View Poll Results: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    126 74.56%
  • No

    22 13.02%
  • Other

    21 12.43%
Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 490

Thread: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    i am not your courts are corrupt and filled with lying and cheating judges that screwed Polanski. THE JUDGE SAID YES TO THE DEAL. what is it that you do not understand about that.
    Wrong very Wrong you need to learn something about Calf. Court System I suggest you might want to start with the 10th Adm. after that you might want to read up on the case.

    The Judge can set aside his/her decission any ****ing time they please if they feel it's in the best judgement of Justice.

    Question why are you defending this Scum huh, come from it's quite funny and sad considering I know Del would have want this Scum fried.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    No
    Lets show some intelligence here. This man is 72; the "victim" wishes for no punishment, as I have read; so, I see no gain.
    Its silly to waste the money.. and for what ?
    Justice?
    In real life, how often do we have this ?
    Revenge ?
    Yeah - that works every time.....down thru the ages.....
    Anyway, Polanski's claim to fame will be as a child molester, much as Barry Bonds will be noted as a cheater.
    Note the general difference between cons and libs.
    Not so much. It's not about the case anymore. He plead guilty. He ran from the US government when he was supposed to be sentenced. It's finishing off the procedures. Sorry. He ran to France because he knew they wouldn't extradite him. He basically gave the big middle finger to our government, and we all know it doesn't take too kindly to that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #153
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    I do find it fascinating what kind of defenders Polanski has. Many seem to think that his status as an "artist" should somehow be taken into account.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #154
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    i will report that as that is directed at me. so thank you. the insinuation is that since i see your courts as unfair i am those. for this post on almost any forum you would be banned and you should be. i will know the type of board this is by their action.
    You are reading into it. I am saying that the people most likely to have trouble with the legal system are criminals, like Polanski(not you). Easy way to go through life with a very tiny, remote chance of not having trouble with the legal system...don't be a criminal. I have zero sympathy for a child molester who thinks the system is unfair to him.

  5. #155
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I do find it fascinating what kind of defenders Polanski has. Many seem to think that his status as an "artist" should somehow be taken into account.
    I am not seeing your "many". I see a very small "few".

  6. #156
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not seeing your "many". I see a very small "few".
    That's "many" of his defenders, not "many defenders."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #157
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's "many" of his defenders, not "many defenders."
    Gotcha. My bad.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps you might want to get the facts straight before you render an opinion on this matter:

    First of all, Polanski entered into a plea agreement with the District Attorney which the judge reneged on. It is extremely rare for a judge to interpose themselves in matters such as this. The Judge does not have the same breadth of information regarding the case that the defense and the prosecutor have. Had the judge not reneged, Polanski would have received a "time served" offer. The judge wanted him to serve multiple years in prison.

    Perhaps the reason for the discrepancy was that there was a lot of things unknown regarding the case and likely difficult for the prosecution to get a conviction. What is clear is that this is not the case of a pedophile picking up a 13 year old and raping them. This case involved the girl and her mother essentially attempting to get a break in Hollywood through sexual favors. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it a different type of case. It is also unclear whether Polanski actually knew the girl was underage. Most accounts indicate that the girl looked and carried herself as substantially older.


    Because of these factors, the District Attorney understood that they had problems with proof in the case and very likely would not be able to get a conviction. As a result, they offered a plea deal to Polanski which he accepted.

    What Polanski did and his fleeing are certainly not commendable, however, many of the problems were created by the judge who was not aware of the weakness of the DA's case.

    Polanski should be sentenced pursuant to the original deal which was "time served" and probation.
    I have to laugh at this post when you state that we should get the FACTS straight and then make everyone dizzy spinning this case and avoiding the FACTS.

    FACT: Polanski was guilty of, and admitted to having sex with an underage girl which broke the law.

    FACT: Polanski exhibited extremely poor judgment and lack of moral character and as such, was properly charged for his misconduct and prosecuted for it.

    FACT: Polanski fled the country after pleading to a lesser charge in an effort to avoid justice and incarceration; in other words, broke the law a second time.

    Your, and others, efforts to spin this as some miscarriage of justice just cannot be supported by the FACTS and the notion that someone should be able to thumb their nose at the Justice system in the US after abusing his position and exhibiting extremely poor judgment having sex with this 13 year old are about as DUMB as thinking that this is a "special" case of consensual rape" or that Polanski has only used his status/position for sex with minors ONE time.


  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not a matter of "defending"....its about doing what is right.

    The plea agreement should have been honored 30 years ago. If it had, he would have been off probation 25 years ago. The man has stayed out of trouble...that is what probation is intended to do....keep someone on the straight and narrow. He has done that.

    If you see the need for additional sanctions. Give him the original deal...Time served and 5 years probation.
    So let me understand your convoluted logic here: Polanski was justified fleeing our justice system because even thought he was filthy rich, could afford the best lawyers and felt that even with that level of representation, they still were too incompetent to keep him from serving time and therefore, being innocent and such and given the “illegal” actions of the Judge, he had no choice but to flee this despotic nation and its attempts to illegally punish him for something so mundane as having “consensual” sex with a 13 year old.

    Does this summarize your argument?

    The fascinating part of this level of denial and spin is the assertion that the Judge acted improperly and as such, Polanski being the rich over-represented person that he is, had no other legal recourse but to flee justice.


  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Should Roman Polanski be punished for his crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I do find it fascinating what kind of defenders Polanski has. Many seem to think that his status as an "artist" should somehow be taken into account.
    I am willing to bet that ALL his defenders quite possibly also voted for Obama?

Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •