View Poll Results: Would you support term limits for congress?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 70.37%
  • No

    6 22.22%
  • Undecided

    2 7.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Do you support term limits for congress?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    You can argue incumbency itself limits choice.

    I prefer the idea of term limits for Congress, but I know that its impossible to ask for, since they would have to legislate it themselves. I would also favor 1 6 year term for presidency.

    Why put this country and a sitting president through a re-election bid? Let him/her do their job, without distraction of election cycles.
    I F***ing hate Lesnar, but I love your answer.

  2. #12
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    The problem with lack of term limits is that once a politician is in office too long, they think they own the place. That the people are there to serve them. That is by far the grosses perversion of democracy. The incumbency rate and gerrymandering only serve to reinforce this.

    I'd for a single 6 year presidency like WI, as it allows the president to make unpopular, but necessary decisions. And reps should have no more then four 2 year terms and senators no more than two 4 year terms.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #13
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    If you stepped into the voting booth today with a federal proposition for putting term limits on Senators and Representatives, how would you vote?

    Personally I would like to see each chamber get 2 4 year terms like we currently have for POTUS.
    I voted yes. We have term limits for presidents so why shouldn't the same thing apply to those in other political offices?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #14
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    Politicians are like fish which if left out too long begin to smell.
    You took the words right outta my mouth.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Quite the opposite my friend. Once an established candidate has accumulated so much wealth and power while in office, history and statistics have shown they become nearly impossible to beat; generally winning office with money from special interests, lobbyists and high-end donors to whom they serve, not you. Your choices are actually limited because no one can ever beat them in the primaries or generally election. Stats show that once a congressmen wins three times, he is more than likely in for life, unless he runs for senate, of course. Then the odds get a little harder, but not much.
    I have no problem with that. That is the choice of the people, and I see no reason to override the will of the people.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have no problem with that. That is the choice of the people, and I see no reason to override the will of the people.
    It's not the will of the people. Exit polls show that most folks vote party line...regardless of whose name is in the box next to "D" or "R". If that's the case then it debunks your theory of choice. That's what the primary is for. The fact is that incumbents have a 30 to 1 advantage of winning primaries. Isn't it pompous to assert that NO ONE in an entire voting district is qualified to be Representative except one person?

    You are a liberal, you should get the concepts of fairness and opportunity...

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    It's not the will of the people. Exit polls show that most folks vote party line...regardless of whose name is in the box next to "D" or "R". If that's the case then it debunks your theory of choice. That's what the primary is for. The fact is that incumbents have a 30 to 1 advantage of winning primaries. Isn't it pompous to assert that NO ONE in an entire voting district is qualified to be Representative except one person?

    You are a liberal, you should get the concepts of fairness and opportunity...
    If people vote party line, that is their right and their choice. Why do you think you know better? I think every one in a district who legally qualifies should be able to run, including the incumbent.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If people vote party line, that is their right and their choice. Why do you think you know better? I think every one in a district who legally qualifies should be able to run, including the incumbent.
    I'm talking about how it is. You are talking about how it should be.

    Again...realism vs. idealism.

    So you think that there should be no term limits for POTUS, either?

    Bet you'd feel different if Bush just got a third term.

  9. #19
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    I'm talking about how it is. You are talking about how it should be.

    Again...realism vs. idealism.

    So you think that there should be no term limits for POTUS, either?

    Bet you'd feel different if Bush just got a third term.
    No, I am talking exactly how it is. People now can choose who they want to vote for, whether you or I like it. I think that is exactly the way it should be.

    I think it should be this way for POTUS, but since the term limits are constitutionally mandated, don't think it is worth the effort to fight it.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Do you support term limits for congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, I am talking exactly how it is. People now can choose who they want to vote for, whether you or I like it. I think that is exactly the way it should be.

    I think it should be this way for POTUS, but since the term limits are constitutionally mandated, don't think it is worth the effort to fight it.
    No you aren't being realistic. Not just anyone can defeat an incumbent. 99% of the time, the incumbent has more money and wins the primary. Now, if a challenger of a different party wins the general, then OK. But, statistically it gets less likely as time goes on and said incumbent never loses.

    Money. That is what it takes. Understand it. Accept it.

    There are probably some individuals who can maintain integrity throughout extremely long careers in the Senate or House; but they are few. Keep the turn-over fast and furious and your corruption lowers and production increases. Unless you are a fan of corruption, no representation and no productivity.

    Not to mention, the longer the politican is in Washington, the less they are at HOME and they less they understand the issues in their states and districts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •