View Poll Results: Should this band T-shirt have been pulled?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the parents and the district were right to be offended by this shirt.

    2 5.00%
  • No, there was nothing wrong with this shirt.

    38 95.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: school band T-shirt is pulled

  1. #21
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Well, I think the only right, sinsible thing to do is simply to have the band remove their clothing before marching past the thumpers.

    There would be nothing to object to, then.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Now ain't that just like Missourah?

  3. #23
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Well, I think the only right, sinsible thing to do is simply to have the band remove their clothing before marching past the thumpers.

    There would be nothing to object to, then.
    That's kinda dangerous, don't you think? Thumpers attract worms, and having the band remove their suits leaves them at the mercy of the desert of Arrakis. They'd be dead in a matter of hours if the worms didn't get them first.

    Oh wait...I think I read your post wrong!

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Whether or not you agree with their beliefs, the shirt was offensive to some people. I disagree that it's a first ammendment issue (science is not religion, and is not opposed to religion - it's just science), but why put an image on a school shirt that parents find offensive?
    So what if it's offensive to some people. I'm sure that some people consider Mardi Gras to be offensive. Is that ever stopped though? I'm also pretty sure that two men having sex is offensive to some people also. Should we stop that also?

    Point being is that just because some may find it offensive doesn't mean that it should be stopped. Read my second sig line.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #25
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So what if it's offensive to some people. I'm sure that some people consider Mardi Gras to be offensive. Is that ever stopped though? I'm also pretty sure that two men having sex is offensive to some people also. Should we stop that also?

    Point being is that just because some may find it offensive doesn't mean that it should be stopped. Read my second sig line.
    I agree with everything you posted. It's different when a school is selling an item that the parents deem offensive, though. If somebody wants to sell a shirt that says "LOL, 9/11!" with a picture of Obama pulling a swastika out of a raccoon's ass, I don't think anything should stand in their way. I just don't think it's appropriate for a school to be producing.

    If the parents find something a school produces offensive the school doesn't have to pull it, but if they do I don't have a problem with that decision.

  6. #26
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    I am offended by all school shirts containing any numbers or mathematical signs on them. My religion denies the existence of math. I fully expect all schools to comply with my wishes and stop making these shirts.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #27
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Dumb? Yes. But a teacher not wanting something associated with schools that is entirely associated with schools to begin with just reeks of irony. Her discipline is irrelevant; as a teacher, she knows better. Rather, she should know better (she's a teacher, after all). Hence, the nice thick slice of irony that she choked on in my hypothetical example.
    If it were associated with schools that much this wouldn't be an issue at all. She can have whatever opinions she likes about the issue. But if she were someone that was trained in it then I could see. This isn't really irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  8. #28
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    If somebody wants to sell a shirt that says "LOL, 9/11!" with a picture of Obama pulling a swastika out of a raccoon's ass, I don't think anything should stand in their way.
    That would just be hilarious. You should CafePress that.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #29
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    If it were associated with schools that much this wouldn't be an issue at all. She can have whatever opinions she likes about the issue. But if she were someone that was trained in it then I could see. This isn't really irony.
    Actually it is. You learn about the theory of Evolution in school, so the subject is associated closely with that institution. A teacher - any teacher - knows that it is taught there in a biology class, in the same way that math is taught in math class, history in history class, etc. For a teacher to believe that something entirely associated with the institution to begin with should not be associated with it, that's pure, unadulterated irony. That's like a teacher not wanting a school to be associated with the theory of gravity, or European history. The teacher's discipline is irrelevant. He/she is a teacher, and knows better. Or rather, they should know better. Hence, my example is textbook irony.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: school band T-shirt is pulled

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    I agree with everything you posted. It's different when a school is selling an item that the parents deem offensive, though. If somebody wants to sell a shirt that says "LOL, 9/11!" with a picture of Obama pulling a swastika out of a raccoon's ass, I don't think anything should stand in their way. I just don't think it's appropriate for a school to be producing.

    If the parents find something a school produces offensive the school doesn't have to pull it, but if they do I don't have a problem with that decision.
    I doubt that anyone would stand in their way. That is an example that no doubt the majority would find offensive and because of that would be deemed as appropriate for removal. But this is not the case with this school band shirt. It was a few people that didn't like it. Not the majority.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •