View Poll Results: What is the least fair outcome of this, and why?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not receive those goods/services because I cannot pay

    16 38.10%
  • The doctor does not receive compensation for the goods/services he provided

    12 28.57%
  • The doctor’s other patients foot the bill for the goods/services I received

    5 11.90%
  • The taxpayers foot the bill for the goods/services I received

    9 21.43%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 190

Thread: Unfair Practices in Health Care

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Where is the option,"none of the above / incomplete data"??

    How about this scenario: I am sick I go to the doctor. The doctor provides a service , say a cardiac stent. Patient A has the same procedure. He works for Lockeed and has an excellent insurance plan. The administrators have already reduced the payment for a cardiac stent to $8,000. That is very tight for the hospital's bottom line so anyone who is self-pay the charge is $37,000. for the same procedure. Patient B is self-employed. Through her taxes, she pays for patient A's health insurance, yet because she is not in a large group plan, health insurance costs for patient B are double that of patient A and anything she pays 'out of pocket' will be considerably more expensive....$29,000 more, in this case. (recently heard these numbers, so it is not invented)

    That is the starting point to even begin to judge the situation in the U.S.
    This scenario ignores the thread premise; is it more fair for patients to cover their own costs and/or negotiate them with the physician based on ability to pay, or for the central Government to force all taxpayers to pay for services in an effort to pander to ignorant voters who mistakenly believe their will be no cost to them?

    EVERYONE can get GOOD health coverage; but they will have to PAY more for it.

  2. #92
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-18-18 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    First:
    How does having a right to something equate to the right to have the means to exercise that right provided to you by others?

    Second:
    That doesn't address the issue.

    People have a right to be compensated for the goods and services they provide, and so that compensation is rightly expected by those that DO provide those goods and services. If you cannot pay for someting, those that provide that something have no obligation to provide it for free, and no one else is any obligation to cover the cost for you.

    Why/how is health care different?
    It is not. We pay for other services this way. Education for example


    That I live in a society does not in any way mean those in that society have a legitimate claim to the fruit of my labor within it; whle there may be some organization structure that set the stage for my earning what I earn, the fact is that -I- earned it.
    How does your right to life trump that?
    How does your 'right' to health care trump that?
    Naturally you can complain until you are blue in the face. You pay dues to belong to this particular country club called the U.S. You don't get these privileges for nothing. Democracy confers legitimacy as to how those dues are allocated.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    This poll is a mini indicator of why we are having the idiotic debates over Government healthcare we currently have; the notion that it is least fair to not get anything at all.

    But alas, this scenario currently does not exist; everyone in this country actually can get some form of care, so not getting any is a false choice.

    I would like to see one example where someone shows up at a hospital needing critical care and being turned away. I would like to see one example where someone who showed up at a clinic that caters to the poor turned away for a mammogram or blood test.

    There is nothing wrong with expecting someone to pay, or someone to donate their time, to care for the needy. There is something patently wrong when Liberals attempt to force all tax payers to shoulder the burden in an effort to pander for votes.

  4. #94
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    It is not. We pay for other services this way. Education for example
    And so I ask again:
    How does having a right to something equate to the right to have the means to exercise that right provided to you by others?


    Naturally you can complain until you are blue in the face. You pay dues to belong to this particular country club called the U.S. You don't get these privileges for nothing. Democracy confers legitimacy as to how those dues are allocated.
    Unsurprisingly, you're avoiding my questions and standing on your Argumentum ad populum argument, which is inherently unsound.

    So, if that's the best you have, your argument, being inherently unsound, necessarily fails.

  5. #95
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    MHO is insurance did a lot of damage cost-wise, but it probably also made us have more dollars to invest in all these fancy state of the art hospitals and so forth, so you take the good with the bad.

    Again, just an opinion, but government intervention in this rabid dog was inevitable. All people should be able to pay for healthcare out of pocket and that will never be possible, and it never was. I still have tonsils cause my mom couldn't pay for the surgery. Does anybody know how sick I used to get with ear infections and my mom would call the pharmacist and beg for a couple penicillan pills? No kidding. I have crooked teeth because mom couldn't afford braces, but all my friends had insurance, so they had straight teeth. Teeth make a big difference in one's appearance.

    I'd like to hear from people in their 50's on this one, and those who had insurance and those who didn't. Big difference when you have a dad with a fairly good job.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    MHO is insurance did a lot of damage cost-wise, but it probably also made us have more dollars to invest in all these fancy state of the art hospitals and so forth, so you take the good with the bad.

    Again, just an opinion, but government intervention in this rabid dog was inevitable. All people should be able to pay for healthcare out of pocket and that will never be possible, and it never was. I still have tonsils cause my mom couldn't pay for the surgery. Does anybody know how sick I used to get with ear infections and my mom would call the pharmacist and beg for a couple penicillan pills? No kidding. I have crooked teeth because mom couldn't afford braces, but all my friends had insurance, so they had straight teeth. Teeth make a big difference in one's appearance.

    I'd like to hear from people in their 50's on this one, and those who had insurance and those who didn't. Big difference when you have a dad with a fairly good job.
    I am in my 50s, never had my tonsils out nor braces and I was entitled to Government healthcare being a military brat overseas.

    ::shrugs::

    This notion that Americans cannot afford the expense of insurance is false; they CHOOSE not to pay for it and now many think that they can get the Government to confiscate the wealth of others to pay for them so that they can spend it on new cars, the latest big screen TV and $100 tennis shoes.

    This debate should be about choice, competition and the FACT that Government can't manage their own budget let alone something as complex as the nation’s healthcare system.

    It is almost hysterical when Obama falsely claims that much of the cost of his program will be over 500 billion in savings from Medicare by making it more efficient; the whole program has been budgeted at $420 billion for 2009. In other words, Government will be so effective Medicare will not only cost NOTHING, but actually make a profit.

    My question to liars like Obama is this; if you can seriously pull out $500 billion in costs for Medicare, why don’t we do that instead and balance the Federal budget?
    Last edited by Truth Detector; 09-17-09 at 03:41 PM.

  7. #97
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This notion that Americans cannot afford the expense of insurance is false; they CHOOSE not to pay for it and now many think that they can get the Government to confiscate the wealth of others to pay for them so that they can spend it on new cars, the latest big screen TV and $100 tennis shoes.
    This is actually quite true. With the premise in mind, exactly how rational are consumers? If the answer is not very rational, a market model for health care will face some serious limitations, as the market pricing mechanism is based on consumer rationality.

    This debate should be about choice, competition and the FACT that Government can't manage their own budget let alone something as complex as the nation’s healthcare system.
    You should rephrase that. Government won't manage their own budget due to the pressure to get re-elected. You can say that spending needs to be cut, which could be valid on a plethora of issues, but the other side of the coin is responsibility. If government is going to spend, they will have to pull in revenue somehow.

    It is almost hysterical when Obama falsely claims that much of the cost of his program will be over 500 billion in savings from Medicare by making it more efficient; the whole program has been budgeted at $420 billion for 2009. In other words, Government will be so effective Medicare will not only cost NOTHING, but actually make a profit.
    It is based of the ten year aggregate mean. I highly doubt he stated it would be a yearly savings, but then again i could be mistaken.

    My question to liars like Obama is this; if you can seriously pull out $500 billion in costs for Medicare, why don’t we do that instead and balance the Federal budget?
    Would you dare him to raise taxes
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #98
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    And if the majority of people in a country decide that rounding up all Jews and putting them in concentration camps is a good idea, does that make it justified?
    Yo Godwin I know you makin your law, and I'ma let you finish, but Murphy had one of the best laws of all time.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is actually quite true. With the premise in mind, exactly how rational are consumers? If the answer is not very rational, a market model for health care will face some serious limitations, as the market pricing mechanism is based on consumer rationality.

    You should rephrase that. Government won't manage their own budget due to the pressure to get re-elected. You can say that spending needs to be cut, which could be valid on a plethora of issues, but the other side of the coin is responsibility. If government is going to spend, they will have to pull in revenue somehow.

    It is based of the ten year aggregate mean. I highly doubt he stated it would be a yearly savings, but then again i could be mistaken.

    Would you dare him to raise taxes
    You're starting to make sense; who has taken over Goldenboy’s forum name?

    I will address two things here:

    (1) It is based of the ten year aggregate mean.

    I believe you may be correct, my argument stands however that the figures are nothing more than fabricated numbers in an effort to dis-inform gullible taxpayers into supporting a program few support.

    (2) Would you dare him to raise taxes

    On this comment I want to be VERY clear so that there is NO doubt; my argument has always been that if the Democrats are going to spend us into a $1.6 trillion deficit on pork laden projects that pander to voters and do nothing to expand the economy and lower unemployment, then they MUST raise the necessary taxes to pay for them.

    Democrats LIED to the American people claiming they would pay as they go and be fiscally responsible to get elected. It is time for them to step up to the plate and let their actions match their rhetoric regardless of the political and economic consequences of their rabid stupidity.

    Secondly, Democrats railed about Bush's tax cuts for 8 years claiming that the only PROPER action was to RAISE taxes. Now they irresponsibly spend future generations of Americans into debt without a single honest dialogue as to how they will pay for their largess.

    Yes, I double dawg DARE them to raise the taxes necessary to pay for their irresponsible spending and stand behind their partisan rhetoric and promises they made to the Ameircan people when they denigrated the Bush Adminstration for behavior that pales in comparison.

  10. #100
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Unfair Practices in Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Denial of goods and services due to inability to pay is the societal norm, one common across virtually all societies.
    Why should health care be an exception?
    For one, the denial of goods and services may not be directly detrimental to your health if those goods and services are not emergency services. The denial of health care is detrimental, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And so, someone else should be forced shoulder the burden to provide you the means to live?
    How does your right to life trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?
    Not only should we, but i'd argue that we have a moral obligation to do just that. Let's say that you were suffering from a disease that carried a mortality rate of 99% if left untreated, yet survivability increased to 100% if you had access to medical treatment. Should I let you die if you cannot afford to be medically treated simply because I want more money in my back pocket? I would say 'no' - hence my answer to your poll question.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Is it immoral to force others to pay for the goods and services you receive?
    How does your 'right' to health care trump their right to keep the fruits of their labor?
    Goods and services, yes. But what about emergency services? Should, say, the fire department refuse to save your child trapped in a burning building if they discovered your domicile is uninsured? You see what i'm driving at. Refusing health care to those who cannot pay is akin to denying every individual who cannot afford it the right to life should they become sick, and I am not comfortable with that.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •