View Poll Results: Is the song "Barack the Magic Negro" racist?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's clearly racist.

    8 18.60%
  • No, it's a valid satire piece.

    35 81.40%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Is this song racist?

  1. #31
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Really? That's what you thought his INTENT was? Based on.....actually listening, or reading something on Media Matters?

    The first time he brought it up on his show, the word itself I mean, it was clearly him speaking in reference to the story that was written and Al Sharptons comments regarding Obama, while looking at the notion of Obama as a "Magic Negro", per the literary cliche, for some on the left.

    When the song first debuted it was again clearly referencing that entire segment that Rush talked about it and clearly put in the guise of Sharpton parody, from the lyrics to the way it was sung.

    You sit here and insult an entire LARGE population of Americans with broad strokes with seemingly no reliable reason behind it except for you have contempt for Rush Limbaugh and anyone that dares listen to Rush Limbaugh so they must all be racist bigots who either immedietely thought "hur hur they're calling the president a nigger" or whose goal was "haha, secretly I'm calling him a nigger and that's what my listerners will think". The only way one could listen to the full situation that brought the show to bear and assume that it was meant to be a racist attack on Obama (or anyone else) would be if they're coming into it with an already biased and decided slant and preconcieved notion towards Limbaugh.
    i did not listen, i rarely listen. but of course i think that was his intent, what else? rush is a known racist and entertainer who craves conflict in the name of ratings, and he does his job well.

    are you a rush listener? i do have contempt for rush, i'm not denying that. and yes, i think many of his listeners are stupid. i have heard the callers, for god's sake.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #32
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i thought rush's INTENT when he played that song was racist, as his audience clearly doesn't quite understand satire, or most of them anyway. he stirred the pot, so to speak, with racist intentions, imo.
    I wonder more about the intent of the writer of the original reference to obama using the words "magic negro." I believe he was a writer for the LA times.
    Last edited by other; 09-23-09 at 04:56 PM.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i did not listen, i rarely listen. but of course i think that was his intent, what else? rush is a known racist and entertainer who craves conflict in the name of ratings, and he does his job well.

    are you a rush listener? i do have contempt for rush, i'm not denying that. and yes, i think many of his listeners are stupid. i have heard the callers, for god's sake.
    I'm in general a talk radio listener, be it hot talk, sports talk, or political talk. I do listen to Rush at times (more often now that CBS axed my hot talk station). In part because he does reveal interesting bits of news that you don't hear about as quickly from the MSM (of which I always end up going and researching myself rather than taking any of Rush's words for gospel truth), in part to hear his take on conservatism which at timse is very spot on, and in part to hear and see some of the examples on my side that I hate and like to fight against from my own stand point.

    What I've realized is that the VAST amount of criticism of Rush that I see from many on the other side is over exaggerated, over blown, and often times created simply out of a view point and a preconcieved belief of what he "really means" and "really thinks" and thus they take what he says...completely ignores the context that it is said in and the context presented throughout his general show attitude and statements...and try to misrepresent or simply misinterprit what he's saying into something that fits their world view of him.

    When this whole thing with the Magic Negro broke I went onto an account of a person I know who has access to his site. I had listened to the original segment talking about the news paper on the radio and went and listened to the segment debuting the song. The context was bluntly obvious, the intent was bluntly obvious, to anyone that actually took the time to not ASSUME his intent based on stereotypes, preconcieved notions, and partisan hatred and actually took the time to intelligently, and unbaisedly (there's nothing more unbiased then listening to the exact words without spin being put on them from either side) judge and decide what was being said.

    He had repeatedly, clearly, pointed out that who originally labeled him the "Magic Negro". He repeatedly, clearly, pointed out what the term was in a literary sense (for those that don't understand...its a literary device where there is a black character who ends up solving the problems or giving the answer to the main white character. This isn't an old phenomina, as even recently "The Legend of Bagger Vance" had Will Smith in the "magic negro" role). He repeatedly, clearly, was criticizing Sharpton for saying Obama's not "black enough" and not "down for the struggle", highlighting that while they're simultaneously trying to push Obama as the first legitimate black candidate there's people in the black community trying to downplay him as not "real" enough. And the song was done in a parody voice of Sharpton, someone whose he parodied similarly in song in the past, with lines clearly referencing the news article that he's talked about numerous times, and lampooning the entire situation.

    The only way one could listen to all this and immedietely say his INTENT was to be racist would be to do it on nothing but their own stereotypical, extremely partisan, preconcieved biases against Rush Limbaugh because no actual FACTS back up the notion that this was his "intent".

  4. #34
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm in general a talk radio listener, be it hot talk, sports talk, or political talk. I do listen to Rush at times (more often now that CBS axed my hot talk station). In part because he does reveal interesting bits of news that you don't hear about as quickly from the MSM (of which I always end up going and researching myself rather than taking any of Rush's words for gospel truth), in part to hear his take on conservatism which at timse is very spot on, and in part to hear and see some of the examples on my side that I hate and like to fight against from my own stand point.

    What I've realized is that the VAST amount of criticism of Rush that I see from many on the other side is over exaggerated, over blown, and often times created simply out of a view point and a preconcieved belief of what he "really means" and "really thinks" and thus they take what he says...completely ignores the context that it is said in and the context presented throughout his general show attitude and statements...and try to misrepresent or simply misinterprit what he's saying into something that fits their world view of him.

    When this whole thing with the Magic Negro broke I went onto an account of a person I know who has access to his site. I had listened to the original segment talking about the news paper on the radio and went and listened to the segment debuting the song. The context was bluntly obvious, the intent was bluntly obvious, to anyone that actually took the time to not ASSUME his intent based on stereotypes, preconcieved notions, and partisan hatred and actually took the time to intelligently, and unbaisedly (there's nothing more unbiased then listening to the exact words without spin being put on them from either side) judge and decide what was being said.

    He had repeatedly, clearly, pointed out that who originally labeled him the "Magic Negro". He repeatedly, clearly, pointed out what the term was in a literary sense (for those that don't understand...its a literary device where there is a black character who ends up solving the problems or giving the answer to the main white character. This isn't an old phenomina, as even recently "The Legend of Bagger Vance" had Will Smith in the "magic negro" role). He repeatedly, clearly, was criticizing Sharpton for saying Obama's not "black enough" and not "down for the struggle", highlighting that while they're simultaneously trying to push Obama as the first legitimate black candidate there's people in the black community trying to downplay him as not "real" enough. And the song was done in a parody voice of Sharpton, someone whose he parodied similarly in song in the past, with lines clearly referencing the news article that he's talked about numerous times, and lampooning the entire situation.

    The only way one could listen to all this and immedietely say his INTENT was to be racist would be to do it on nothing but their own stereotypical, extremely partisan, preconcieved biases against Rush Limbaugh because no actual FACTS back up the notion that this was his "intent".
    what's hot talk?

    btw, i know what "magic negro" means, and i find the words distasteful. i admit i am biased about rush, but it's because what i have heard is unduly inflammatory, and i didn't listen to that show. i did READ the lyrics, however. is it your contention that rush innocently whips up his audience?

    i listen to music and sports, almost exclusively, and i read.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Interestingly enough, boyfriend and I were talking about this very subject at lunch today. And, I'd never heard the song, and had no idea what it was about. Thanks, Zyphlin, for a very helpful post.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is this song racist?

    This is another good overview:

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_the_magic_negro]Barack the Magic Negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    And, here's a link to the original reference:

    Obama the 'Magic Negro' -- latimes.com

  7. #37
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Absolutely not racist.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Greeno View Post
    who poses this kind of question
    My guess would be a racist who likes to scream racism at everything he doesn't agree with.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    what's hot talk?

    btw, i know what "magic negro" means, and i find the words distasteful. i admit i am biased about rush, but it's because what i have heard is unduly inflammatory, and i didn't listen to that show. i did READ the lyrics, however. is it your contention that rush innocently whips up his audience?

    i listen to music and sports, almost exclusively, and i read.
    Then I suggest before you go and pass judgement on Rush and us who dolisten to him, you take the time out of your busy day and listen to what he does say and not what the White House and the Left Main Stream Media claims he is saying. Question for you are you on record saying that anyone that listens to Rush is A) A Racist,B)Dumb and Stupid.

    As for teh topic far from being Racist it's funny when this all happen it was a Black reporter from the LA Times who wrote the article and when Rush played it was pointing this out. Far from being the So-Called racist some of you claim he is.

  10. #40
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Is this song racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i thought rush's INTENT when he played that song was racist, as his audience clearly doesn't quite understand satire, or most of them anyway. he stirred the pot, so to speak, with racist intentions, imo.
    I'll take "Making Sweeping Generalizations About People Who Disagree with Me" for $200 Alex!

    Seriously, I haven't seen a better example of partisan left wing superiority complex in quite some time.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •