View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #171
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Or we could say that people who wish Polanski to be punished for a crime he possibly did not commit, since nobody here knows the details of this case, are just repressed child molester?
    That is what trials are for, to determine guilt or innocence.

  2. #172
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Roman Polanski should be raped by a very very old man.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I get a kick out of you lambasting people like Dragondad. The concept of irony seems lost on you. Everything's a partisan issue, even the extradition of creepy old sexual offenders. What a sad world you must live in.
    I get a kick out of your abuse of the term "partisan" and continued avoidance of facts and questions addressed to you.

    By the way, do you even comprehend the term "partisan"? Or do you just find it convenient to abuse the term in a desperate effort to avoid substance?

    Nothing I have stated on this thread is "partisan" unless in your desperation to avoid my question about who you voted for is now considered to be "partisan." In fact, my question is more related to your "state of mind" than it is some farcical notions about what you perceive as "partisan."

    The irony of bringing Dragondad into this conversation is also lost on you, however, if you continue to remain confused about what would be a fine example of rabid hyper partisanship, dragondad defines the term; fascinating that your selective outrage is merely directed towards me and you would reference him here.

    Main Entry: partisan !p@r-tu-zun!p@r-tu-un
    Pronunciation: \ ˈpär-tə-zən, -sən, -ˌzan, chiefly British ˌpär-tə-ˈzan \
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French partisan, from north Italian dial. partiźan, from part part, party, from Latin part-, pars part
    Date: 1555
    Results

    1. 1a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person especially one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance


    Now back to my question; did you vote for Obama; yes or no?

  4. #174
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Or we could say that people who wish Polanski to be punished for a crime he possibly did not commit, since nobody here knows the details of this case, are just repressed child molester?
    He did the act, and admitted to it. He plead guilty to sex with a minor and then fled the country to avoid consequences thereof. He would have been a lot better off having done this back in the 70's when penalties weren't as bad. We'll see what he's sentenced to now.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #175
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    So let me understand your convoluted logic here: Polanski was justified fleeing our justice system because even thought he was filthy rich, could afford the best lawyers and felt that even with that level of representation, they still were too incompetent to keep him from serving time and therefore, being innocent and such and given the “illegal” actions of the Judge, he had no choice but to flee this despotic nation and its attempts to illegally punish him for something so mundane as having “consensual” sex with a 13 year old.

    Does this summarize your argument?

    The fascinating part of this level of denial and spin is the assertion that the Judge acted improperly and as such, Polanski being the rich over-represented person that he is, had no other legal recourse but to flee justice.

    No...it doesn't summarize it at all. Typical of most of your posts, deflector, it mischaracterizes and distorts.

    Nowhere did I say that Polanski was "justified" (once again your mischaracterizations and distortion)

    Nowhere did I say that the actions of the judge were "illegal" (once again your mischaracterizations and distortion)

    Nowhere did I say that having sex with a minor is "mundane" (Once again your mischaracterizations and distortion).


    However, as typical of many debates, several people have the facts wrong. If this were a case about a pedaphile who lured a 13 year old into his house raped her and then fled to avoid punishment, they might have a point. That, however is a mischaracterization of the facts.

    I am not condoning Polanski's underlying actions or his fleeing the country. However, one cannot pick and choose what parts of the circumstances you want to support your arguments and fail to address the others.

    The bottom line is that the DA did not find the story of the girl and her mother credible. Rightfully so, because she later recanted major parts of it.
    The DA understood the lack of credibility as well as other weaknesses in their case which is why the case settled for what it did.

    The actions of the judge failed to take into account the weakness of the DA's case. Responding to personal vendetta or political pressure or whatever, the judge took the plea and then reneged on the deal. Yes...a judge can refuse to take a deal, however, usually where this is done it is because of a person's rap sheet or because of additional information that the judge becomes aware of. A judge does not have the same information that the DA/Defense have regarding the facts of the case.

    I hate to say it, but if I were Polanski, I would have fled as well.

    That said...I have never said that Polanski should not be punished. He should be punished in accord with the original deal. As I stated before there are two interests which a criminal penalty are intended to serve....rehabilitation and retribution. The fact that Polanski has gone 30 years crime free would support a belief that rehabilitation has already been served. What about retribution. The original plea was for a time served sentence. The plea was based on the strength of the case and information known to the DA. Why should retribution carry a higher price than that which justice demands?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #176
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    09-10-10 @ 02:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The fact that Polanski has gone 30 years crime free would support a belief that rehabilitation has already been served. What about retribution. The original plea was for a time served sentence. The plea was based on the strength of the case and information known to the DA. Why should retribution carry a higher price than that which justice demands?
    How do you know he has gone crime free? Because he hasn't been caught?
    mom of four boys
    married to a soldier

  7. #177
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This is very funny; she doesn't need to testify. The case is done and he was already sentenced.

    The ONLY thing that remains is a hearing on his new crime of fleeing justice and how much additional time will be tacked onto his original sentence.



    I find it amusing watching those who defend such immoral and illegal conduct now try to spin this as an effort to hurt the innocent; you voted for Obama didn't you?
    Just out of curiosity; what does supporting Roman Polanski have to do with voting for Obama?

  8. #178
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    How do you know he has gone crime free? Because he hasn't been caught?
    That's usually a pretty good indication.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #179
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Just out of curiosity; what does supporting Roman Polanski have to do with voting for Obama?
    nothing except for hyperpartisanism
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #180
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    I don't understand the focus on the "effect" on the victim. Nothing I've seen indicates that she would have to testify or be involved at all.

    We can completely ignore the actual rape and the penalties that would have resulted from that and instead remember that the guy fled the country to avoid serving a sentence. He should be extradited, prosecuted, and convicted for that alone.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •