View Poll Results: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    34 65.38%
  • No. They should get LWOP

    18 34.62%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 104

Thread: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    With the rash of recent FBI arrests of individuals charged with trying to make bombs & intending to blow up buildings, if convected, what is a proper punishment for these crimes.
    I favor the death penalty, if convicted.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Some guy blowing up a building or vehicle or aircraft full of people or ramming that plane full of people into a building or masterminded it and it was carried out then yes that individual should be executed.


    Some guy convicted of attempting to do one of the above( like that one dumbass on tv right now who thought he bought explosives and attempted to set off a truck bomb) and actually attempted it then life without parole(actual life without parole not UK/Scottish life without parole). Cases involving just the murder of an individual or two should be treated no different than any other murder case.

    Some nuts just talking about then no life without parole and no execution, talking about something shouldn't be a crime.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 09-25-09 at 01:18 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Some guy blowing up a building or vehicle or aircraft full of people or ramming that plane full of people into a building or masterminded it and it was carried out then yes that individual should be executed.


    Some guy convicted of attempting to do one of the above( like that one dumbass on tv right now) and actually attempted it then life without parole(actual life without parole not UK/Scottish life without parole). Cases involving just the murder of an individual or two should be treated no different than any other murder case.
    I don't see the difference really. Just because that terrorist was arrested before he could commit his heinous crime does not make the attempt any less terrible. (it's not like he changed his mind.....He intended to kill innocent people & was just stopped b4 he could actually do it)
    I say Death in either case.
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-25-09 at 01:20 PM.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    I wouldn't necessarily think we should outright execute people. Well first off, I don't think the death penalty is a good thing. Second, some of this stuff seems rather suspect. The one dude from Illinois was entrapped by the police for sure. So at this point I don't have enough information to say if I would back execution since I'm not sure the government acted saintly in all the cases. It has to be on the individual level.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #5
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Execution might be practical in some cases, but it really depends on the circumstances. For the current case in question, the death penalty would not be appropriate. The man has no outside connection to any real group, and we just as safe if he is in prison than if we kill him.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I don't see the difference really. Just because that terrorist was arrested before he could commit his heinous crime does not make the attempt any less terrible. (it's not like he changed his mind.....He intended to kill innocent people & was just stopped b4 he could actually do it)
    I say Death in either case.
    Do you feel the same way regarding other crimes? For example soliciting someone under the age of consent for sex, someone attempting to steal a car, someone attempting breaking and entering, someone attempting to deal illegal drugs, someone attempting to hack a computer? Should those individuals be charged with the actual crime or an attempt and be punished the same as though that individual did do that crime?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #7
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    (it's not like he changed his mind.....He intended to kill innocent people & was just stopped b4 he could actually do it)
    If I try to kill someone and someone else stops me, I can't be charged with murder. I can be charged with attempted murder or conspiracy to commit murder, but not murder itself as I had not actually murdered anyone.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Do you feel the same way regarding other crimes? For example soliciting someone under the age of consent for sex, someone attempting to steal a car, someone attempting breaking and entering, someone attempting to deal illegal drugs, someone attempting to hack a computer? Should those individuals be charged with the actual crime or an attempt and be punished the same as though that individual did do that crime?
    Hmmmm....Good point....Let me think about that b4 I just jump in with an answer.



    Edit:

    OK....I took a few minutes & I can't see the justification for a lesser punishment than one for the actual crime itself, just because the criminal was stopped by the police b4 he could carry it out.
    So........(I'm not dead settled on this but) my quick opinion would be that while the charge would be different....(ie attempted murder as opposed to murder itself.... as an example) The punishment should be the same unless defense can establish that his client would not have actually gone through with the crime, even if he hadn't been stopped.

    Good question though!
    (I'll watch the arguments on the other side with an open mind though)
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-25-09 at 01:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Hmmmm....Good point....Let me think about that b4 I just jump in with an answer.



    Edit:

    OK....I took a few minutes & I can't see the justification for a lesser punishment than one for the actual crime itself, just because the criminal was stopped by the police b4 he could carry it out.
    So........(I'm not dead settled on this but) my quick opinion would be that while the charge would be different....(ie attempted murder as opposed to murder itself.... as an example) The punishment should be the same unless defense can establish that his client would not have actually gone through with the crime, even if he hadn't been stopped.

    Good question though!
    (I'll watch the arguments on the other side with an open mind though)


    The more I think about this...the more complex the issue:

    Punishment for the commission of the actual crime is punishment for an act.
    Punishment for an attempt can be for little more than what the Conspiracy laws specify...which is to communicate the idea of committing an illegal act (with one or more people) & to commit at least one "Overt Act" in furtherance of that conspiracy.
    In other words, simply thinking about a crime or even planning one is not a crime unless an overt act is performed. (an overt act can be as little as driving by a bank to check its security in the case of the crime of Conspiracy to commit bank robbery)

    So...that brings to mind what stage was the attempted bombing in when the arrests took place & from what I've heard...the bomb makers had actually acquired some materials to make a bomb & therefore I would still say the death penalty would be warranted as these guys were obviously serious in wanting to actually kill people with a bomb.
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-25-09 at 02:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: Should Convicted Terrorists Be Executed?

    What really needs to happen to them, is Magneto's prison, with a webcam.

    Plexiglass box, no privacy, the world can view them round the clock in their cage, pickin their noses or pinchin a loaf.

    You want to destroy the enemy's heroes and cost the enemy morale, put them in a 24/7 internet zoo.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •