View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #191
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    I would say that you did. you were the top offender. you may want to read back through your posts and see for yourself. i reported it but you have 8000+ posts to my few hundred so nothing will be done.
    If you can show me where I insulted you, I will apologize. I suspect you simply read into my comments though.

  2. #192
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Funny...as far as I can tell no one has insulted you on purpose yet. If you take something as offensive then that is your problem. And in case you hadn't noticed but I sure as heck don't have 7k posts on this site either. The mods here are pretty fair from what I have seen.

    As far as Bush goes yes I defended him when I saw it as necessary. But I also decried him when it was necessary. I consider Bush to be the biggest idiot that we've had for a President yet.

    As far as the victim in this case goes you're somewhat right, I don't care about her. I do not know her so why would I care about her? However I do care in that what was done to her by Polanski was wrong. I also care about other possible victims of criminals that would get away because a precedent was set to just let someone go just because they evaded the law long enough.

    BTW I had already googled Polanski and read up on him when I started reading and responding to this thread. I do my homework before talking about something that I initially have no idea about. You should do the same in regards to how our court and law system works if you are going to continue disparaging a system that you obviously have no clue about.

    As for how bad our law system is I do agree that it is not the best in the world. But it certainly isn't the worst in the world either.
    the first question that does come to mind is why do your courts make deals with people they suspect of horrible crimes. if Polanski was so awful why do you even offer him a deal? is it court or is your system a TV show?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  3. #193
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    so continue to punish her. this issue was 30 years ago. why bring it into her life again. he has not been in the US and there has been no repeat. he is 76 years old for Christ's sake. if the woman had not asked for this to be dropped than maybe you have a point. she has. done deal in my mind. no charges, no crime, no criminal, no time to be served.
    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    so now the justice (if justice at all) is hurting the woman and this is a good thing in your mind? why?
    she is all grown up and can deal with it better than if she was still a child.
    time to grow up.

    The judge from what i have seen did nothing wrong, but I only got this deep in the 20 pages so far.

    I look forward to hearing about the old farts colon falling out after being gang raped in prison

    and i do not give a **** that the 13 year old may have agreed, wanted it, was a willing participant or anything else

    She was 13 = RAPE

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  4. #194
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    True...but it is extremely rare for a judge not to approve the plea bargain. That happens once in a blue moon.

    In this case, the Judge indicated that he wanted a lengthy prison sentence. The problem with judges doing this is, Judges don't have the facts of the case. They don't have the police reports or the witness interviews. All they have are the charges and any rap sheet.
    For a judge to take a sentence that was agreed to and change it so drastically is not only extremely rare...it is unprecedented. The judge was obviously responding to political pressures and should have let the DA and the Defense who understood the weaknesses in the DA's case work out the deal.
    I am sorry, but I do not see where you make the case that what the judge did was illegal or not allowed. As far as this L&O:CI guy knows, A judge does not have to accept the plea. And last time I was in court (misdemeanor) my attorney informed me that just because we arranged a deal with a plea, does not mean the judge can not impose a harsher sentence than agreed to

    if it is allowed, Polanski owes us that sentence

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  5. #195
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I get a kick out of your abuse of the term "partisan" and continued avoidance of facts and questions addressed to you.

    By the way, do you even comprehend the term "partisan"? Or do you just find it convenient to abuse the term in a desperate effort to avoid substance?

    Nothing I have stated on this thread is "partisan" unless in your desperation to avoid my question about who you voted for is now considered to be "partisan." In fact, my question is more related to your "state of mind" than it is some farcical notions about what you perceive as "partisan."

    The irony of bringing Dragondad into this conversation is also lost on you, however, if you continue to remain confused about what would be a fine example of rabid hyper partisanship, dragondad defines the term; fascinating that your selective outrage is merely directed towards me and you would reference him here.

    Main Entry: partisan !p@r-tu-zun!p@r-tu-un
    Pronunciation: \ ˈpär-tə-zən, -sən, -ˌzan, chiefly British ˌpär-tə-ˈzan \
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French partisan, from north Italian dial. partiźan, from part part, party, from Latin part-, pars part
    Date: 1555
    Results

    1. 1a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person especially one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance
    That definition sums you up quite nicely. Especially your desire to bash "Liberals" or Obama in every thread you enter.

    Now back to my question; did you vote for Obama; yes or no?
    No. Notice that I'm a Libertarian, not a Democrat. Libertarian =/= Liberal.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #196
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    i am just the whipping person here because you people just don't get it. you defended Bush you defend your courts. in your eyes America can do no wrong.
    So it's only conservatives who are opposed to rape? I think there are plenty of liberals who would find that incredibly offensive.

    well they can they do and they did and in this they are wrong and the courts have done more damage to this woman than a gang rape
    This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Congratulations, nothing you say will ever be taken seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    the first question that does come to mind is why do your courts make deals with people they suspect of horrible crimes. if Polanski was so awful why do you even offer him a deal? is it court or is your system a TV show?
    Because he paid some very good and very expensive lawyers to do their jobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad
    True...but it is extremely rare for a judge not to approve the plea bargain. That happens once in a blue moon.
    Not really. It happens quite frequently in cases where the agreed upon penalty is wildly disproportionate to the crime, as it was in this case.

    It really comes down to this - what do you think is an adequate punishment for the forcible rape of a 13 year old? If you think 42 days is fair, then I don't know what to say to you.

    In this case, the Judge indicated that he wanted a lengthy prison sentence. The problem with judges doing this is, Judges don't have the facts of the case. They don't have the police reports or the witness interviews. All they have are the charges and any rap sheet.
    Uh, what? Where are you getting this?

    For a judge to take a sentence that was agreed to and change it so drastically is not only extremely rare...it is unprecedented.
    lol, no, not even close. Hell, I worked on a case this summer where a judge rejected a plea - it's not even remotely "unprecedented." You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

    The judge was obviously responding to political pressures and should have let the DA and the Defense who understood the weaknesses in the DA's case work out the deal.
    You also don't understand the role of the courts.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #197
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    the first question that does come to mind is why do your courts make deals with people they suspect of horrible crimes. if Polanski was so awful why do you even offer him a deal? is it court or is your system a TV show?
    They make deals for the simple reason of expediancy. (though that is not the sole reason at times) It frees up court time to deal with those that try to fight the system because either they are really innocent (in which case they aren't exactly fighting the system...just getting their due process) or because the criminal thinks that they can get away with commiting their crime due to a technicality. Which does happen.

    It also saves money.

    After all if a person is willing to confess to a lesser charge why not accept that then have to go through the long, legal, expensive process of setting up three different court dates and proving the suspect innocent/guilty?

    In case you don't know the three different court dates are as follows.

    First court date is so the suspect can plead guilty or not guilty. If they plead guilty then they are remanded into custody until a sentencing court date can be made. If they plead not guilty it goes to the second process.

    Second court date is the actual trial. A trial can last just one day or as long as months. (take a gander at OJ Simpson's murder trial for an example of how long a trial can be made to last)

    Third court date is the sentencing of someone that pleads guilty or was found guilty of a crime during their trial.

    Making a deal skips two whole court dates.
    Pleading guilty at the first hearing skips one court date.
    Being found innocent skips one court date.
    Being found guilty makes you go through all three court dates.

    As far as Polanski goes on why he was offered a deal I have no idea. There could be any number of reasons. Including the above reason.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #198
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    From what I understood it wasn't even about testifying. She just wanted it to be over with so she could continue to move on from it. I was actually surprised that Switzerland detained him. I always thought they stayed out of these types of affairs.
    What makes you say that? Our political neutrality on the world stage does not in any way mean that we don't strictly follow international criminal laws. We honor our agreements and bilateral treaties to the letter.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #199
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    What makes you say that? Our political neutrality on the world stage does not in any way mean that we don't strictly follow international criminal laws. We honor our agreements and bilateral treaties to the letter.
    rendition comes to mind

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    rendition comes to mind
    I'm not sure I follow.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •