View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #261
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    It is amazing just how little people that say what the judge did (or didn't do since we'll never know what he was going to actually do since Polanski ran before the sentencing) was wrong know how our court system actually works and has worked for the past 200+ years.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Oh, so the fact that you don't think he's a bad guy means that he should be able to forcibly rape children and flee the country with impunity. Great point!
    Oh, so you too have reading comprehension troubles. Great!

    Thus let me post a video for you. It is the first part of an interesting doc, titled Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, by Marina Zenovich.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px9WxqYe8VY"]YouTube - Roman Polanski #1[/ame]

    The nine other parts are also available on YouTube, let's just hope you are able to figure out how to view them all

  3. #263
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Oh, so the fact that you don't think he's a bad guy means that he should be able to forcibly rape children and flee the country with impunity. Great point!



    No, it's not "virtually unheard of." It happens with regularity where the judge feels that the plea bargain is inappropriate. Furthermore, even if it were absolutely absurd, that doesn't excuse the fact that he fled the country. If you don't like something, you fight it in court. You don't get to flee.
    Right you are wrong.

    It is virtually unheard of. People are mistaking the judges actions here with a judges actions in refusing to go along with a plea bargain. They are completely different scenarios.

    It happens with some degree of regularity that a Da/Defense will discuss a plea bargain and the judge will refuse to accept it. This usually happens where the defendant has a long rap sheet or additional information becomes known that makes the judge uncomfortable. That is NOT what happened here.

    What happened here is that the DA/Defense entered into a deal for a 90 day diagnostic. In that type of plea bargain, both side agree to have the defendant go to state prison for 90 days. The diagnostic team then makes a decision whether the defendant is appropriate for probation or whether state prison is the appropriate sanction.
    The Judge AGREED to this plea bargain. Polanski went for the diagnostic. The psychiatric diagnostic team came back and said he was appropriate for probation. It was at THIS point that the Judge said he wasn't going to follow the diagnostic.

    Can you now see the difference between the two scenarios?

    Let me break it down more:

    Scenario #1: DA and Defense review the facts and decide 5 year state prison is the sentence. They tell Judge. Judge says no. This defendant has been in and out of prison and the crime here is too severe. I'm not accepting that plea. I won't accept a deal for less than ten years.

    Scenario #2: DA and Defense review the facts and decide 5 years state prison is the sentence. They tell Judge. Judge says fine I'll accept that. Defendant pleads. Judge says....you know what....I've changed my mind, I don't think 5 years is an appropriate sentence. I'm sentencing you to 20 years.

    This case is more like #2 than #1. #1 does happen with some regularity but is still not very common. #2 is unprecedented.

    The Judge had agreed with the plea bargain. It wasn't until the Judge didn't like the outcome that he reneged on the deal.
    Last edited by disneydude; 10-02-09 at 09:41 AM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #264
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Am watching those videos now. I just thought that I should note that so far it's been quite biased. It has done it's best to show Polanski as a victim. While showing the judge as a womanizer and a scoundrel just because he liked to take on celebrity cases..even mentioning some type of scrapbook the judge kept like some kid of trophy.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #265
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Well made it through the part 4. And thats about as much as I can stomach. From what I can tell it is just about trying to make Polanski look good and the Judge look bad.

    Facts are that he raped a 14 yr old girl. Gave what is considered a date rape drug to a 14 yr old girl. He confessed to it. He should be in jail for it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #266
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Let me break it down more:

    Scenario #1: DA and Defense review the facts and decide 5 year state prison is the sentence. They tell Judge. Judge says no. This defendant has been in and out of prison and the crime here is too severe. I'm not accepting that plea. I won't accept a deal for less than ten years.

    Scenario #2: DA and Defense review the facts and decide 5 years state prison is the sentence. They tell Judge. Judge says fine I'll accept that. Defendant pleads. Judge says....you know what....I've changed my mind, I don't think 5 years is an appropriate sentence. I'm sentencing you to 20 years.

    This case is more like #2 than #1. #1 does happen with some regularity but is still not very common. #2 is unprecedented.

    The Judge had agreed with the plea bargain. It wasn't until the Judge didn't like the outcome that he reneged on the deal.
    How do you know he reneged on the deal? Polanski ran away before the sentencing trial.

    All that happened is the judge suggested that Polanski should get more time to Polanski's lawyer. Suggesting and actually doing are two different things. We will never know weather or not the judge was going to keep to the plea bargain or not...because Polanski ran away before the sentencing trial.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #267
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    That is correct; it was a conversation, not an actual act, and it was with Polanski's attorneys, not some shady deal with the DA.

    They were competent attorneys. Even if it went down that Polanski got more of a sentence than the original deal, they had the whole appeals process to work through.

    It still baffles me that some people want to make Polanksi out to be the victim here. It's simply astounding.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #268
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It still baffles me that some people want to make Polanksi out to be the victim here. It's simply astounding.
    Those who voted 'No' are excusing pedophilia in my eyes.

    He can be as rich, cultured or famous as he wants but that will never excuse the fact the dirty bastard had sex with a 13 year old girl.

    Maybe if the coward didn't run for it. He would have been out of jail by now.
    Last edited by Laila; 10-02-09 at 11:09 AM.


  9. #269
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    How do you know he reneged on the deal? Polanski ran away before the sentencing trial.

    All that happened is the judge suggested that Polanski should get more time to Polanski's lawyer. Suggesting and actually doing are two different things. We will never know weather or not the judge was going to keep to the plea bargain or not...because Polanski ran away before the sentencing trial.
    1/2 accurate, 1/2 not. True. Polanski fled and so we will never know for certain. However, the Judge did more than "suggest". He flat out told the DA and the defense attorney that he did not intend to follow the diagnostic finding and indicated that he believed a lengthy prison sentence was in order.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #270
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That is correct; it was a conversation, not an actual act, and it was with Polanski's attorneys, not some shady deal with the DA.

    They were competent attorneys. Even if it went down that Polanski got more of a sentence than the original deal, they had the whole appeals process to work through.

    It still baffles me that some people want to make Polanksi out to be the victim here. It's simply astounding.
    There is no appeals process. What are you talking about. You can't appeal a plea even where the judge reneges.

    No one is making Polanski the victim. I don't condone what he may have done and he should be sentenced according to the original plea agreement before the judge reneged.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •