View Poll Results: At what age should people be legally allowed to buy alcohol?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • No age limit

    10 10.00%
  • 15 or younger

    1 1.00%
  • 16

    11 11.00%
  • 17

    0 0%
  • 18

    47 47.00%
  • 19

    4 4.00%
  • 20

    0 0%
  • 21 or older

    27 27.00%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101

Thread: What should the drinking age be?

  1. #51
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I think it should be Forty-two.

    (that is, after all, the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    love it ...

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs"]YouTube - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish[/ame]
    Last edited by jackalope; 09-16-09 at 09:51 PM.

  2. #52
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Can we please get a link to those statistics?
    Sure, I originally saw that information on a poster in the subway... so I didn't have any source for that untill now. :P

    - Mothers Against Drunk Driving - Parents
    "between 1982 and 1998, there were 61 percent fewer drinking drivers involved in fatal crashes under age 21"


    However... that is just one side of the story, and does not take into consideration other factors.

    This info from the same site has more important information though

    "In 2003, the Centers for Disease Control looked at 49 high-quality peer-reviewed studies of the effects of changing the minimum drinking age law. Almost every study found that increasing the minimum drinking age to 21 saved lives (an average decrease of 16 percent) and that lowering the minimum drinking age to 18 or 19 caused an average increase in crashes of eight to 10 percent."


    Finally, there was a graph about how while alcohol related deaths from the 80's were higher then they are today, other fatalities are actually higher today. So that means that the reductions in drunk driving deaths can't be the cause of less teen drunk driving accidents.

    http://www.madd.org/getfile/e9682dbd...ies082208.aspx
    Last edited by nerv14; 09-16-09 at 10:09 PM.

  3. #53
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Even if true and disregarding Obvious Child's statements about Western Europe, the same argument that I use against the Drug War remains. They're adults, their choice. As long as they don't get behind the wheel or do somethings else illegal, it's not the government's problem.
    Thats one view that people can have. But trying to maxamize the welfare of the society is another goal.

    I agree that there isn't a problem with teenagers drinking, but the problem is that since they are more likely to drive drunk when drinking is legal, that harms society.

    Anyway, the argument for at least the legalization of marijuanna, center on welfare for the society issues instead of freedome ones. More drugs should be legalized because it will help the economy and reduce crime, more freedome is another lesser factor in that issue, for me anyway.

    -----------------

    I do just have to say that I support a 21 age drinking age less now because there is only around a 16% reduction in drunk driving because of the drinking age. So I am not sure if that is worth the loss of freedome in not being able to drink legally. Its a ballance.
    Last edited by nerv14; 09-16-09 at 10:15 PM.

  4. #54
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    So it's OK to you if drunk driving accidents increase dramatically just so that everything can line up neatly with the an arbitrary age? I'm not sure I understand your argument.
    My argument is that people who are legally adults should be treated as such. If an 18 year old gets drunk but doesn't hassle anyone or drive, why is it any of the government's business? Our legal system isn't based on the possiblity of someone commiting a crime in the future.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    If you're old enough to join the military. You're old enough to buy a beer.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #56
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Teen drunk drivers also contribute to harm other individuals who aren't drunk on the road. (my source has information about that claim as well) So by keeping the drinking age at 18, we would be depriving some of those people their lives even though they did not consume alcohol themselves.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Whatever the age limit is to buy/own/carry a pistol, that's what the drinking age should be.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Ideally a parent should introduce a child to alcohol at a young age to teach them responsibility. You know the whole French attitude of having wine diluted with water at meal time. Removes the 'cool' factor

    But i would say 16, if you can join the army. You can handle alcohol.


  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Ideally a parent should introduce a child to alcohol at a young age to teach them responsibility. You know the whole French attitude of having wine diluted with water at meal time. Removes the 'cool' factor

    But i would say 16, if you can join the army. You can handle alcohol.
    Here in SD your child can drink whatever they want in your own home at any age.

    The drinking age only applies when they want to go to the bar and be a part of the adult scene.

    SD FTW!!!

  10. #60
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: What should the drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Thats one view that people can have. But trying to maxamize the welfare of the society is another goal.
    I can agree on right infringement reduction.

    I agree that there isn't a problem with teenagers drinking, but the problem is that since they are more likely to drive drunk when drinking is legal, that harms society.
    First and foremost, drinking is not legal for teenagers, therefore it is impossible to make such a long leap. Of course we can use statistics from previous era's, yet that is not an equal relationship so a rather large amount of controls would have to be made to control for the differences.

    I do just have to say that I support a 21 age drinking age less now because there is only around a 16% reduction in drunk driving because of the drinking age. So I am not sure if that is worth the loss of freedom in not being able to drink legally. Its a balance.
    IMHO, MADD's various studies are flawed. Reason be, they seem to be supportive of studies that heavily weight the age variable, when a natural reduction of drunk driving might have more to do with increased enforcement, education, and plain common sense. Since i have no link to the actual studies cited, i am only speculating.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •