View Poll Results: What is the least fair outcome of this, and why?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not receive those goods/services because I cannot pay

    16 38.10%
  • The doctor does not receive compensation for the goods/services he provided

    12 28.57%
  • The doctorís other patients foot the bill for the goods/services I received

    5 11.90%
  • The taxpayers foot the bill for the goods/services I received

    9 21.43%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 190

Thread: Unfair Practices in Health Care

  1. #71
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you know the name of the test? Or who makes it? Not that I'm doubting your story. Just that they aren't all priced the same way and I think your doctor might have confused you. Some thyroid blood tests do cost $250 and some are really dirt cheap. $29 dirt cheap.
    It's called a Thyroid Profile. It tests T3, T4, and TSH hormone levels.

    And I know it doesn't cost $250 truly. That's just what they charge people who don't know any better than to order the test themselves without using a doctor's orders.

    The Thyroid Profile is done repetitively to test my thyroid hormone levels. But, in addition to that, for my first test, they also tested me for Hashimoto's Disease - which was an additional cost.

  2. #72
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Assume that:
    I am sick. I go to the doctor. The doctor provides goods/services.
    I do not have insurance and I cannot pay for the goods/services provided.

    What is the least fair outcome of this, and why?
    - I do not receive those goods/services because I cannot pay
    - The doctor does not receive compensation for the goods/services he provided
    - The doctorís other patients foot the bill for the goods/services I received
    - The taxpayers foot the bill for the goods/services I received
    I couldn't decide between the third and fourth for a while. it seems very logical to me that the third option is as arbitrary as the fourth but with a more concentrated penalty, as someone stated; however, the doctor could reasonably decide to make up the lost money by raising his rates, and since his other patients are voluntarily soliciting his goods/services, it seems more fair this way than to charge all taxpayers.

    so I picked the third but I regret it. I may change my mind again soon though.

    when I look at the poll results I think maybe the definition of "fair" has changed since I last checked?

  3. #73
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post



    I said voluntary charity (i.e. no government involvement).
    The gov't part of the equation is irrelevant. Whether gov't takes more money from some people than others to redistribute health care dollars OR the hospital does it by charging some people more than others for the same procedure, it is NOT VOLUNTARY.

  4. #74
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    The gov't part of the equation is irrelevant. Whether gov't takes more money from some people than others to redistribute health care dollars OR the hospital does it by charging some people more than others for the same procedure, it is NOT VOLUNTARY.
    Furthermore, as it stands, people who are self-employed, self-insuring are subsidizing corporate employees who receive an untaxed benefit.

  5. #75
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yeah, weird that everyone who comes to that hospital can get the same deal, eh? Little brochure on the counter and everything. I wonder why they would do that if the test actually cost so much more? *ponders*


    Get rid of insurance, get rid of high costs.
    I would not count on it.

    Whatever the situation with your lab test, I can assure you that you will not receive a break on the cost of medical care just because you are uninsured. My husband's $3500. colonoscopy was not a "special deal" because we are self-pay. Nor my kid's $175. one month supply of Advair ($30. in Canada). I'd wager that Anthem pays half as much to the hospital for a colonoscopy.

  6. #76
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I chose it because of your words in the poll - 'I cannot pay', under the assumption that I am sick and the doctor can provide a service to 'get me well'. Now, should I get services for free? No. But if someone cannot afford the service, why should they be denied?
    Denial of goods and services due to inability to pay is the societal norm, one common across virtually all societies.
    Why should health care be an exception?

    I mean, this is someone's life, after all.
    And so, someone else should be forced shoulder the burden to provide you the means to live?
    How does your right to life trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?

    In addition to being unfair, there's something immoral about the whole deal.
    Is it immoral to force others to pay for the goods and services you receive?
    How does your 'right' to health care trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?
    Last edited by Goobieman; 09-17-09 at 10:45 AM.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Did you all know that you can substantially reduce the cost of diagnostic tests by negotiating ahead of time on price? Insurance companies negotiate and so can individuals.

    How To Negotiate with a Doctor

  8. #78
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Denial of goods and services due to inability to pay is the societal norm, one common across virtually all societies.
    No, not all
    Why should health care be an exception?
    Because the consensus of the majority who live in this country have made that determination
    Your point of view may have been the standard 200 years ago. Fortunately, it is not any longer.

  9. #79
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    No, not all
    Anticipating this very response, I said VIRTUALLY all.

    Because the consensus of the majority who live in this country have made that determination
    Logical fallacy: Argumentum ad populum
    http://www.logicalfallacies.info/rel...to-popularity/

    So...
    -Why should health care be an exception?

    And then:
    -Someone else should be forced shoulder the burden to provide you the means to live?
    -How does your right to life trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?
    -Is it immoral to force others to pay for the goods and services you receive?
    -How does your 'right' to health care trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,050

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    That's just what they charge people who don't know any better than to order the test themselves without using a doctor's orders.
    Well the doctor has to get the test from somewhere. Right? Who would he get it from? Labs? And why would he get it from labs for the price of obviously less than $15 when companies sell it to individuals for hundreds of dollars? It seems like a huge gap between $250 and $15. Most people would simply go to a doctor and have him do the test for $15. I mean it would seem to me like if hospitals could perform these tests cheaply they'd have a midway price of say $75 but not a difference of $235.

    Complete Thyroid Profile (Blood) | Blood Spot - Profiles | ZRT Laboratory

    Price per Unit (piece): $276.00

    Overall assessment of thyroid function. Includes: free Thyroxine (fT4), free Triiodothryronine (fT3), Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO).
    Thyroid Screenings - Super Chemistry plus Thyroid Blood Testing Profile

    This group of tests would typically cost $250 from your local doctor or hospital lab. At $92, thatís a savings of $158!

    The Super Chemistry plus Thyroid Blood Testing Panel from HealthCheckUSA is a baseline health assessment that focuses on prevention and identifying any health risk factors related to Heart Disease, risk of heart attack, risk of stroke and thyroid disorders. Due to the popularity of the Blood Testing Panel, HealthCheckUSA is able to provide it at a significant discount versus purchasing these lab tests from your doctor.
    A lab that provides the test :

    Lab Test MD, Personal & Confidential Lab Testing Services.

    List Price: $225.00
    Our Price: $95.00
    You Save $130.00!

    Product Code: 027011

    Tests included in our panel:

    Free thyroxine index (FTI)
    T3 uptake (THBR)
    Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
    Thyroxine (T4)
    Tri-iodothyronine (T3)

    Thyroid Profile
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •