View Poll Results: Are Republicans against ALL forms of healthcare reform?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 44.00%
  • No

    22 44.00%
  • other

    6 12.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

  1. #21
    Student MikeVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VT
    Last Seen
    01-24-12 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    276

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    The GOP supports their "reform" and not much else.
    I'm sorry, they should be more open minded, like the liberals. How dare they stand by what they think is right for the country.

  2. #22
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVFF View Post
    It is a fact that many GOP representatives support reform in ways other than introducing a public option (ie. TORT reform).

    (If you cant tell from my post, i chose NO)

    Addition: I just wanted to add something that may be irrelevant; Why am I seeing so many polls that ask questions that are already answered with facts? Are we really so thick that we now look for answers to rhetorical questions?
    Tort reform, while I agree should be part of the healthcare bill, amounts to less than 1% of the costs of healthcare. You can reform it all day long and it isn't going to amount to much of anything on its own.
    If THAT is the GOP's answer, that explains why they have become such an insignificant party these days.

    I think their other grand idea was "Try to reduce the costs of medical school".
    Last edited by disneydude; 09-03-09 at 09:05 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #23
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVFF View Post
    I'm sorry, they should be more open minded, like the liberals. How dare they stand by what they think is right for the country.
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. I did not mean that they do what's right by them, but that they simply keep things at status quo. And at present, the status quo is not favorable for the country as a whole.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #24
    Student MikeVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VT
    Last Seen
    01-24-12 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    276

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. I did not mean that they do what's right by them, but that they simply keep things at status quo. And at present, the status quo is not favorable for the country as a whole.
    This is because they currently have no power to change anything. And keeping things the way they are is a MUCH BETTER option then diving into a flawed bill.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Tort reform, while I agree should be part of the healthcare bill, amounts to less than 1% of the costs of healthcare. You can reform it all day long and it isn't going to amount to much of anything on its own.
    While I (and i'm assuming almost none of you) am not an expert on the matter, if Tort reform was done years ago, healthcare costs wouldnt be where they are now. While some are justified, there are many outrageous lawsuits that have resulted in inflation of heath care. It may be too late to prevent the current inflation due to these suits, it must be stopped. TORT reform MUST HAPPEN.

    If THAT is the GOP's answer, that explains why they have become such an insignificant party these days.
    Thats definitely the cause, there are no other factors

    I think their other grand idea was "Try to reduce the costs of medical school".
    Yeah what a terrible idea. God forbid those with less money get the opportunity to become doctors, even if they have the potential to contribute to the medical field. More doctors definitely wouldn't help health insurance drop. [/SARCASM]
    Last edited by MikeVFF; 09-03-09 at 09:29 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVFF View Post
    This is because they currently have no power to change anything. And keeping things the way they are is a MUCH BETTER option then diving into a flawed bill.



    While I (and i'm assuming almost none of you) am not an expert on the matter, if Tort reform was done years ago, healthcare costs wouldnt be where they are now. While some are justified, there are many outrageous lawsuits that have resulted in inflation of heath care. It may be too late to prevent the current inflation due to these suits, it must be stopped. TORT reform MUST HAPPEN.



    Thats definitely the cause, there are no other factors



    Yeah what a terrible idea. God forbid those with less money get the opportunity to become doctors, even if they have the potential to contribute to the medical field. More doctors definitely wouldn't help health insurance drop. [/SARCASM]
    Tort reform greatly reducing the costs of healthcare is a myth. The costs of lawsuits amounts to less than 1% of all costs involved in healthcare.
    While I agree that it should be a part of any package, it is not going to greatly reduce the costs of healthcare.....which is also what I was inferring in reducing the costs of medical school.
    Of course, everyone would love to reduce the costs for medical students, but if you think that this is going to account for much more that a drop in a bucket for reducing the costs of healthcare, you are sadly mistaken.

    What is driving up the high costs of healthcare are the billions that are paid out to corporate CEO's of insurance companies and drug companies.
    You are not going to do anything to reduce the costs of healthcare until you address those two issues.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #26
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Tort reform, while I agree should be part of the healthcare bill, amounts to less than 1% of the costs of healthcare. You can reform it all day long and it isn't going to amount to much of anything on its own.
    If THAT is the GOP's answer, that explains why they have become such an insignificant party these days.
    Same response to Southern Democrat. I'd go farther, but it would help significantly. While the costs of lawsuits themselves are reletively small, this ignores the defensive medicine that goes on to prevent a risk of these lawsuits. Also, that isn't their entire idea of reform

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I think their other grand idea was "Try to reduce the costs of medical school".
    Your party has plenty of "grand ideas" as well

  7. #27
    Student MikeVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VT
    Last Seen
    01-24-12 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    276

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Tort reform greatly reducing the costs of healthcare is a myth. The costs of lawsuits amounts to less than 1% of all costs involved in healthcare.
    Really? You are saying the ridiculous cost of Liability insurance due to suites has only a measly 1% impact on healthcare? I would laugh watching you stumble trying to support that statement, but you wont, because you will just criticize what i have to say in this post instead of backing up your statement. Prove me wrong.

    While I agree that it should be a part of any package, it is not going to greatly reduce the costs of healthcare.....which is also what I was inferring in reducing the costs of medical school.
    Of course, everyone would love to reduce the costs for medical students, but if you think that this is going to account for much more that a drop in a bucket for reducing the costs of healthcare, you are sadly mistaken.
    While it wont DIRECTLY drop the cost of healthcare, it will create many more doctors. More doctors wont drop the price of healthcare? Thats a dumb argument.

    What is driving up the high costs of healthcare are the billions that are paid out to corporate CEO's of insurance companies and drug companies.
    You are not going to do anything to reduce the costs of healthcare until you address those two issues.
    Two issues, I see one issue in your statement. and who is paying them these billions? Maybe if we got rid of taxes on healthcare then they would save these billions and wouldnt have to pay them. But the government is entitled that the money because, you know, they've earned it

  8. #28
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVFF View Post
    Really? You are saying the ridiculous cost of Liability insurance due to suites has only a measly 1% impact on healthcare? I would laugh watching you stumble trying to support that statement, but you wont, because you will just criticize what i have to say in this post instead of backing up your statement. Prove me wrong.



    While it wont DIRECTLY drop the cost of healthcare, it will create many more doctors. More doctors wont drop the price of healthcare? Thats a dumb argument.



    Two issues, I see one issue in your statement. and who is paying them these billions? Maybe if we got rid of taxes on healthcare then they would save these billions and wouldnt have to pay them. But the government is entitled that the money because, you know, they've earned it
    The fact is the liability insurance and costs of lawsuits amounts to less that 1% of the costs of healthcare.

    However...if you look at the post above, Drunken Asparagus actually makes a very good point and that is, there are larger costs associated with this and that is that amount of additional procedures which doctors undertake to avoid lawsuits. THAT is a very valid argument and actually would have a larger impact on reducing the costs of healthcare.

    This is why I say that Tort Reform absolutely should be part of any healthcare reform. But it cannot be the be all end all.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #29
    Student MikeVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VT
    Last Seen
    01-24-12 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    276

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The fact is the liability insurance and costs of lawsuits amounts to less that 1% of the costs of healthcare.

    However...if you look at the post above, Drunken Asparagus actually makes a very good point and that is, there are larger costs associated with this and that is that amount of additional procedures which doctors undertake to avoid lawsuits. THAT is a very valid argument and actually would have a larger impact on reducing the costs of healthcare.

    This is why I say that Tort Reform absolutely should be part of any healthcare reform. But it cannot be the be all end all.
    So, all in one post, you say tort reform would not drop costs, yet doctors raise costs by additional procedures to avoid civil suites. So explain to me how decreasing this fear of civil suites (tort reform), is not tort reform.

  10. #30
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do Republicans want to kill ALL healthcare reform?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVFF View Post
    So, all in one post, you say tort reform would not drop costs, yet doctors raise costs by additional procedures to avoid civil suites. So explain to me how decreasing this fear of civil suites (tort reform), is not tort reform.

    GO back and re-read....carefully this time. Nowhere do I say that decreasing the fear of civil suits (btw...not suites) is not tort reform.

    Drunken Asparagus actually raises a very good point. But your argument didn't address the same issues.

    Tort reform is a good part of any health reform package....but again, it cannot be the base because it simply is not going to make enough of an impact to make a difference without more.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •