View Poll Results: Is health care a right?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 36.59%
  • No

    52 63.41%
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 219

Thread: Is health care in the US a right?

  1. #61
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    According to the Consititution you have to pay taxes.
    Does not make it a right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #62
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No and I have shown already that is just an opinion. Many more learned than you or I disagree.
    You presented two partisan speeches. How does that translate to a majority that is learned?

  3. #63
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Since rights are human constructs, it's a right if humans decide it's a right. It's not if we decide it's not. I'm disappointed by the lack of an "other" option in the poll.

  4. #64
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    You presented two partisan speeches. How does that translate to a majority that is learned?
    And he presented an opinion?

    Now please point out where I said anything about a majority? And they have Ph d's, that qualifies as learned.

    Please read what I am saying and stop attributing things to me I did not say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #65
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Since rights are human constructs, it's a right if humans decide it's a right. It's not if we decide it's not. I'm disappointed by the lack of an "other" option in the poll.
    I agree, wish I had thought of that. Can a mod change it and add other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #66
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post

    No it is not considered a human right. As I said just because the government forces you to do something does not make it a right. So I guess since the government forces me to pay taxes, it is a right?
    Your mixing apples and oranges here. Taxes to pay for services provided by the government result from the positive rights, in this case the rights of others to petition their government and elect representatives to vote on their behalf, of others. For example, say I would like to have a better state park system in my state. I get together with others and build enough support among voters to enact a 1/8 cent sales tax to fund my state's department of conservation. Thus, I along with the majority of the voters in the state exercised our positive right to enact a tax to fund conservation in the state. Since you don't have a right to not pay taxes, as part of the implied social contract you have as a resident of the state, you are required to pay the tax.

    However, if the majority of the citizens of a state attempted to pass a law that put significant restrictions on the freedom of expression, that law would be successfully challenged in court because you do have a right to freedom of expression as an individual, thus even if the majority of the citizens of your state wished to restrict that right, the constitution protects you against that tyranny of the majority. In this case, your negative rights are always given precedence over the positive rights of others.

    The reason why a hospital cannot deny life saving care to an individual even if they cannot pay is the individual's human right to life saving care is given precedence over the self ownership rights of the hospital owner. The only reason why that is possible is you have a recognized human right to life saving health care.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #67
    Student Gwendoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 07:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    244

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Do you think food is a right?

    Do you think shelter is a right?

    Do you think a job is a right?
    No, I'd prefer that people should die of starvation and freeze to death in the snow. And no, people shouldn't have a right to a job because then they would be able to feed themselves and put a roof over their heads... and we can't have that.

    In fact, I think all three are rights. That's MY ideology. People die of starvation all over the world. The fact that food is not being provided to all the starving, dying of our world speaks for how stupid our world is. But you and others can just keep raving about taxes and the guns at your head. Cos YOUR lives are under such serious diabolical threat, lol.

  8. #68
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    It's not a right. It's merely good policy.

  9. #69
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Depends on how we characterize a right.

  10. #70
    Cànan a' Gàidheal
    Anima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Coast of Scotland
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Is health care in the US a right?

    Morally, yeah, it is. By virtue of our own humanity, you deserve health cae. No-one in this day and age should be dying due to lack of coverage, or because their insurer wouldn't cover the treatment they needed, or because just going to see a doctor cost so much that one has to put off seeking evalation until it's too late, and what would've been a managable condition becomes a killer. If your government feels entitled to tax you, ask you to follow the law and be a funcioning member of society, then tryin to help you stay healthy and alive is the damn well least they can do. You deserve no less.

    According to US law? Don't know, don't give a damn. Law's aren't the ultimate arbitar of right and wrong.
    "I'll govern for all the ambitions of Scotland, and for all of the people who imagine that we can live in a better land. This party, the Scottish party, your party, carries your hope, and we shall carry it carefully, and make the nation proud."
    Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, Scottish National Party

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •