View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #181
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I don't understand the focus on the "effect" on the victim. Nothing I've seen indicates that she would have to testify or be involved at all.

    We can completely ignore the actual rape and the penalties that would have resulted from that and instead remember that the guy fled the country to avoid serving a sentence. He should be extradited, prosecuted, and convicted for that alone.
    From what I understood it wasn't even about testifying. She just wanted it to be over with so she could continue to move on from it. I was actually surprised that Switzerland detained him. I always thought they stayed out of these types of affairs.

  2. #182
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,894
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    I just don't understand why some people keep saying "a crime he might not have done" (or some such).

    1: The guy is rich. Which means he could afford damn good lawyers. Ones that would have used every trick in the book to get him off the hook. (hey! that rhymes!)

    2: If he hadn't really commited rape then he would not have accepted a plea bargain. No matter what. For the simple fact that there would have been NO evidence that it was true.

    3: He did accept a plea bargain and confessed to the crime. No innocent person would do that. Especially a rich person for the simple fact that their reputations mean everything to them.

    It also does not matter weather the judge changed his mind about accepting the plea bargain or not. That is his perogative as a judge. Fact is that Polanski ran away to avoid being sentenced. Even though he was guilty, by his own words.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #183
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I've noted that Time magazine claims this is an issue that separates those of us on either side of the pond - however I'd point out several famous celebrities in the UK who were eventually found out for their abuse of children - Gary Glitter and Jonathon King for starters.
    I think it's more an issue that separates the entire Anglosphere from continental Europe, rather than an issue that separates Americans from Europeans.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #184
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And just who said that the judge said yes to the deal? Let me guess you got that from the documentary film "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired"? Was the judge on that documentary?

    From the way that I understand it the judge had "suggested" to his lawyers (Polanski's lawyers) that he should do more time. This does not mean that the judge was going to give him more time or wasn't going to hold up the deal. A point of fact that we will never know what would have actually happened had Polanski gone to the sentencing trial. We will never know because he didn't go. Instead he ran. He ran based on what? An opinion? Because until Polanski had been sentenced that's all that it was. An opinion.

    You say that the judge in question was corrupt and wasn't going to keep his word. Yet you do not know weather he wasn't going to hold up to the deal or if he was going to keep to it. You do know that people can do things despite their personal opinion right?

    For example: I personally hate the very thought of killing someone. Yet I would if it meant protecting my family.

    And I'm sure that judges do this more than anyone else.
    google Polanski and read the press releases and it is in many of them. you can be as anal about this as you like. i have yet to insult any of you. i have been attacked and insulted and apparently the mods do nothing because i don't have 7000 posts yet.

    i am just the whipping person here because you people just don't get it. you defended Bush you defend your courts. in your eyes America can do no wrong. well they can they do and they did and in this they are wrong and the courts have done more damage to this woman than a gang rape and you nor anyone on your side of the fence give a **** about her. you just care that this beast is behind bars. maybe if your courts and police hadn't dropped the ball as you do in so many areas we would not be debating this now.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    google Polanski and read the press releases and it is in many of them. you can be as anal about this as you like. i have yet to insult any of you. i have been attacked and insulted and apparently the mods do nothing because i don't have 7000 posts yet.

    i am just the whipping person here because you people just don't get it. you defended Bush you defend your courts. in your eyes America can do no wrong. well they can they do and they did and in this they are wrong and the courts have done more damage to this woman than a gang rape and you nor anyone on your side of the fence give a **** about her. you just care that this beast is behind bars. maybe if your courts and police hadn't dropped the ball as you do in so many areas we would not be debating this now.
    Whoo hold the **** on Missy, First off bring in Mr. W Bush into this discussion it's a Strawman and has nothing to do with said subject.

    It's you who don't get it look the Scum pleade guilty and then skip the Country, what part of Calf. Penal Law don't you understand the Judge doesn't have to take the plead bargin that the DA and the Scum Lawyer came up with. The Judge has finally saying on sentancing after someone pleads guilty he/she can take the advice of the DA into consideration and 8 times out of 10 they will go with what the Plead Bargin/Deal is. Scum wasn't the first nor will he be the last that a judge didn't go with the DA Deal.

    As far as the Girl that is the center of this case it really doesn't matter whaty she thinks because here in the USA there is no Statue of limitaion on Statury Rape and beside that is not what he was arrest for he was arrested for Fugitive from the Law Warrent that not only the AG of the United States Filed but Interpol also filed one.

    Oh and neither the police nor the Courts drop the ball on this one the only thing I see that was dropped was this scum getting his passport back.

    As for you being personally attack not even close so please drop the woho is me thing it's not very lady like of you. Beside I thought you were a Feminist that is what you have come across in many of your post so whay in the hell are you sticking up for this Scum of Humanity. Oh and most of his movie suck also.
    Last edited by Scorpion89; 09-30-09 at 08:22 PM.

  6. #186
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    google Polanski and read the press releases and it is in many of them. you can be as anal about this as you like. i have yet to insult any of you. i have been attacked and insulted and apparently the mods do nothing because i don't have 7000 posts yet.

    i am just the whipping person here because you people just don't get it. you defended Bush you defend your courts. in your eyes America can do no wrong. well they can they do and they did and in this they are wrong and the courts have done more damage to this woman than a gang rape and you nor anyone on your side of the fence give a **** about her. you just care that this beast is behind bars. maybe if your courts and police hadn't dropped the ball as you do in so many areas we would not be debating this now.
    I don't think any one has insulted you yet, but with this post, that will probably change. There are some people very unhappy with Bush who disagree with you on this. There have been people critical of how the court handled this who disagree with you on this issue.

    The gang rape comment in your post was just vile, offensive, and inaccurate. You should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to make it. This woman is not a victim of the courts, she is a victim of Roman Polanski, who you chose to defend.

  7. #187
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    no the judge had agreed to the deal that is the catch. once the deal was made the judge said no and he got Polanski without a trial and the lying judge was going to fry him these deals in your court system are bull****.
    Apparently, you don't actually know how the court system works, then.

    If the plea was contingent on a deal that the judge then rejects, the plea is thrown out and there's a trial.

    If you're going to get all righteous about a court system being "fair," then maybe you should actually find out how it works.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #188
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,894
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    google Polanski and read the press releases and it is in many of them. you can be as anal about this as you like. i have yet to insult any of you. i have been attacked and insulted and apparently the mods do nothing because i don't have 7000 posts yet.

    i am just the whipping person here because you people just don't get it. you defended Bush you defend your courts. in your eyes America can do no wrong. well they can they do and they did and in this they are wrong and the courts have done more damage to this woman than a gang rape and you nor anyone on your side of the fence give a **** about her. you just care that this beast is behind bars. maybe if your courts and police hadn't dropped the ball as you do in so many areas we would not be debating this now.
    Funny...as far as I can tell no one has insulted you on purpose yet. If you take something as offensive then that is your problem. And in case you hadn't noticed but I sure as heck don't have 7k posts on this site either. The mods here are pretty fair from what I have seen.

    As far as Bush goes yes I defended him when I saw it as necessary. But I also decried him when it was necessary. I consider Bush to be the biggest idiot that we've had for a President yet.

    As far as the victim in this case goes you're somewhat right, I don't care about her. I do not know her so why would I care about her? However I do care in that what was done to her by Polanski was wrong. I also care about other possible victims of criminals that would get away because a precedent was set to just let someone go just because they evaded the law long enough.

    BTW I had already googled Polanski and read up on him when I started reading and responding to this thread. I do my homework before talking about something that I initially have no idea about. You should do the same in regards to how our court and law system works if you are going to continue disparaging a system that you obviously have no clue about.

    As for how bad our law system is I do agree that it is not the best in the world. But it certainly isn't the worst in the world either.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #189
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I don't think any one has insulted you yet, but with this post, that will probably change. There are some people very unhappy with Bush who disagree with you on this. There have been people critical of how the court handled this who disagree with you on this issue.

    The gang rape comment in your post was just vile, offensive, and inaccurate. You should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to make it. This woman is not a victim of the courts, she is a victim of Roman Polanski, who you chose to defend.
    I would say that you did. you were the top offender. you may want to read back through your posts and see for yourself. i reported it but you have 8000+ posts to my few hundred so nothing will be done.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  10. #190
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Whoo hold the **** on Missy, First off bring in Mr. W Bush into this discussion it's a Strawman and has nothing to do with said subject.

    It's you who don't get it look the Scum pleade guilty and then skip the Country, what part of Calf. Penal Law don't you understand the Judge doesn't have to take the plead bargin that the DA and the Scum Lawyer came up with. The Judge has finally saying on sentancing after someone pleads guilty he/she can take the advice of the DA into consideration and 8 times out of 10 they will go with what the Plead Bargin/Deal is. Scum wasn't the first nor will he be the last that a judge didn't go with the DA Deal.

    As far as the Girl that is the center of this case it really doesn't matter whaty she thinks because here in the USA there is no Statue of limitaion on Statury Rape and beside that is not what he was arrest for he was arrested for Fugitive from the Law Warrent that not only the AG of the United States Filed but Interpol also filed one.

    Oh and neither the police nor the Courts drop the ball on this one the only thing I see that was dropped was this scum getting his passport back.

    As for you being personally attack not even close so please drop the woho is me thing it's not very lady like of you. Beside I thought you were a Feminist that is what you have come across in many of your post so whay in the hell are you sticking up for this Scum of Humanity. Oh and most of his movie suck also.
    you may want to read all of the court documents and the reporting that was done on just how the courts railroaded Polanski into that confession.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •