View Poll Results: Should healthcare insurance be mandatory for everyone?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Explain please.

    14 28.00%
  • No. Explain please.

    36 72.00%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 112

Thread: Healthcare mandatory?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Thus, in a society like ours, you know, where most people have a conscience, its perfectly reasonable to require individuals that choose to live here to at least carry some sort of a minimal catastrophic policy....
    Fairly good post. Except for the part that I have quoted. Not everyone can "choose" where they live. Not everyone has the ability or money to move to a different country. Which is basically what you are saying. So you condemn those people to pay for something which they can't afford, and which charges them for simply living. Where's your "conscience" now?

    I really wish that people wouldn't base their abilities to do something on everyone else.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #72
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Fairly good post. Except for the part that I have quoted. Not everyone can "choose" where they live. Not everyone has the ability or money to move to a different country. Which is basically what you are saying. So you condemn those people to pay for something which they can't afford, and which charges them for simply living. Where's your "conscience" now?
    I think it's generally implied when discussing health care mandates that they would be coupled with some kind of assistance for those who can't afford it. In the current health care debate, I have never heard anyone who believes that health care should be mandatory but no assistance should be given.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-01-09 at 12:56 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #73
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    If healthcare is not mandatory, then those who refuse to get it, and cannot pay for services, should be denied
    Only problem with that part of the sentence is that millions who show up at emergency rooms every year can not by law be denied treatment. When some guy shows up with a bullet 4 inches from his heart in an emergency room at a hospital, and I say when because this happens every year in America, do you think hospitals should be allowed to deny him treatment because he doesn't have insurance? Do you know how big a lawsuit would follow if that happened? How many lawyers are ready with enough knowledge of the law to go for the first hospital to even try such a thing? The first part of your sentence I don't think would even be possible.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #74
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So what is your answer to my other question: If they decide to do nothing, and it turns out he did have health insurance, can his family sue the hospital?
    No. Why should they be able to?

    What if he dies? You want to stick the hospital with the bill?
    The bill then goes to the estate. If they estate cannot pay, then the hospital is stuck with it. As noted before, if the hospital cannot determine the patients ability to pay and they treat him anywway, they assume the risk of non-payment.

    An unusual position, coming from someone who wants to saddle individual hospitals with individual debts that they didn't ask for, instead of spreading the cost out amongst the public.
    Strawman. See above. Be sure to read the part where I state "if the hospital cannot determine the patients ability to pay and they treat him anywway, they assume the risk of non-payment".

    Beyond that, I'll assume that since you didnt otherwise address the rest of what I wrote in that paragraph, you cannot do so.

    It is true, as you are STILL refusing to consider the practical consequences even after I pointed them out to you.
    Obviously not.

  5. #75
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Since we live in a society where the vast majority of us have a conscience...
    It doesn't matter how often you repeat your spiel here, your position has been addressed, and you have done nothing to counter the arguments that addrsss it. As such, your position remains untenable.

  6. #76
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    The Emergency Department cannot turn anyone away based on their ability or inability to pay. It's illegal.
    You havent kept up with the diuscussion.

  7. #77
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    It doesn't matter how often you repeat your spiel here, your position has been addressed, and you have done nothing to counter the arguments that addrsss it. As such, your position remains untenable.
    No its just reality. You can invent some fantasy world where its "untenable" if you like though.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #78
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No its just reality. You can invent some fantasy world where its "untenable" if you like though.
    Its just reality that your position is untenable.
    The fact that you cannot do anythig other than repeat your position, rather than actuall address the argument that negates it, is proof.

  9. #79
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Fairly good post. Except for the part that I have quoted. Not everyone can "choose" where they live. Not everyone has the ability or money to move to a different country. Which is basically what you are saying. So you condemn those people to pay for something which they can't afford, and which charges them for simply living. Where's your "conscience" now?

    I really wish that people wouldn't base their abilities to do something on everyone else.
    For those that cannot afford a basic catastrophic policy I think it's nearly universally accepted that they should get some financial assistance. I think its more of a question of responsibility than "charging someone for living".
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #80
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: Healthcare mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Its just reality that your position is untenable.
    The fact that you cannot do anythig other than repeat your position, rather than actuall address the argument that negates it, is proof.
    Its an observation, not a position. For example, if you were trying to argue that we would be better off if we did not have to conform to the laws of gravity, and someone responded that gravity is a physical law of the universe and there is nothing you can do about it, then they are not just "repeating their position", but rather they are just stating a reality that you are unwilling to accept.

    The reality in this case that you are unwilling to accept is that we both as individuals and as a society find it unconscionable for anyone to be denied life saving treatment even if they can't pay for it. That is just the way it is, and you are going to have to accept it.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •