View Poll Results: Should this band T-shirt have been pulled?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the parents and the district were right to be offended by this shirt.

    2 5.00%
  • No, there was nothing wrong with this shirt.

    38 95.00%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 76

Thread: school band T-shirt is pulled

  1. #61
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i think your poll questions are misleading. my take is that science is not offensive. but that's just me......
    How is my question misleading?
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Whether or not you agree with their beliefs, the shirt was offensive to some people.
    No, it wasn't.

    No one was offended by a parody of a theory, they took it, and used it as an opportunity to push their religious agenda back into schools.

    Don't bother peddling the line that anyone was offended. They saw an opportunity to make a stink, and that is the whole of it.

  3. #63
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Greeno View Post
    sorry about the spelling I have never been very good at it but I know that the Da Vinci code has nothing to do with evolution I am just saying that it goes in opposition to what I believe
    It's a book of fiction. How can it go against a belief?
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  4. #64
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    No, it wasn't.

    No one was offended by a parody of a theory, they took it, and used it as an opportunity to push their religious agenda back into schools.

    Don't bother peddling the line that anyone was offended. They saw an opportunity to make a stink, and that is the whole of it.
    That's a possibility, but I find it unlikely. In my experience anybody who actually gets upset by evolution is pretty damned easy to offend about issues that they perceive as pertaining to their religion. I don't see any reason to believe this is anything other than some pissy Christians getting all worked up over nothing.

  5. #65
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Has anyone seen the movie Jesus Camp? It was set in Missouri. I grew up in this area of the country, in a small town, and it was precisely this backward ass.
    No it wasn't. It's set in Devil's Lake, North Dakota.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Arrow Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    That's a possibility, but I find it unlikely. In my experience anybody who actually gets upset by evolution
    I strenuosly maintain my assertion that it is manufactured indignance.
    This was not about evolution's merits, but rather the use of the "concept" of evolving, applied to the changes and innovations in Brass Musical Instruments. There is no legitimate offense to take, because this common image associated with the theory was used in a metaphorical context. The shirt was about changes in musical instruments, not the origin of man.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They may, they'd be stupid there. That's a student choosing what he wants to wear on his own and as long as it doesn't violate a dress code its fine. However if they made that the band shirt that the band members had to wear for band events, then yes, they would probably be offended and demand the removal and would be in the right.
    What if the band members made it and all of them agreed (and actually wanted) to wear it? They are all still choosing to wear it on their own. Just like the one student. Just like the band in the OP agreed to wear their shirt. Which also didn't violate a dress code.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    SO we have an assistant superintendent that thinks that evolution is the same thing as religion. I find that frightening.
    Why even have an assistant superintendent ? Our education system has far too much bureaucracy..
    And a superintendent should know this difference between religion and science and just plain silliness..
    And BTW, no matter what is printed on a tee-shirt, some man is bound to be "offended".
    I say, ignore those in the minority, and let the student decide.

  9. #69
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    I strenuosly maintain my assertion that it is manufactured indignance.
    This was not about evolution's merits, but rather the use of the "concept" of evolving, applied to the changes and innovations in Brass Musical Instruments. There is no legitimate offense to take, because this common image associated with the theory was used in a metaphorical context. The shirt was about changes in musical instruments, not the origin of man.
    While your argument is quite reasonable and if applied to another group I'd agree without hesitation, I think you underestimate just how incredibly stupid some creationists are. Some of these people get offended when you discuss the evolution of math. These aren't reasonable people who use their brains on a regular basis.

    I think some people fall into sander's argument and some into your's on a national basis though.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #70
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    It's a book of fiction. How can it go against a belief?
    Fiction in that sense doesn't mean 'science fiction'. He's talking in the sense that the book makes reference to things which aren't true but are because of his books parroted by conspiracy loons worldwide. Dan Brown is probably one of the most intellectually dishonest writers around. There are a million things the Catholic church can be attacked on which are perfectly legitimate. WWII, child molestation being kept hush-hush, the fact that while millions of Catholics in South America live on less then a dollar a day, the Pope eats like a king and lives in a multibillion dollar estate. All these things? Perfectly legitimate. The books by Dan Brown are child's play and silly attacks at best.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •