View Poll Results: The Government Should Invest In...

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solar

    9 19.15%
  • Wind

    3 6.38%
  • Geothermal

    1 2.13%
  • Nuclear

    22 46.81%
  • Oil

    0 0%
  • Coal

    1 2.13%
  • Hydroelectric

    1 2.13%
  • Other

    10 21.28%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 106

Thread: Energy Policy

  1. #11
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Energy Policy

    There should be an, "all of the above", option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Energy Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Murphy's law.
    If you're that scared of nuclear power then you should just live in your basement. People have a better chance of dying in a car-crash than being harmed by a nuclear power plant.

    Also the 150 or so storage sites are excellent targets for terrorism.
    150 sites? Source please.

    Why should a nuclear waste facility be an excellent target for terrorists? Simply isolate them and guard them...not that hard to do.

    Why does it even matter? Navy battleships are also an excellent target for terrorists. Should we get rid of battleships, or stop building more? Maybe we could let the terrorists decide our energy policy for us? That seems like the logical conclusion of your argument.

    Sez you.
    Solar and wind energy account for a measly portion of America's overall energy consumption. [1] Solar and wind energy suffer from engineering and distribution problems that render them incapable of operating efficiently on a large scale. That's a fact.

    [1] - Electric Power Annual - Summary Statistics for the United States

    In west Texas there building ****loads of solar and windfarms.
    How much energy will this new investment produce? Please provide a credible link.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Energy Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There should be an, "all of the above", option.
    You have to pick one.

    I just want people choose what they feel is the most viable energy investment.

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Energy Policy

    Nuclear for sure.

    It's by far the most efficient and cost-effective.

    To those worrying about the waste:

    All of the nuclear waste produced in powering the entire US for the next 20 years could fit in a hole that was 18 yards on each side.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/archiv...post1057575155
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Energy Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Nuclear for sure.

    It's by far the most efficient and cost-effective.

    Richard Littlemore | Nuclear Energy: Expensive, Dangerous, Not Cost-Effective


    Amory Lovins and Imran Sheikh have penned a new report on nuclear energy as a fossil fuel option, concluding that nuclear is still dangerous and complicated, not particularly reliable, creates a pollution problem that lasts for many millennia and is therefore a waste of money that could be spent more productively on renewable energy.

    Perhaps most devastating to the free market fans, Lovins and Sheikh note that "nuclear power plants are unfinanceable in the private capital market because of their excessive costs and financial risks and the high uncertainty of both."

    "During the nuclear revival now allegedly underway, no new nuclear project on earth has been financed by private risk capital, chosen by an open decision process, nor bid into the world’s innumerable power markets and auctions. No old nuclear plant has been resold at a value consistent with a market case for building a new one."

  6. #16
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Energy Policy

    This is a blog by some guy that few know or care about...

    "Richard spent 20 years in daily newspapers (the Ottawa Citizen, the Winnipeg Tribune, the Vancouver Sun), before turning his hand in 1995 to freelance journalism and public affairs. He wrote the David Suzuki Foundation’s first public information package on climate change in 1996, was vice-chair of the Greater Vancouver Regional District's Air Quality Committee in 1996 and 1997 and sat as a delegate to the Canadian government's (failed) Kyoto Implementation Process from 1997 to 1999."

    Don't see anything that qualifys him in the group above.

    "In addition to his DeSmog endeavours, Richard is a regular speech writer for many business and academic leaders and is a senior counsellor and the lead writer at James Hoggan and Associates.

    OK speech wrtitter? nothing that qualifies him here.

    "Most importantly, he is a parent to three teenage boys who, like all children of their generation, deserve to inherit a world uncompromised by climate change."

    Thats a pretty bold statement considering climate change has been going on ohhh... since before life existed on the planet?

    "Richard Littlemore has been trained by Al Gore as part of The Climate Project, an initiative designed to educate the public about climate change.

    OK so the man is a green nutbag trained by manbearpig himself.

    Great source for evidence against nuclear power you got here.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 08-18-09 at 07:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #17
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Energy Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    You have to pick one.

    I just want people choose what they feel is the most viable energy investment.
    My point, is that none of them are viable, on it's own. If we had an energy policy that utilizes all of the energy producing methods that currently exist, we could tell OPEC to drink their oil for the next several hundred years. Not to mention all the energy jobs that would be created. If there were a broader focus then a stand alone energy source would have a higher probability of being born out of the combined technologies. If we focus only on one, or two, then we'll be using those one, or two forever, getting pissed off because the technology only goes so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #18
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Energy Policy

    Hydro and geothermal are excellent sources of power, but they require certain geographic conditions so you can't build them everywhere. Wind and Solar can be built in many more geographic conditions, but don't have a consistent power output. Nuclear can be built anywhere but requires uranium for fuel, as well overhead in dealing with disposal. Coal and oil have nasty pollution and oil is far more useful in others areas.

    Overall the goal of energy policy should shift to creating the cleanest energy source with low recurring costs and as few foreign dependencies as possible.
    I see this best accomplished by using a mix of energy sources. Solar is optimal for the bulk of peak energy uses but obviously can't operate at night without massive energy storage capability. Nuclear is useful for its reliability and that we can get its fuel from Canada and Australia instead of less friendly countries. Wind, hydro electric and geothermal are supplementary, but you might as well build them when practical.

  9. #19
    Educator
    Slainte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Last Seen
    02-15-13 @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,061

    Re: Energy Policy

    I am not convinced that nuclear, all things considered, is much more cost effective than wind. Estimates I remember put it at around 8-9 cents/kWh. Onshore wind is about 6-9 cents/kWh assuming a load factor of around 25%. Main problem with onshore wind is most of the best sites are far away from the population centers, increasing connection costs. Offshore wind solves that problem, but is more expensive per kWh, even with higher load factors, although right now a limited supply chain inflates offshore costs in the US significantly.

    No renewable sources can compete with either gas or coal at current fuel prices without factoring in carbon cost. When you do factor carbon cost coal gets quite expensive, leaving gas. Gas will overtake coal as the number one source of electricity in the US by 2020/25. However gas prices are volatile for political reasons.

    As for the others, solar is still experimental and hydro and geothermal are limited, but should definetly be built where possible.

    Seeing how I only got one vote, I went for wind.
    We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Energy Policy

    France has already demonstrated that none of this is true. You people are just irrationally obsessed with "going green" so you will stand in the way of anything, no matter how much sense it makes or much better it is than your crappy ideas.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •