Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Is that racism?

  1. #31
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So even though he kept the term after knowing it was racist, because he says he is not, it's OK? I see.
    I never said that. a simple apology could make everything better, but I cannot judge correctly since I don't know the whole scenario.

  2. #32
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,205

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    But now you know and you continue to say it is not racist when it is.
    I have no problem with saying that it is racist when applied towards blacks.
    I'm saying that it has no racist meaning if it is applied generally to an individual, without knowing his race.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #33
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by youknowwho View Post
    I never said that. a simple apology could make everything better, but I cannot judge correctly since I don't know the whole scenario.
    I understand, and he had the chance and did nothing. Then he continued to support it even after I tried to apologies finding out he was from Israel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #34
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I have no problem with saying that it is racist when applied towards blacks.
    I'm saying that it has no racist meaning if it is applied generally to an individual, without knowing his race.
    Than after the persons race is known and they apologies as I did, you should have done the same. Instead you continued and said because it was not originally racist, it can't be and you stick by it.

    If someone called me a nigger not knowing my race, and then said well I did not know he was black so I stand by him being a nigger, would it be OK?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 08-28-09 at 01:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #35
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,205

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I understand, and he had the chance and did nothing. Then he continued to support it even after I tried to apologies finding out he was from Israel.
    'Support' it is a wrong use of the word.
    I stood by the insult, I did however suggest to change the insult from an ape to pig to make things easier, if I remember correctly.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  6. #36
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,205

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Than after the persons race is known and they apologies as I did, you should have done the same. Instead you continued and said because it was not originally racist, it is can't be and you stick by it.
    True, and there's nothing wrong in saying this.
    If it is not originally racist, there's no reason for me to take it back.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  7. #37
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Is that racism?

    I can see no reason why someone should support an insult for any reason.

  8. #38
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    True, and there's nothing wrong in saying this.
    If it is not originally racist, there's no reason for me to take it back.
    If someone called me a nigger not knowing my race, and then said well I did not know he was black so I stand by him being a nigger, would it be OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    rac⋅ism  /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA

    –noun

    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

    You are wrong.
    And this is why so many don't consider themselves racist or making racist statements. Consider this. By claiming that the person is racist which is considered a bad thing and "below acceptable societal standards" then claiming the person is a racist for no valid reason is a way of telling them that they are not as good as "you". ("you" is used generally here and not directed at anyone in particular.) Because of this my statement would be correct as it still fits in the defination of racism.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #40
    Cànan a' Gàidheal
    Anima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Coast of Scotland
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Is that racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    The situation is this:
    One guy calls another person an ape in the internet, without visibly seeing him.
    This person then reveals to the other guy that he is black, and then continues to accuse the other guy of racism for calling him an ape.
    The first guy explains that he didn't know that the other person was black, but that he would not change his mind, because he made the comment without knowing what the second person's race was, and changing it once knowing what his race is would be wrong.
    The second guy claims that he is still racist because he did not change his opinion once he was informed about the race.

    Now my question is this:
    Is the first guy a racist?

    Edit: Please add a poll, and make it public.
    I wouldn't call the first guy racist, but I would call him insensitive. Once he found out the second guys race, and the associations which the word "ape" holds with regards to black people, he should have apologised and stopped using the word. If he continues to use it, he's out of line.
    "I'll govern for all the ambitions of Scotland, and for all of the people who imagine that we can live in a better land. This party, the Scottish party, your party, carries your hope, and we shall carry it carefully, and make the nation proud."
    Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, Scottish National Party

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •