

  10. #400
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    This answer demonstrates that you are, in fact, not hearing me at all. I am not attempting to displace blame. I did not say that she looked this way or that (indicating that she was part of the problem or partly to blame). I am asking for more detail. I am asking for clear and concise facts. I am asking for people to also attempt to understand that things are not always as black and white as they might appear in situations like this. Nobody has shown how she was drugged or what the drugs were either. There is a lot of running around with pitchforks and torches and shouting down people attempting to see this clearly though. There is a lot of hatred regarding him, and that is fine.

    You still accused me of something as ****ty as making excuses for pedophiles, indicating that I am some piece of crap apologist and that is pretty ****ing stupid and childish.

    You keep shouting out that he did this and she did that and have fun...
    Fair enough, but there is evidence galore about what went down. The only contention can come in on the mothers side. Did she know what was going to happen and offer up her daughter or not. But the drugs, the non-consensual sex, the ages; those are all facts.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •