View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps you might want to get the facts straight before you render an opinion on this matter:

    First of all, Polanski entered into a plea agreement with the District Attorney which the judge reneged on. It is extremely rare for a judge to interpose themselves in matters such as this. The Judge does not have the same breadth of information regarding the case that the defense and the prosecutor have. Had the judge not reneged, Polanski would have received a "time served" offer. The judge wanted him to serve multiple years in prison.

    Perhaps the reason for the discrepancy was that there was a lot of things unknown regarding the case and likely difficult for the prosecution to get a conviction. What is clear is that this is not the case of a pedophile picking up a 13 year old and raping them. This case involved the girl and her mother essentially attempting to get a break in Hollywood through sexual favors. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it a different type of case. It is also unclear whether Polanski actually knew the girl was underage. Most accounts indicate that the girl looked and carried herself as substantially older.


    Because of these factors, the District Attorney understood that they had problems with proof in the case and very likely would not be able to get a conviction. As a result, they offered a plea deal to Polanski which he accepted.

    What Polanski did and his fleeing are certainly not commendable, however, many of the problems were created by the judge who was not aware of the weakness of the DA's case.

    Polanski should be sentenced pursuant to the original deal which was "time served" and probation.
    This I can agree with. If he had worked out a deal with the district attorney, it was very unprofessional for the judge to renege. He should be brought to justice with whatever terms to which he originally agreed.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Well...according to her, the courts and media circus have caused her more harm than Polanski ever did. Take that for what you will.
    Well that is unfortunate, but the law needs to be followed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I agree that he should be brought to justice for his crime, but I disagree that he should be charged for running. The statute of limitations HAS expired for that crime, and since it's not a major crime (unlike his original offense) I think that one should be allowed to slide. However, he should be extradited to the United States to face sentencing for the crime to which he pleaded guilty.
    Well, if the SoL is up, then it's up. So I agree here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Actually he doesn't even need to be prosecuted; he already pleaded guilty to that crime. He just needs to be sentenced.
    that's what I meant... thanks for that

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is a big cultural divide between the Anglosphere and continental Europe. I think we Americans are more likely to believe that no one should be above the law, and that the time since the original offense does not lessen it (at least in some cases). It seems like the French are more likely to consider a person's accomplishments and overall character instead of just the actual offense.

    I'm not saying that one view is right or wrong...but I would tend to agree that he should face the consequences of his actions despite the elapsed time and despite his other accomplishments.
    Yes. The crime was in America.

  3. #23
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps you might want to get the facts straight before you render an opinion on this matter:
    I'll admit, I didn't study the legal process, involved... my argument was that whatever judgement was rendered should stand and that he should be held accountable for his actions, not living it up in along the champs d'elysee.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    On the one hand, he's an old man who is unlikely to reoffend (certainly not in the United States), and his victim has stated that she doesn't want him to be punished. It seems unlikely that anyone at all would benefit from Polanski's incarceration.

    On the other hand, he committed a serious crime and plead guilty to it. There is no statute of limitations here. Additionally, he is a fugitive from justice, which makes him no different than an escaped convict.

    Do you think Polanski should be punished for his crime? (Note: I'm not asking if you think the Swiss should extradite him, as that's a completely separate issue. I'm just asking if he should be punished from a criminal justice perspective.)
    Yes he should be punished as not doing so will just make other criminals realize that they can just leave the country and once their old not get punished. As you said there are no statute of limitations.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #25
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I care about the law. If you break the law, you deserve the punishment.
    so continue to punish her. this issue was 30 years ago. why bring it into her life again. he has not been in the US and there has been no repeat. he is 76 years old for Christ's sake. if the woman had not asked for this to be dropped than maybe you have a point. she has. done deal in my mind. no charges, no crime, no criminal, no time to be served.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  6. #26
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    We promote justice even when it hurts people.
    so now the justice (if justice at all) is hurting the woman and this is a good thing in your mind? why?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #27
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    and who's to blame for all this? For ruining her life? POLANSKI.

    I do not think she should be forced to testify, he already confessed. Plus they need to charge him for running.

    I think it's a shame that anyone would oppose his prosecution for raping a defenseless young girl. Then running to france and living his life as if he'd done nothing wrong.
    i think this is just the inept American courts trying to show that there may be someone out there they have the ability to catch. i am really surprised that France wasn't invaded by Bush over this for harboring a criminal from the US. maybe he could have actually caught someone he went after. unlike Bin Laden, where is he by the way. maybe they can ask Roman when they drag him into court.

    he went to France because he had a home there. makes sense to me. he went home.

    he excepted the plea on bad advise from his attorney. mistrial. now she wants the charges dropped. have a nice life you two.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  8. #28
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps you might want to get the facts straight before you render an opinion on this matter:

    First of all, Polanski entered into a plea agreement with the District Attorney which the judge reneged on. It is extremely rare for a judge to interpose themselves in matters such as this. The Judge does not have the same breadth of information regarding the case that the defense and the prosecutor have. Had the judge not reneged, Polanski would have received a "time served" offer. The judge wanted him to serve multiple years in prison.

    Perhaps the reason for the discrepancy was that there was a lot of things unknown regarding the case and likely difficult for the prosecution to get a conviction. What is clear is that this is not the case of a pedophile picking up a 13 year old and raping them. This case involved the girl and her mother essentially attempting to get a break in Hollywood through sexual favors. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it a different type of case. It is also unclear whether Polanski actually knew the girl was underage. Most accounts indicate that the girl looked and carried herself as substantially older.


    Because of these factors, the District Attorney understood that they had problems with proof in the case and very likely would not be able to get a conviction. As a result, they offered a plea deal to Polanski which he accepted.

    What Polanski did and his fleeing are certainly not commendable, however, many of the problems were created by the judge who was not aware of the weakness of the DA's case.

    Polanski should be sentenced pursuant to the original deal which was "time served" and probation.
    a voice of sanity. thank you
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  9. #29
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    "so now the justice (if justice at all) is hurting the woman and this is a good thing in your mind? why?" - katiegrrl0

    1. The victim does not determine what justice is. Society does.

    2. There is still the matter of punishment. He raped a 13 year old child. Normal people consider this punishable.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    so continue to punish her. this issue was 30 years ago. why bring it into her life again. he has not been in the US and there has been no repeat. he is 76 years old for Christ's sake. if the woman had not asked for this to be dropped than maybe you have a point. she has. done deal in my mind. no charges, no crime, no criminal, no time to be served.
    The reason it is 30 years ago is he fled justice. It is his fault justice is delayed.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •