View Poll Results: Why are we at war with Iraq

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oil

    13 46.43%
  • 9/11

    4 14.29%
  • Atomic Bomb

    2 7.14%
  • I Don't Know

    9 32.14%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 123

Thread: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

  1. #51
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    OK, let me rephrase: We're much more likely to invade a country with a significant amount of oil than a country with very little oil.
    We've never invaded a country that didn't have large agricultural areas, either. Did we just do it for the 'taters?

    Now, I will admit that the fact that the ME has the lion's share of the world's oil reserves, that oil was a factor. It's a factor in the sense that we can't allow most of the world's oil fall into the hands of a bunch of crazies. Without oil, food doesn't get grown, nor does it make it from the field to the kitchen table. In this day and age oil and food are both equative in importance to the stability of the globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Things are getting quieter by the day. They were, anyway, before we decided to leave prematurely.
    We haven't left, and we'd have to leave some time...Prematurely....when is it mature? WTF are we even doing there still? Things are bloodier than ever, we've expanded back into Afghanistan because apparently we didn't think we should finish up there before starting a pointless war in Iraq, and now people are even talking of expanding further. For Christ's sake, enough is enough. We're behind the cue ball on this one...we put ourselves there. Imperialism just isn't our strong suit.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #53
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    We haven't left, and we'd have to leave some time...Prematurely....when is it mature? WTF are we even doing there still? Things are bloodier than ever, we've expanded back into Afghanistan because apparently we didn't think we should finish up there before starting a pointless war in Iraq, and now people are even talking of expanding further. For Christ's sake, enough is enough. We're behind the cue ball on this one...we put ourselves there. Imperialism just isn't our strong suit.
    We're still there, because if had left a few years ago, the country would fall into chaos and we would have to go back and start all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's right and there are billions of barrels of oil in Africa, so the whole, "it's all about the oil", notion is flawed.
    No, Africa is a bit bigger than Iraq, and we'd need to get that oil out. But the entire notion that we're bringing freedom and democracy is flawed because we haven't attempted it for the most oppressed people, just that which can get us a foothold into one of the largest oil producing areas on earth.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We're still there, because if had left a few years ago, the country would fall into chaos and we would have to go back and start all over again.
    Fall into chaos? It seems to me we put it there and never got it out. And why the hell would we have to go back there?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fall into chaos? It seems to me we put it there and never got it out. And why the hell would we have to go back there?
    We would go back sooner, or later, because it was obviously Saddam's ambition to rule more than just Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We would go back sooner, or later, because it was obviously Saddam's ambition to rule more than just Iraq.
    Is it now? And you base that on? Also...Saddam is dead. Just FYI. So why would we have to go back?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #58
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by jr602az View Post
    All you have to do is vote and explain why
    Not everyone can do a successful poll. It takes skill. At least put an "other" option in there. I refuse to vote in your poll.

    OBL 11/24/02

  9. #59
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,891
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by jr602az View Post
    Come on how can you say that we are not at war. Dude people dieing out there.
    There may well be a war, but it's not the US at war with Iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We created the oppurtunity to draw 40 thousand jihadists into the open so we could kill them and we're in a very strategically advantagous position in the ME.
    ^LOLz^
    on a few levels
    If they were "in the open" we'd be done already.

    We don't have the wherewithal to do anything but what we're doing at the moment--that's not very advantageous at all. We can't just up and out of Iraq no matter what some may like to think. Those resources are tied down there and cannot be allocated elsewhere.
    There's more, but that's the nutshell.
    I may be wrong.

  10. #60
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Why Are We At War With Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is it now? And you base that on? Also...Saddam is dead. Just FYI. So why would we have to go back?
    Well there's Iran, Kuwait, the Kurds. There's also a reason why he's dead

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •