View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #201
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    google Polanski and read the press releases and it is in many of them. you can be as anal about this as you like. i have yet to insult any of you. i have been attacked and insulted and apparently the mods do nothing because i don't have 7000 posts yet.

    i am just the whipping person here because you people just don't get it. you defended Bush you defend your courts. in your eyes America can do no wrong. well they can they do and they did and in this they are wrong and the courts have done more damage to this woman than a gang rape and you nor anyone on your side of the fence give a **** about her. you just care that this beast is behind bars. maybe if your courts and police hadn't dropped the ball as you do in so many areas we would not be debating this now.
    You hate the American justice system. We get it.

    Polanski's lawyers at the time should have (and most probably did if they're worth anything) made it clear that a plea bargain is not set in stone until the actual hearing when the judge makes his final ruling and sentencing. The judge, right or wrong, changed his mind. Polanski's back up plan in case of such an eventuality was obviously to flea and become a fugitive. Great plan, unless you get stupid and careless. He got stupid and careless.

    Choice -------> Consequence

    Personally, I think that the matter should have been dropped long ago. If he ever voluntarily set foot on US soil, then, yes, by all means, grab the repulsive individual and deal with him through the US courts. But this whole international man-hunt over a 30 year old questionable statutory rape case was just not necessary.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    you may want to read all of the court documents and the reporting that was done on just how the courts railroaded Polanski into that confession.
    Unlike you I have read the Court papers his Lawyer at the timke told him to plead guilty because they had him dead to right .

    Have you read the Grand Jury transcript it is posted either in this thread or the other one in BN section. If it actaully had gone to trail he would have been thrown in Jail for Life, his Lawyer told him and he accepted to plead guilty. What ****ing part of that don't you understand huh.

  3. #203
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Apparently, you don't actually know how the court system works, then.

    If the plea was contingent on a deal that the judge then rejects, the plea is thrown out and there's a trial.

    If you're going to get all righteous about a court system being "fair," then maybe you should actually find out how it works.
    Before you criticize someone for not knowing how the court works.....you might to find out for yourself because apparently it is YOU who is wrong.

    The plea agreement for for probation and what they call a "90 day diagnostic". This is a psychiatric review in which a psychiatrist evaluates the person over 90 days and then renders an opinion on whether probation is appropriate or whether it should be state prison.

    The report recommended state prison. The judge (who had already accepted the 90 day diagnostic plea bargain) changed his mind and said that he wasn't going to uphold his end of the bargain and follow the recommendation of the report. This is VERY different than a judge refusing to accept a plea bargain worked out between the DA and the defense because the Judge had already accepted this plea agreement. He reneged on his end of the bargain.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #204
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Unlike you I have read the Court papers his Lawyer at the timke told him to plead guilty because they had him dead to right .

    Have you read the Grand Jury transcript it is posted either in this thread or the other one in BN section. If it actaully had gone to trail he would have been thrown in Jail for Life, his Lawyer told him and he accepted to plead guilty. What ****ing part of that don't you understand huh.
    However, most of what is in the Grand Jury Transcript has been recanted. And even before that the DA indicated that there were problems with the credbility of the witnesses and other problems in proof as other witnesses came forward. There were substantial inconsistencies in the story of the mother and the girl, which were substantiated by the subsequent recanting of the story. The DA knew they had a weak case. This is why they settled the case.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #205
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    05-01-12 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    962

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    However, most of what is in the Grand Jury Transcript has been recanted. And even before that the DA indicated that there were problems with the credbility of the witnesses and other problems in proof as other witnesses came forward. There were substantial inconsistencies in the story of the mother and the girl, which were substantiated by the subsequent recanting of the story. The DA knew they had a weak case. This is why they settled the case.
    But they settled. If the case was that weak, then Polanski could have forced the trial knowing he was going to walk. Instead, he not only broke the law by having sex with a 13-year-old, he broke the law again by fleeing the country.

  6. #206
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Before you criticize someone for not knowing how the court works.....you might to find out for yourself because apparently it is YOU who is wrong.

    The plea agreement for for probation and what they call a "90 day diagnostic". This is a psychiatric review in which a psychiatrist evaluates the person over 90 days and then renders an opinion on whether probation is appropriate or whether it should be state prison.

    The report recommended state prison. The judge (who had already accepted the 90 day diagnostic plea bargain) changed his mind and said that he wasn't going to uphold his end of the bargain and follow the recommendation of the report. This is VERY different than a judge refusing to accept a plea bargain worked out between the DA and the defense because the Judge had already accepted this plea agreement. He reneged on his end of the bargain.
    Even if that's true, the guilty plea is still contingent on the judge accepting the deal, and he doesn't "get" Polanski without a trial. The defense attorneys would have a slam dunk there.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps the reason for the discrepancy was that there was a lot of things unknown regarding the case and likely difficult for the prosecution to get a conviction. What is clear is that this is not the case of a pedophile picking up a 13 year old and raping them. This case involved the girl and her mother essentially attempting to get a break in Hollywood through sexual favors. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it a different type of case. It is also unclear whether Polanski actually knew the girl was underage. Most accounts indicate that the girl looked and carried herself as substantially older.
    People should read the testimony of the victim in this case if they doubt Polanski's guilt.

    The Smoking Gun: Archive

    The teenager's troubling--and contemporaneous--account of her abuse at Polanski's hands begins with her posing twice for topless photos that the director said were for French Vogue. The girl then told prosecutors how Polanski directed her to, "Take off your underwear" and enter the Jacuzzi, where he photographed her naked. Soon, the director, who was then 43, joined her in the hot tub. He also wasn't wearing any clothes and, according to Gailey's testimony, wrapped his hands around the child's waist.

    The girl testified that she left the Jacuzzi and entered a bedroom in Nicholson's home, where Polanski sat down beside her and kissed the teen, despite her demands that he "keep away." According to Gailey, Polanski then performed a sex act on her and later "started to have intercourse with me." At one point, according to Gailey's testimony, Polanski asked the 13-year-old if she was "on the pill," and "When did you last have your period?" Polanski then asked her, Gailey recalled, "Would you want me to go in through your back?" before he "put his penis in my butt." Asked why she did not more forcefully resist Polanski, the teenager told Deputy D.A. Roger Gunson, "Because I was afraid of him."
    Rape is rape, and the victim was a 13-year-old girl. I don't care how brilliant he is, he should die in prison.

    What if this was your daughter?

  8. #208
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    What if this was your daughter?
    I wouldn't have left her alone with a 40 year old man, for starters.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #209
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So it's only conservatives who are opposed to rape? I think there are plenty of liberals who would find that incredibly offensive.



    This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Congratulations, nothing you say will ever be taken seriously.



    Because he paid some very good and very expensive lawyers to do their jobs.



    Not really. It happens quite frequently in cases where the agreed upon penalty is wildly disproportionate to the crime, as it was in this case.

    It really comes down to this - what do you think is an adequate punishment for the forcible rape of a 13 year old? If you think 42 days is fair, then I don't know what to say to you.



    Uh, what? Where are you getting this?



    lol, no, not even close. Hell, I worked on a case this summer where a judge rejected a plea - it's not even remotely "unprecedented." You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.



    You also don't understand the role of the courts.
    it seems your courts are accustomed to bribes if there are deals made. i guess if legal bribery works for you than the courts in your eyes may be excellent.

    your court system stinks. your judges are no more than con men. when you look at the prisons in your country you see just who the people do not like.

    that is how it is in America even in justice. Polanski may well have done what he was accused of. that was never proven in a trial. but it seems as if the US doesn't like to do it the correct way. there was no trial. there was a deal and the conman judge went against it. i would run from your courts as well. they seem no more than a pick and choose system of who goes and who doesn't.

    now i know why your asinine court room TV shows have such high ratings. because American justice is a joke.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  10. #210
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    They make deals for the simple reason of expediancy. (though that is not the sole reason at times) It frees up court time to deal with those that try to fight the system because either they are really innocent (in which case they aren't exactly fighting the system...just getting their due process) or because the criminal thinks that they can get away with commiting their crime due to a technicality. Which does happen.

    It also saves money.

    After all if a person is willing to confess to a lesser charge why not accept that then have to go through the long, legal, expensive process of setting up three different court dates and proving the suspect innocent/guilty?

    In case you don't know the three different court dates are as follows.

    First court date is so the suspect can plead guilty or not guilty. If they plead guilty then they are remanded into custody until a sentencing court date can be made. If they plead not guilty it goes to the second process.

    Second court date is the actual trial. A trial can last just one day or as long as months. (take a gander at OJ Simpson's murder trial for an example of how long a trial can be made to last)

    Third court date is the sentencing of someone that pleads guilty or was found guilty of a crime during their trial.

    Making a deal skips two whole court dates.
    Pleading guilty at the first hearing skips one court date.
    Being found innocent skips one court date.
    Being found guilty makes you go through all three court dates.

    As far as Polanski goes on why he was offered a deal I have no idea. There could be any number of reasons. Including the above reason.
    they makes deal to line their pockets with silver. a court is not let's make a deal. it is justice. give me a break. that is so full of **** it even stinks online.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •