View Poll Results: Do white people have an opinion on ethnic hairstyles

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • As long as said ethnic hairstyle looks kept, I don't care

    52 37.68%
  • I think ethnic hairstyles such as afros and dreadlocks are unprofessional

    11 7.97%
  • I think straight hair looks better on black women

    9 6.52%
  • I've never even gave it a thought

    74 53.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 126

Thread: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

  1. #81
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    We've heard from Hatuey (hope he contributes more). Would be nice to hear from Laila, Blackdog, bhkad, Dark Wizard, etc.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Because systematic racism still exists in our culture, and there is a constant and subtle societal pressure on black women to alter their natural appearance and attempt to emulate white women.
    I think the effect of intermarriage between blacks and whites is changing styles too.

    Lightness and darkness of skin color and facial features is still a status issue among people of color.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Because systematic racism still exists in our culture, and there is a constant and subtle societal pressure on black women to alter their natural appearance and attempt to emulate white women.
    What you are referring to sounds like internalized oppression.


    "External oppression is the unjust exercise of authority and power by one group over another. It includes imposing one group's belief system, values and life ways over another group.

    External oppression becomes internalized oppression when we come to believe and act as if the oppressor's beliefs system, values, and life way is reality."

    Internalized Oppression
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 09-05-09 at 12:34 PM.

  4. #84
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I am not tedious with my grooming. I can't help the fact I was blessed with beautiful curly hair, soft brown skin and a great body. I can't. It's all in the DNA.
    It really is all about the DNA. Some people are 55 and look 35 without ever trying.

    And even if I wasn't Afros are a sign of the motherland. Ghetto.

    I guess it's to each his own. I don't associate afros with being ghetto. To me, they're natural and I like the natural look. That's not to say I don't like other looks, hair that is processed, colored, etc. because I do.

    The picture you posted of the woman in the afro? I think she's beautiful and her hair is lovely. You say potato and I say pahtahto.




    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  5. #85
    Educator
    Mika-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    quantum paradox
    Last Seen
    09-25-12 @ 06:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    In the blogworld ppl are commenting on Michelles hair at different events and it sparked this question. If Michelle wore her hair with an afro and a headband, or had manicured locs, or didn't have a relaxer, or didn't use heat, would the world look at her differently? Would people automatically assume she doen't take pride in her appearance?
    I am a man I know sweet f..all about this subject. But I can tell you as a white guy (actually pinkish-green/grey) my wife who I have been married to for twenty years who is Jamaican always is complemented by white women on her locks.

    Me I am losing my hair. I only seem to grow it in my nose or ears now. Its not fair.

    I am no expert but I know my wife has been insulted by black women not white women on her hair. They make some pretty wierd rude comments. But that is just what I have observed and it may mean nothing. If you ask me it seems there is tension between black women who keep their hair natural and the ones who straighten their hair. But I really do not know. Usually when they get into that stuff, I quickly leave. I do not have enough hair to offer an
    opinion. I guess I would like my wife even if she was bald.

  6. #86
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,200

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    I'm a white guy who is raising his biracial niece. She has african-american hair. Without frying her hair, there aren't too many options. African-american hair is totally different than other ethnicities' hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #87
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mika-El View Post
    I guess I would like my wife even if she was bald.


    I'm sure your wife appreciates it Mika!


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    I think this entire issue is ridiculous.
    I straighten my hair, my hair is naturally curly but i prefer it straightened. I do not think i emulate white females nor do i believe we are secretly oppressed by them. I look fine with or without curly hair and i have been insulted more by black women than i have any other race for "acting white". What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?
    I do not like afros personally, i too find them unprofessional in a work setting


  9. #89
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,200

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mika-El View Post
    I guess I would like my wife even if she was bald.
    I like it when my wife is bald on her legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    I guess it's to each his own. I don't associate afros with being ghetto.
    This is one of the few times I wish I had college, or some sort of formal education. It's frustrating not having the right words to describe what I see.

    Hatuey makes an analogy where he compares afros with mohawks.

    Yet afros are what happens to black people's hair when they don't do anything to it, ie it's the natural state of their hair.
    What is considered "radical" among black people is merely looking natural. All they have to do to be considered "radical", "ghetto", subversive, iconoclastic, and possibly dangerous to the established order of things is not process their hair so that it looks like white people's hair. All they have to do is be their natural selves, to be considered radical.

    Whereas white people have to alter themselves to extreme degrees- mohawks, unnaturally colored hair dye, piercings, tattoos- in order to achieve this same "outsider" status. Just going around looking natural and "unprocessed" is not enough, at least not since the 1960s.

    This reminds me for some reason of Freud, and his studies of turn-of-the-century women and girls which caused him to develop the theory of "penis envy"; the theory that all girls, at a certain age, feel inferior because they realize they don't have penises and never will.
    Freud never realized that this phenomenon was a product of the time and place he lived, that he was seeing it through the lens of the intensely patriarchal society he operated in. Girls felt inferior and depressed when they got old enough to realize that their society considered them inferior because they lacked penises, and that they would never have the same rights or status as their contemporaries who had penises.
    It was not the physical organ they envied; it was the acceptance and power this organ bestowed. They didn't want penises, they wanted equality. They wanted to be accepted fully as valuable members of the society they lived in, and they knew they never would, because of what they had (or more to the point, what they lacked) between their legs.

    Do you see the correlation I'm trying to draw here?
    I'm sorry I don't have the education to say this better.
    If blacks (as well as whites) think "processed", unnatural hair looks better on other blacks, it may not be a purely aesthetic preference. It may be subconsciously influenced by the fact that whites in our society have historically been the privileged and ruling class, and blacks have been the underprivileged and oppressed class.
    People view everything through the lens of the social context it exists in.
    I'm only asking people to try to remove the lens and look at it objectively.
    I think it's really important that we do so.
    Why would black people in their natural state be considered unacceptable ("unprofessional", "radical", "ghetto", etc), while white people are encouraged to remain as close to their natural state as possible in order to be "socially acceptable"?
    Do you understand at ALL what I'm trying to say>?
    Last edited by 1069; 09-05-09 at 12:58 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •