View Poll Results: What is the least fair outcome of this, and why?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not receive those goods/services because I cannot pay

    16 38.10%
  • The doctor does not receive compensation for the goods/services he provided

    12 28.57%
  • The doctor’s other patients foot the bill for the goods/services I received

    5 11.90%
  • The taxpayers foot the bill for the goods/services I received

    9 21.43%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 190

Thread: Unfair Practices in Health Care

  1. #101
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Well the doctor has to get the test from somewhere. Right? Who would he get it from?
    I order the test. The results are given to ME. I take them to my doctor.

    Labs? And why would he get it from labs for the price of obviously less than $15 when companies sell it to individuals for hundreds of dollars? It seems like a huge gap between $250 and $15.
    The doc has nothing to do with it.

    Most people would simply go to a doctor and have him do the test for $15.
    Not sure what you mean, but my doctor back home can't do the tests. If you need labwork done, you go to the hospital.

    I mean it would seem to me like if hospitals could perform these tests cheaply they'd have a midway price of say $75 but not a difference of $235.
    They CAN perform them cheaply, and they do.


    I am unsure what this proves other than the price I gave that the hospital charges for tests performed at a doctor's order is accurate. So, what you quoted confirms that is a "normal" price that labs charge. It says nothing about what the labwork actually COSTS. As you know, what something actually costs a provider and what they charge are two very different things.

    My hometown hospital has a pamplet on their information counter that lists all of the labwork they will perform at a MUCH cheaper rate if you simply rip up the doctor's orders for the labwork and write your OWN order for the labwork. You have to pay right there - cash - and wait for the results. (or leave and return to pick up the results immediately after they are available). ONLY you can pick up the results. They will not send them anywhere. They will not give them to anyone else. They will not keep them around waiting days for you to pick them up. There are only certain tests they will do them for, but they are the most common tests performed. About 20 of them. The thyroid profile is one. There are different prices for different tests. Anyone can have their tests done this way. They don't ask any questions, there aren't any financial qualifiers. You pay them the amount in cash and pick up the results yourself, those are the only qualifiers.

    Most people just don't know about it, is all. I wouldn't have known myself if I hadn't been standing there chatting with the information desk gal.

  2. #102
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This notion that Americans cannot afford the expense of insurance is false; they CHOOSE not to pay for it and now many think that they can get the Government to confiscate the wealth of others to pay for them so that they can spend it on new cars, the latest big screen TV and $100 tennis shoes.
    That is just blatantly false. Repeating falsehoods does not make them true.

    The mean family income for a family of 3, in Maine, is about $53,000. The insurance premium quoted to me by Anthem B.C/B.S. was $2100. a month. That was one year ago and since that time Anthem has asked to be allowed to raise prices on the individual market by 16%. The above mentioned policy had a $1500 deductible and Anthem still maintains the right not to pay for the treatment of P.E.conditions

    Does 50% of a person's income sound affordable to you???

    Rivrat is correct on this score: in this rag tag non system, it is irrational to purchase health insurance on the individual market from the health insurance mafia. A person may as well depend on hospitals to bargain with them and give them a no interest loan, when necessary.

  3. #103
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    For one, the denial of goods and services may not be directly detrimental to your health if those goods and services are not emergency services. The denial of health care is detrimental, though.
    So...?

    Not only should we, but i'd argue that we have a moral obligation to do just that....
    I SEE.. a "moral obligation"...
    Since when is it OK to force a version of morality onto others?
    And then, what's your argument against someone forcing their morality on you?

    And, you didnt answer the question:
    How does your right to life trump my right to keep the fruits of my labor?

    Goods and services, yes. But what about emergency services?
    What about "emergency goods and services" changes the situation?

    Should, say, the fire department refuse to save your child trapped in a burning building if they discovered your domicile is uninsured? You see what i'm driving at. Refusing health care to those who cannot pay is akin to denying every individual who cannot afford it the right to life should they become sick, and I am not comfortable with that.
    You didnt answer the question:
    How does your 'right' to health care trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?

  4. #104
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You're starting to make sense; who has taken over Goldenboy’s forum name?
    My views on health care are not held upon political ideology. Were various implementations such as TARP, Fannie and Freddie rescues, granting investment banks access to the discount window, 10 new monetary policy tools, zero bound federal funds rates, etc... vital to restoring confidence to the economy? Of course there are issues involved with a many of these specific policy applications, but none the less, during the month's of both December and February, there were serious fears about an all out run on the US financial system that could have brought down the world. We have moved past this point.

    Without a doubt, a public option cannot exist if insurance regulations require firms to insure people with pre-existing conditions (unless of course they do not regulate the pricing mechanism). That very system is unsustainable due to the supposed tax liabilities needed by the federal government to fund the programs.

    With that in mind, i strongly believe that we will get one or the other: 1.) Either insurance companies will have to issue policies to whomever (along with a cap in the pricing mechanism), or 2.) there will be a public option. Of the two things listed above, a public option combined with new regulations that allow companies to deny coverage on any or all basis is optimal. Health care demand is as inelastic as they come.

    Without a public option, you will still see consumers filing bankruptcy in rather staggering numbers, thereby passing the costs to private premiums or government care. If someone does not have the $5,000 deductible needed to pay for a broken arm, either the hospital or the insurance company are going to eat the loss one way or another. Higher deductibles lead to lower premiums, and with the cost soaring at overwhelming percentages year over year, regardless of the individuals health (or use of their insurance), it is unsustainable.

    When a good has such powerful demand from consumers, that 17% increases in price have little no effect on quantity demanded, the social costs in the form of dead weight loss are shifted completely to the consumer (demand) side. Price increases are inevitable. Indebtedness and poor health care outcomes are the real examples of dead weight loss, and reflect the inefficiency of the system because..... they lead to higher health care costs in the long run.

    The bad risk has to shift to a large risk pool, this is the only way. People who are in poor health, lead unhealthy lifestyles, do not hedge risk (not purchasing insurance) have be moved to where the pool is the deepest. What pool is deeper than the American taxpayer?

    I am not stating that all people should be shifted towards that pool, because under the right circumstances, the price mechanism will produce very little dead weight loss, at far less costs (nice ring to it huh?).

    Otherwise, the costs will continue to increase and will have a direct effect on both medicare and medicaid, thereby forcing future generations to foot the bill via increased taxation, in the long run.

    You want to see health care costs begin to decrease? Shift the most risky consumers of health care to the public sector. This has somewhat happened with the creation of medicare, as the elderly are a very risky demographic. When this occurs (as a whole), the government option will not have a chance to compete in terms of both price and quality, thereby providing an incentive to purchase private health care.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #105
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Since when is it OK to force a version of morality onto others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    How does your 'right' to health care trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?
    Inconsistent much?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #106
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Inconsistent much?

    You find inconsistency here because you do not understand the arguments presented.

    Here's a hint:
    The 2nd quote you provided is not a position based in morality.

    AND... you're dodging the question.
    But then, thats what you -always- do when we reach this level of the conversation.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 09-18-09 at 01:26 PM.

  7. #107
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I am in my 50s, never had my tonsils out nor braces and I was entitled to Government healthcare being a military brat overseas.

    ::shrugs::

    This notion that Americans cannot afford the expense of insurance is false; they CHOOSE not to pay for it and now many think that they can get the Government to confiscate the wealth of others to pay for them so that they can spend it on new cars, the latest big screen TV and $100 tennis shoes.

    This debate should be about choice, competition and the FACT that Government can't manage their own budget let alone something as complex as the nation’s healthcare system.
    Our government was never meant to be this large with this many voters. This is why women and blacks were kept out of the pool for so long. Too many voters. We have nearly 50% of the population not paying income taxes, or getting full refunds and many who also get their Social Security back. We are at the point now where we have to look for cheaper ways to pay for healthcare and insurance isn't going to get it. Insurance was always a bad idea from the get go. Say it ain't so, but it be so. I can remember when the conservatives were against insurance, now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yakking about all the leeches on society gets us nowhere. Gotta figure out how to get people adequate HC at a reasonable cost. That's the bottom line, and we're all in this together. There is no liberty for one if it's not for all.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  8. #108
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    You find inconsistency here because you do not understand the arguments presented.

    Here's a hint:
    The 2nd quote you provided is not a position based in morality.
    Really. Then how do YOU determine which "right" trumps the other? For that matter, how do YOU determine whether something is a "right" at all?

    Not only do you CONSTANTLY try to force your morality on others, but you seem utterly incapable of understanding any argument that is NOT morality-based. The very use of the word "unfair" in the title of this thread indicates that your position is entirely based on emotion and your personal view of morality, rather than any logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    AND... you're dodging the question.
    But then, thats what you -always- do when we reach this level of the conversation.
    You didn't ask me a question.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-18-09 at 01:36 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #109
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Really. Then how do YOU determine which "right" trumps the other?
    That's the question -I- have been asking.
    Have an answer? You've only been asked a dozen times...

    For that matter, how do YOU determine whether something is a "right" at all?
    Good question. Apply this question to health care and get back to me.

    Not only do you CONSTANTLY try to force your morality on others, but you seem utterly incapable of understanding any argument that is NOT morality-based.
    This is -completely- unsupportable.
    And, even if true, doesnt your complaint legitimatize the questions I asked?
    Since when is it OK to force a version of morality onto others?
    And then, what's your argument against someone forcing their morality on you?

    You didn't ask me a question.
    Yes, yes I did -- in fact, you quoted it.
    And you ran. As usual.
    Now then, rather than continue to dodge, why dont you answer the questions?

  10. #110
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That's the question -I- have been asking.
    Have an answer? You've only been asked a dozen times...


    Good question. Apply this question to health care and get back to me.
    YOU are the one who keeps bringing up "rights" and what is "fair" and other issues tied to your personal morality. *I* am not the one making claims regarding the moral superiority of one side of this debate over the other, and as such, your question doesn't mean anything. It would, however, behoove you to answer it, since YOU are the one so concerned about these issues.

    What led you to the conclusion that your personal property rights are the most important thing at stake here? And why should I be expected to agree with you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    This is -completely- unsupportable.
    And, even if true, doesnt your complaint legitimatize the questions I asked?
    Since when is it OK to force a version of morality onto others?
    Again, I make no claim that my view is any more or less moral than anyone else's. I only make the claim that my view is more practical and makes more economic sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    And then, what's your argument against someone forcing their morality on you?
    In this particular case, my argument is that opposing views (such as yours) are impractical and make less economic sense than does mine. You won't find me shrieking about the immorality of your view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    Yes, yes I did -- in fact, you quoted it.
    And you ran. As usual.
    That question was not addressed to me.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-18-09 at 02:14 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •