View Poll Results: Are ANY government regulations of the 2nd Amendment acceptable?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. It's a Constitutional Right & no regulatioins are acceptable.

    39 41.05%
  • Yes. Reasonable regulations are acceptable.

    45 47.37%
  • A law abiding citizen should have the right to own & carry full auto weapons.

    22 23.16%
  • A law abiding citizen should have the right to own & carry flame throwers.

    11 11.58%
  • A law abiding citizen should have the right to own & carry tactical nukes.

    1 1.05%
  • gun restrictions are necessary to prevent unauthorized use by nuts.

    16 16.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 681

Thread: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

  1. #161
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No, it's a Winchester.
    Just FYI...sitting on it isn't the best way to conceal a weapon
    :P
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Cops carry their guns in plain sight, making them much more likely to endure a gun-grab by a perp.
    I suggest that the kids would easily find out which teachers were packing & target them first. Nothing is secret in JHS or HS.
    (as Al Capone once said: "Two people are perfectly capable of keeping a secret.........As long as one of them is dead!")

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Also, many cops suck at weapons-retention skills (I used to be one, I know from experience.)
    So teachers would be better at weapons retention skills?
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-21-09 at 05:31 PM.

  3. #163
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I suggest that the kids would easily find out which teachers were packing & target them first. Nothing is secret in JHS or HS.
    (as Al Capone once said: "Two people are perfectly capable of keeping a secret.........As long as one of them is dead!")


    So teachers would be better at weapons retention skills?

    How would kids find out which teachers are packing? Specifics, not generalities, please.

    How would knowing a teacher was armed encourage students to attack him or her in order to obtain a firearm...when in point of fact there are far easier ways for them to obtain guns on the black market! If they can get weed, they can get a gun, and any teenage wild-child knows how to get weed. Also, I remember Coach Carlisle and Coach Bolick....they were scary enough unarmed, if I knew they were armed I'd be twice as unlikely to mess with them. (and I am not now and never was a wuss!)

    I teach armed and unarmed self-defense, shooting, disarming and retention to civilians. IMHO the average CCW is probably about as well-trained in the handling of arms as the average cop. I've known more (numerically more) CCW permit holders to go on and seek advanced training (and pay out of their pocket for it) than I've known ordinary street-cops to do the same.

    I would know, because that sort of thing is part of my world.
    Last edited by Goshin; 08-21-09 at 05:38 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #164
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,327

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Jallman was curious about registering an antique firearm. I posted information on California's laws regarding owning/registering antique firearms. Seems "relavant" [sic] to me. *shrug*

    Regardless, Jallman's response indicates that the information provided was relevant to him. Your snotty opinion matters not.


    forgive my "snotty attitude", but your ignorance on this subject is glaring. winchester still makes firearms today, therefore, claiming because it is a winchester it must be an "antique" is ignorant...


    Furthermore, you never asked him which winchester it was and when it was made, and therefore your bolding of CA law demonstrated purposeful stupidity on your part.


    Tell you what, when he wants to know about tofu and how to abort a baby at 10 monts he goes to you, when he wants to know about guns he comes to people like me who may know a bit more than you do... mmmmmkay?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    How would kids find out which teachers are packing? Specifics, not generalities, please.
    Specifics eh? We are talking about hypothetical situations so anything I say you can shoot down as not specific.
    Suffice it to say that most schools are not CIA Headquarters & secrets are few & far between.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    How would knowing a teacher was armed encourage students to attack him or her in order to obtain a firearm...when in point of fact there are far easier ways for them to obtain guns on the black market!
    I disagree. Knowing all they have to do is overpower Miss Landers is a very easy way to get a gun.




    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I teach armed and unarmed self-defense, shooting, disarming and retention to civilians. IMHO the average CCW is probably about as well-trained in the handling of arms as the average cop. I've known more (numerically more) CCW permit holders to go on and seek advanced training (and pay out of their pocket for it) than I've known ordinary street-cops to do the same.

    I would know, because that sort of thing is part of my world.
    I spent most of my life as a Special Agent in the Justice Dept. so I'm quite familiar with your world, & to argue that school personnel would make good candidates for advanced firearms training/tactical use is simply not a compelling argument to me.

  6. #166
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,327

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I spent most of my life as a Special Agent in the Justice Dept. .






    ................
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post




    ................
    A very useful & insightful comment to further this discussion.
    Back on ignore you go.

  8. #168
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Specifics eh? We are talking about hypothetical situations so anything I say you can shoot down as not specific.
    Suffice it to say that most schools are not CIA Headquarters & secrets are few & far between.
    I wouldn't want to disappoint you, so I'll say it: not specific enough.

    I'm not so old that I don't remember school. Sure there's a rumor-mill, a huge one...but the leakage between the teachers' rumor-mill and the student rumor-mill is mostly one-way. There was a rumor that my 10th grade English teacher carried a pistol in her purse... no one ever tried to find out for sure, and no one messed with her, and I have no idea if the rumor was true. At most students might have a suspicion that Mr. X or Ms Y was armed, but no certainty. They're as likely to guess wrong as right, or more so.

    Now, another point... students will ill-intentions are already bringing guns to school, guns obtained elsewhere. The Columbine killers obtained their weapons from nonschool sources.

    If there had been a few armed adult staffmembers at Columbine the body count might have been far lower.


    Next point: there are already some guns in schools. The "resource officers", LE's, typically carry them in plain sight. A couple of big, strong, young thugs acting together could have a decent chance of getting his gun, and they KNOW he has one because it is in plain sight. So, why doesn't this happen more often? Answer: because it is risky and there are easier ways of getting a gun.

    Taking a gun from Coach Bolick would be just as risky, IF you knew for sure he was packing and IF you could figure out WHERE the gun was concealed.


    I disagree. Knowing all they have to do is overpower Miss Landers is a very easy way to get a gun.
    As someone said, it is improbable that little Miss Landers, the delicate little flower that she is, will be one of the people packing. Let's say perhaps she's not so delicate as she seems, and she IS packing... first they have to know that she is with reasonable certainty (see CONCEALED CARRY), they need to figure out where the gun is concealed FIRST if they want to get to it before she does, and then they have to carry out their nefarious plot and hope the rumor mill was correct.

    Easier to buy a 'gat from the same guy you get your weed from and sneak it in.

    I spent most of my life as a Special Agent in the Justice Dept. so I'm quite familiar with your world, & to argue that school personnel would make good candidates for advanced firearms training/tactical use is simply not a compelling argument to me.

    My respects for your service, then... but I suspect that since I've been teaching civilians for several years now, I have a better appreciation than you, perhaps, for how many of them are indeed both willing and able to absorb advanced firearms training.

    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #169
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,235

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I voted yes, but only reasonable regulations. People must remember that the were no such things as flame throwers (though I do not see the harm in a person owning one), nuclear weapons and other modern technology. Thus, only handguns, rifles, and the such should be unregulated.
    There was artillery and artillery is regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should There Be Any Regulations To 2nd Amnendment Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I wouldn't want to disappoint you, so I'll say it: not specific enough.

    I'm not so old that I don't remember school.
    I'll admit that when I was in grade school (1950s) that there were only about 5 facts to learn....assuming I wasn't eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex on my way to school.......But I also remember school quite well!


    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Sure there's a rumor-mill, a huge one...but the leakage between the teachers' rumor-mill and the student rumor-mill is mostly one-way. There was a rumor that my 10th grade English teacher carried a pistol in her purse... no one ever tried to find out for sure, and no one messed with her, and I have no idea if the rumor was true. At most students might have a suspicion that Mr. X or Ms Y was armed, but no certainty. They're as likely to guess wrong as right, or more so.

    Now, another point... students will ill-intentions are already bringing guns to school, guns obtained elsewhere. The Columbine killers obtained their weapons from nonschool sources.

    If there had been a few armed adult staffmembers at Columbine the body count might have been far lower.
    You have a point & I don't pretend to know the best answer for stopping school killings. I just know that I don't like the idea of guns & childeren in close proximity & school personnel don't fill me with great confidence as potential Rambos.

Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •