View Poll Results: Do white people have an opinion on ethnic hairstyles

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • As long as said ethnic hairstyle looks kept, I don't care

    52 37.68%
  • I think ethnic hairstyles such as afros and dreadlocks are unprofessional

    11 7.97%
  • I think straight hair looks better on black women

    9 6.52%
  • I've never even gave it a thought

    74 53.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 126

Thread: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

  1. #51
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Who are these little black girls who feel like this because i have never met one.
    Straight hair = easy to manage. Curly hair is a bitch to keep under control.
    It is a fact and there have even been shows about it. One woman even wrote a book for young girls that is all about loving their hair. I cannot think of the name of it right now though.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #52
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    Strawman.



    Pretty and professional are two different things, did I defend forcing kids to have certain hair?

    I wouldnt want Mohawks, paysas, wierd color hair, Sikh head gear in a professional setting either.
    You still did not explain WHY you feel that Afros and braids do not belong in a professional setting. Tell me your reason?
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  3. #53
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It does. If the most you do to your hair every morning is grab a pick and start combing it out it's safe to say you are ghetto as ****.

    - Half black man.
    Afros take some work and a lot of times people put oil on their scalp even with an afro to keep it soft.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  4. #54
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,046

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Afros take some work and a lot of times people put oil on their scalp even with an afro to keep it soft.
    G.h.e.t.t.o.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #55
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,046

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    Yeah but you're pretty fastidious about your grooming habits. I don't think an afro would ever be acceptable to you because of who you are and the expectations you have for yourself.
    I am not tedious with my grooming. I can't help the fact I was blessed with beautiful curly hair, soft brown skin and a great body. I can't. It's all in the DNA. However I do add to it by making sure my body doesn't completely annihilate itself. I eat healthy. I exercise. And even if I wasn't Afros are a sign of the motherland. Ghetto.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #56
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    I don't really give it any thought. I've never noticed Michelle's hair. Actually, I've never noticed Michelle, for that matter. I don't give a **** what she wears or how she parts her hair.

    That said, when I consider the options... I'll have to say trimmed fros are okay, but big fros are just... bleh. On men or women. I love braids and dreads though. LOVE them. I have always wished that I could pull off either style. And I think that when women over-style their hair, no matter their race, it's unattractive.

  7. #57
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    Oh puh-lease. This isn't a race issue. I don't know a single woman over the age of 25 who doesn't color, highlight, straighten or perm their hair.

    I'd venture to guess that at least half the men over the age of 50 have used either a grecian formula type of hair dye or some sort of rogaine type of product.

    It's called grooming.
    I've never colored my hair, or straightened it. I haven't had a perm in it since I graduated high school 20 years ago. I get highlights occasionally. Like, once every 5 years or so.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It does. If the most you do to your hair every morning is grab a pick and start combing it out it's safe to say you are ghetto as ****.

    - Half black man.
    LMFAO

    I brush my hair with a vent brush in the morning. That's it. It's rare that I even look in a mirror in the morning.

    Sometimes I put on a baseball cap. (Actually, up here in Alaska working out in the rain everyday, I put on a ballcap everyday)

    I'm just "ghetto" like that.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 09-04-09 at 11:58 PM.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    It seems that it's being suggested on this thread that black women can't look professional if they don't process their hair, or change it to an extreme and unnatural degree.

    What looks "professional" is a matter of opinion, and if this is the prevailing opinion, then it needs to change. Now. Because it's racist and discriminatory.
    Assertions to the contrary notwithstanding, white women do not generally treat and process their hair; there is certainly no unspoken social dictum that they must do so in order to look "professional".
    I don't do much of anything to my hair; neither do most white or hispanic women I know. There's nothing "unprofessional" about natural straight or wavy hair, unless it's hanging in one's eyes or is grotesquely long, greasy, or unkempt.
    Therefore, there is nothing "unprofessional" about natural African-American hair.
    This is merely a prejudice that white-dominated society suffers from, and that they need to make an effort to overcome.

  9. #59
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    G.h.e.t.t.o.
    Stop Hating!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,046

    Re: Do white people care how black women wear their hair?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    It seems that it's being suggested on this thread that black women can't look professional if they don't process their hair, or change it to an extreme and unnatural degree.

    What looks "professional" is a matter of opinion, and if this is the prevailing opinion, then it needs to change. Now. Because it's racist and discriminatory.
    Assertions to the contrary notwithstanding, white women do not generally treat and process their hair; there is certainly no unspoken social dictum that they must do so in order to look "professional".
    I don't do much of anything to my hair; neither do most white or hispanic women I know. There's nothing "unprofessional" about natural straight or wavy hair, unless it's hanging in one's eyes or is grotesquely long, greasy, or unkempt.
    Therefore, there is nothing "unprofessional" about natural African-American hair.
    This is merely a prejudice that white-dominated society suffers from, and that they need to make an effort to overcome.
    Ummmm there isn't anything racist about considering an afro to be unprofessional. I consider it unprofessional and so do a lot of people. Some hairstyles are simply not professional or aesthetically pleasing regardless of who wears them. If a white guy came into an office with a mohawk it would be unprofessional. It has absolutely nothing to do with race. It has to do with what is aesthetically pleasing and what isn't. 'Afros' aren't aesthetically pleasing outside of phone company commercials or those for Viagra. Dreads are gross. And so is that nasty **** Asian guys do with their hair. You know the ridiculous curve on their hair that looks like something Tony Hawk could do a 360 off.

    I'll give examples :

    Professional :



    Unprofessional :



    Professional :



    Unprofessional :



    Nothing to do with race. Just what looks good in a professional environment and what doesn't.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-05-09 at 02:35 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •