View Poll Results: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Multiculturalism is a good idea.

    9 20.45%
  • Multiculturalism is a bad idea.

    15 34.09%
  • Neither is a good idea.

    1 2.27%
  • Both are a good idea.

    3 6.82%
  • Assimilation is a good idea.

    15 34.09%
  • Assimilation is a bad idea.

    0 0%
  • Something else (please explain).

    1 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

  1. #1
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    I have personally never been a fan of "multiculturalism" as a social decision-making guideline, as I feel it is one of social ideas out there which is completely bad, with no good aspects to it at all.

    I prefer the social idea sometimes referred to as "the melting pot” or as I like to call it: Assimilation.

    At least if the goal of your social decisions is to bring a community into a closer and more intertwined relationship with each other.

    Multiculturalism, in my mind, can accomplish this on a small scale, by supporting or promoting an "us against them" mentality.

    Assimilation, on the other hand, (at least in my opinion) is a far better option.

    While it may blur the lines and even cause the loss of some aspects of the former culture and society which a person entering it used to have...That is the goal, at least if you are attempting to produce a society along the lines of that I described above.

    In my mind, only if the entire world is assimilated into one single culture (or at least the majority of it) will actual world peace/harmony/whatever result.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #2
    Cànan a' Gàidheal
    Anima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Coast of Scotland
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I have personally never been a fan of "multiculturalism" as a social decision-making guideline, as I feel it is one of social ideas out there which is completely bad, with no good aspects to it at all.

    I prefer the social idea sometimes referred to as "the melting pot” or as I like to call it: Assimilation.

    At least if the goal of your social decisions is to bring a community into a closer and more intertwined relationship with each other.

    Multiculturalism, in my mind, can accomplish this on a small scale, by supporting or promoting an "us against them" mentality.

    Assimilation, on the other hand, (at least in my opinion) is a far better option.

    While it may blur the lines and even cause the loss of some aspects of the former culture and society which a person entering it used to have...That is the goal, at least if you are attempting to produce a society along the lines of that I described above.

    In my mind, only if the entire world is assimilated into one single culture (or at least the majority of it) will actual world peace/harmony/whatever result.
    I disagree completely. It's quite possible to encourage better communication between various communities while each still has pride in their own cultural heritage and traditions. The world will never be "assimliated" and if it was, I don't think it'd result in world peace at all; rather, fighting would continue over other issues, just as it does within nations where most citizens sare the same basic cultural background. We'd also lose the righness and variety that makes our world not only a rich and interesting place, but a moe informed one: by looking at various different societies, one can learn from their habits and practices and try and assess the effect of implementing similiar policies at home, or realise that such policies are flawed in application and therefore avoid gong down the same path.

    The approach to treating illness favoured by many Arab physicians in the Dark and Middle Ages (prescribing a healthy diet, cleaning wounds, applying poultices) influenced many English physicians of the time to move away from methods such as amputation of injured limbs and the puncture of diseased lungs. Seeing the social impact of China's "One Child Policy" shows us that such a policy cannot be successfully implemented without a great deal of error and suffering. Wuld we know such things if the world was one huge culturally homogenised mass?
    "I'll govern for all the ambitions of Scotland, and for all of the people who imagine that we can live in a better land. This party, the Scottish party, your party, carries your hope, and we shall carry it carefully, and make the nation proud."
    Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, Scottish National Party

  3. #3
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    I think a mixture of multiculturalism and assimilation is probably the best ideal.

  4. #4
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I have personally never been a fan of "multiculturalism" as a social decision-making guideline, as I feel it is one of social ideas out there which is completely bad, with no good aspects to it at all.

    I prefer the social idea sometimes referred to as "the melting pot” or as I like to call it: Assimilation.

    At least if the goal of your social decisions is to bring a community into a closer and more intertwined relationship with each other.

    Multiculturalism, in my mind, can accomplish this on a small scale, by supporting or promoting an "us against them" mentality.

    Assimilation, on the other hand, (at least in my opinion) is a far better option.

    While it may blur the lines and even cause the loss of some aspects of the former culture and society which a person entering it used to have...That is the goal, at least if you are attempting to produce a society along the lines of that I described above.

    In my mind, only if the entire world is assimilated into one single culture (or at least the majority of it) will actual world peace/harmony/whatever result.


    My problem with multiculturalism is the way it undermines liberal values. Liberalism involves a universally applied set of standards for individuals seeking to maximixe social justice, whereas multiculturalism represents a political philosophy that makes a huge assumption that there is no such thing social justice applicable to all, but instead, simply looks the other way at injustice as long as such injustice is limited to the functionings of a particular group. Since most of the subgroups living within western cultures are profoundly ILLIBERAL, such an attitude works strongly against liberal values.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #5
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    I disagree completely. It's quite possible to encourage better communication between various communities while each still has pride in their own cultural heritage and traditions. The world will never be "assimilated" and if it was, I don't think it'd result in world peace at all; rather, fighting would continue over other issues, just as it does within nations where most citizens are the same basic cultural background. We'd also lose the rightness and variety that makes our world not only a rich and interesting place, but a more informed one: by looking at various different societies, one can learn from their habits and practices and try and assess the effect of implementing similar policies at home, or realize that such policies are flawed in application and therefore avoid gong down the same path.

    The approach to treating illness favored by many Arab physicians in the Dark and Middle Ages (prescribing a healthy diet, cleaning wounds, applying poultices) influenced many English physicians of the time to move away from methods such as amputation of injured limbs and the puncture of diseased lungs. Seeing the social impact of China's "One Child Policy" shows us that such a policy cannot be successfully implemented without a great deal of error and suffering. Would we know such things if the world was one huge culturally homogenized mass?
    Perhaps my understanding of "multiculturalism" is flawed.

    I would have said that, if using an "assimilation" method, it would be quite possible for unique and diverse cultures could be assimilated into the whole, preferably eliminating the bad part of said cultures and keeping the good.
    Thus, diverse cultures could coexist without major disagreement, and even less with the second generation.

    The issues I have with "multiculturalism" follow:

    I was under the impression that "multiculturalism" would strive to preserve the whole culture of an immigrant, rather than allowing only that which did not violate the rules which were already in place in the culture the immigrant was entering.

    Further, it was my understanding that "multiculturalism" would support separate and specific rules for each culture which immigrated into the area. This, in my mind, would result in disunity and bigotry between cultures which conflict in certain areas. For example, the "place" of a woman in society. There are vast differences in that area which would have to be resolved, with extreme difficulty, if a (for the most part) smoothly functioning society were the goal.
    Many other such sticking points exist.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #6
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think a mixture of multiculturalism and assimilation is probably the best ideal.
    You may be correct.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #7
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    To be quite honest its the made up importance of culture.Culture cannot be allowed to trump science.It doesent matter if someone doesent believe something scientifically proven like evolution their opinion isnt as valid.

    Also when islamic courts decide a womans testnomy is worth half of a mans we can ignore this idea because its scientifically proven to be wrong.

    Whatever happened to sticks and stones? Sometimes your just gonna have to be against peoples cultural beliefs because they are wrong and/or dangerous.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    To be quite honest its the made up importance of culture.Culture cannot be allowed to trump science.It doesent matter if someone doesent believe something scientifically proven like evolution their opinion isnt as valid.

    Also when islamic courts decide a womans testnomy is worth half of a mans we can ignore this idea because its scientifically proven to be wrong.

    Whatever happened to sticks and stones? Sometimes your just gonna have to be against peoples cultural beliefs because they are wrong and/or dangerous.
    Yes, exactly. Any person from any culture in this country should live by our rules. This does not mean they should give up their whole cultural identity. Our laws trump Muslim law, but people can still be Muslim and maintain that identity. Assimilation and multiculturalism, hand ind hand. As time goes on, I think more and more assimilation will happen naturally.

  9. #9
    Cànan a' Gàidheal
    Anima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Coast of Scotland
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Perhaps my understanding of "multiculturalism" is flawed.

    I would have said that, if using an "assimilation" method, it would be quite possible for unique and diverse cultures could be assimilated into the whole, preferably eliminating the bad part of said cultures and keeping the good.
    Thus, diverse cultures could coexist without major disagreement, and even less with the second generation.

    The issues I have with "multiculturalism" follow:

    I was under the impression that "multiculturalism" would strive to preserve the whole culture of an immigrant, rather than allowing only that which did not violate the rules which were already in place in the culture the immigrant was entering.

    Further, it was my understanding that "multiculturalism" would support separate and specific rules for each culture which immigrated into the area. This, in my mind, would result in disunity and bigotry between cultures which conflict in certain areas. For example, the "place" of a woman in society. There are vast differences in that area which would have to be resolved, with extreme difficulty, if a (for the most part) smoothly functioning society were the goal.
    Many other such sticking points exist.
    I think we may be working from different basic definitions then, and this may be the problem. I've always understood the term multiculturalism as meaning havingpride in one's heritage and culture and trying to preserve it, even if this is not the dominant culture in their society, but I of course I that one must obey the laws of any nation one wishes to live in.

    One thing, I would say about the points you made above however, is that designating certain aspects of an immigrant community's culture as "good" and "bad" make for a fairly subjctive judgement. Who decides this, and what's the criteria? Obviously when it comes to issues like domestic violence, we can make such judgements, but what happens when the only indication that a custom is "bad" is that it's a bit different to how things are done in the host country?
    "I'll govern for all the ambitions of Scotland, and for all of the people who imagine that we can live in a better land. This party, the Scottish party, your party, carries your hope, and we shall carry it carefully, and make the nation proud."
    Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, Scottish National Party

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Conservative Part of California
    Last Seen
    04-12-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    285

    Re: Multiculturalism: Good idea or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    Who decides this, and what's the criteria? Obviously when it comes to issues like domestic violence, we can make such judgements, but what happens when the only indication that a custom is "bad" is that it's a bit different to how things are done in the host country?
    If you've decided to move to a host country - leave your family, your home, your country behind. Then we have a fairly good indication of what is bad, and what is good. The turn of the phrase is, I believe, 'voting with your feet.'

    Until proven otherwise, the host country is first and 'right' and 'good.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •